Transponder NSS7

Status
Please reply by conversation.

davies_z

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Oct 31, 2004
Sir,
On NSS7, transponder 11171V (West Africa Beam)is supposed to give me some 13 FTA channels according to this site www.lyngsat.com/nss7.html but it doesnt. Please give me more information about this transponder and any changes that have be made on it.
Thanks
davies_z

Use Lyngsat as a guide, but keep in mind that free channels change from time to time. I've noticed that Lyngsat is not always updated with the latest information. For example, in the US, many of the Equity channels on Galaxy 10R have been moved, but Lyngsat still shows all of the channels as FTA.

If your receiver has blind scan capabilites, you should be able to scan for all FTA channels, but don't go by Lyngsat as the best source for the most recent FTA channels. Hopefully there will be people on this site who can verify what is FTA on this particualr Satellite.

rjc3895 said:
Use Lyngsat as a guide, but keep in mind that free channels change from time to time. I've noticed that Lyngsat is not always updated with the latest information. For example, in the US, many of the Equity channels on Galaxy 10R have been moved, but Lyngsat still shows all of the channels as FTA.

All the 10R ones are still there as of this morning :)

Ice,
Thanks for the clarification. I thought Equity was moving them. Currently I can't get G10R (need to tweak my motor/dish settings). So I can't see whats up there.

so does it mean i need a new dish say 120 cm to receive signals from this transponder (11171V)?.

I don't know what it means. I know you said the beam simply "doesn't" have the channels LyngSat says it does. I don't know where you are in relation to the footprint map. I don't know exactly why you say the channels aren't there. Did a friend down the road tell you he used to be able to pick them up but they're gone? Did you try to point a dish at it but couldn't find it? Are you typically able to find other satellites easily?

Me, when I try to point at a satellite and nothing's there, it usually means I'm not pointing it in the right direction. :)

If you are in the Northern Hemisphere and wishing to receive 11171 on NSS7 you are outside of the spot beam. This is a beam providing coverage of a small portion of Western Africa. You might find a side lobe that isn't documented, but where that lobe might appear and what size of dish that would be required is a blind shot at best! Where are you located?

i am located in Lagos, Nigeria and why I worry is because the only FTA channel I receive on NSS7 is TV5 Afrique. I need more FTA channels and if Lyngsat says its there and I cant get it then that's supposed to make me wonder if all my Fortec can get is 1 channel. I feel so bad If by sunday I cant get any channels more I;ll dispose of my receiver.

You are in the 50 - 51 dB eirp footprint of this bird, so a 75 - 90 cm dish would be fine. NSS7 is a linear polarized satellite requiring a universal type LNBF. What size of dish and what type of LNBF are you using?

The transponder that you wish to receive is also vertical, so the polarity switching will not be an issue, but the LNBF high / low LO switching might be an issue.

When you are tuned to TV5 Afrique press the i button on the remote. What is the frequency that the info bar displays? What is the quality level on this channel?

Have you attempted a Power Scan on this bird or are you scanning the preprogrammed transponder list?

yes I am scanning the pre programmed transponder list.But if the signal rate and downlink frequency correspond to what lyngsat says then I wonder the problem. Or have those channels left that transponder and lyngsat hasnt updated? In fact that transponder couldnt be detected.
Anyway are there any other satellites that are above my area that can give me quality KU channels apart from, PAS10,NSS7???

Status
Please reply by conversation.

What's DVB?

Problem with vp1022a

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)