Transparent Surf Bar, Do you like it or not?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Sean Mota

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
New York City
The surf bar transparent menu is cool with me and I like it to be part of the software with a way to turn it off or on. Even give us the option to have it as a default or not. What's your opinion?

• Give me an option to either have default or not (system menu).
  • Give me an easy way to turn on/off from the remote
  • Keep all other menus (like info, program planner screens) transparent as long as I have it on.
  • Make work in any resolution

Love the transperancy, especially when I'm "slummin" over on the SD Travel Channel to watch the Championship Poker. The full bar blocks two of the players hands and can be quite annoying...Not t hat this is a life and death issue though...

I like it...

Though we must have a menu option for turning it always on or always off.

Dish Network has something similiar. When you click info a second time things go transparent. I do not like this process. Voom needs transperancy to be a menu option. ON or OFF.

Might be nice to have transparency as an option for ALL menus. IE: Favorites and channel guide surfing. With my 41" tv, the small image in the corner is too small anyway.

Maybe needs to be a little less transparent because when bottom half of screen is dark, it next to impossible to read. Used DVE on TV, but not ISF yet. For the most part, the opinion is still out.

I find it a little hard to read. I'm sure they will tweak it in the next release.

Should be a good feature, but maybe just a little less transparent. On my old DTV box, there were multiple levels of transparency. I'm sure once Voom gets the transparancy settings into the menu there will be the same thing.

-John

For those of us who like (or are stuck with) MS Office, the latest version of Outlook has something similar. When an e-mail arrives, we get a notification with some transparency. The nice thing is you get a scroll bar to configure the degree of transparency. If not for that scroll bar, I'd really hate the transparency feature for the same reasons people here have mentioned. So, my vote is not only to have an on/off option, but to also be able to control how transparent the surf bar appears. I might like to have this option for all the Voom menus.

janello said:
I have the updated software, but have not seen a transparent guide?? Looks like the same guide as before upgrade.. ????

Click the Voom button, click on the green Options and Settings button, go to the System Settings page and click the Watch button and try the Info button, it should be working... note, if you have your STB set for 720 or Native it will go away when you change channels... if you're set to 1080 it will stay put... if you go to System Settings and use the Back button, it will go away...

I like this transparency menu bar but I can't seemed to turn it on consistently. It's hit or miss for one of STB but the other one, I can't turn it on no matter what I do. But either way, this type of feature is nice to have but I can survive with or without it.

My preference would be for two sliders in the configuration.
1) controls the transparency of the text/yellow bar.
2) controls the transparency of the grey/black background.
That way, I could set mine as 90%/0% and get a bold yellow surf bar and a fully clear background image.

In some cases (depending on the background) the Surf Bar is hard to read. If it can't be made configurable, I would prefer the solid one.

I like it, but it should be more like some features on my Mac OS X based hardware, where they give you a slider to set the transparency with a value from 0 to 100. It's a little too transparent for my tastes right now. I have a bit of trouble reading it depending on the back ground. The other thing is, every menu, and static object that pops up on the screen should have this transparency feature so that it doesn't burn in our HDTV's! I'm especially worried about the guide screen with the PIP.

:(

Help - not transparent here

I have 6.1 now but surf bar is not transparent, it's black

I haven't seen the transparent surf bar - and frankly it's not important enough to me to spend much time trying.

It wasnt an important issue for me either. At times it is difficult to read...I actually liked the guide the way it was. I agree that an option to turn on or off the transparent guide would be great.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts