transponder issues

Status
Please reply by conversation.
on 101W all transponders (except for spotbeams which have been posted above) should be at minimum low to mid 90's
most of mine are mid 90's with 7 100's

By the way, when you guys refer to a "peaked dish", how 'peaked' is peaked?

There ya go, good question,
The dish should be pointed on exactly the same horizontal and vertical plane as the signal from the sat. When this happens the meter records / displays a maximum signal. And that is what the term "peaking" refers to.
Once you have hit the signal in enough alignment to record on the signal meter you adjust one parameter at a time until both the horizontal reading and the vertical reading only go down when you move the dish even a little. If you think of the shape of a sine wave that will help. Regardless of the top number, when you reach it anything past the maximum (or peak) signal begins to go down. You lock down the vertical adjustment (elevation) and "peak the horizontal (azimuth). Then you lock down the az and "peak the elevation...then check the az again. At some point no adjustment will raise the signal; dish is peaked..........The trick Chip pointed out is to just pooosh the edges of the dish without unlocking it............signals should go down.....if they go up...that is the direction to adjust to "peak" the dish.

From what you have said...things are pointing at a box problem or a meter problem within the DVR. The DVR will work but it's signal meter is goofy (another technical term.) A port on the multiswitch could also be goofy and you may be able to bypass it and use another.

Joe

Last edited:
I have 'peaked' the transponders. All are in the high 80s and above. The basic receiver still gets all the programming and the old and new DVRs still get the "searching for signal on Sat. 2" error. So, I am going to purchase a new multiswitch and a new LBN. Any thoughts on that?
Thanks to everyone for all the help.

I have 'peaked' the transponders. All are in the high 80s and above. The basic receiver still gets all the programming and the old and new DVRs still get the "searching for signal on Sat. 2" error. So, I am going to purchase a new multiswitch and a new LBN. Any thoughts on that?
Thanks to everyone for all the help.

OK,
Before you buy anything...go to the back of the DVR and switch the cables.......you are looking to see if SAT 2 will work with the known-to-be-good cable that is now servine SAT 1. IF SAT 2 shows it is working then you know the other cable....or multiswitch port is defective. IF Sat 2 does not show a signal with the known-to-be-good cable...the box has a defective Sat2 tuner.

Joe

Before you buy anything...go to the back of the DVR and switch the cables.......you are looking to see if SAT 2 will work with the known-to-be-good cable that is now servine SAT 1. IF SAT 2 shows it is working then you know the other cable....or multiswitch port is defective. IF Sat 2 does not show a signal with the known-to-be-good cable...the box has a defective Sat2 tuner.
My read of the OP gave me the impression that the receiver has been attached to both DVR cables and both worked. This suggests that the cabling has already been verified. Maybe I misread.

My read of the OP gave me the impression that the receiver has been attached to both DVR cables and both worked. This suggests that the cabling has already been verified. Maybe I misread.

Oooops,

I missed that..........the box is toast.......one dead tuner!

Joe

So both dvrs have the exact same issue? Maybe, but I'm still not convinced. Have you called Directv about a service call?

Well, I got my new lnb and hooked it up. The satellite signals all greatly improved with lots of 100s and high 90s. So I guess the lnb did need to be replaced. However, I still get the searching for signal on Sat. 2 error. Is it at all possible that the multiswitch could be the final issue? I really hate the idea of dealing with
Directv over the phone.

swap the cables between the switch and the receiver. If it still says bad tuner 2 then the receiver is bad. If it follows to tuner 1 then its just a bad cable

Ok, here is what I did: I hooked up the new DVR. When I put either cable in the back marked Sat2 I get a signal on the higher channels, but not the lower ones (364 and 8). When I put either cable in Sat1, the higher and lower channels do not work. This is with both cables loose and putting them in one at a time. On the lower channels it doesn't seem to matter which cable is in what connection in the back, I still get the searching for signal on satellite in 2. Of course, either cable gets all the channels on the old receiver.

...I still get the searching for signal on Sat. 2 error. Is it at all possible that the multiswitch could be the final issue?
Since it was first mentioned, I've wondered why you have a multiswitch in the system at all. Could you explain that?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts