Traveling with Dish Network

Ken Lynch

Original poster
May 18, 2010
Hudson Valley
I was originally set up with two dishes, one to receive 119 & 110, and a second to receive 61.5. Recently I got converted by Dish to a single dish to receive 65.1, 72(?) and 77. However, when I travel I have been using two Dish 500 antennas for the old setup. My question is can I use the existing two antenna combination to receive the new 61.5, 72(?), 77 combination? Another way to ask the question is as follows. Is the curvature of the dish 500 such that it can pick up two of the 3 satellite combination for 61.5, 72(?), 77? The reason I would like to keep the two antenna travel setup is because I boondoggle/dry camp in tree infested areas. I quite often search for a day or two to find holes in the canopy in order to get reception on just 119, 110, and 61.5. Having options for other satellites would make life much easier.

Unless you receive locals on 77, you only need 61.5 and 72.7. I believe that some have received both 61.5 and 72.7 on a Dish 500, but I would think their signal levels may be lower than normal with that setup since they are separated by 11 degrees and not the designed 9 degrees. You can use two dishes (one for 61.5 and one for 72.7) for your setup for maximum signal.

Because I travel outside of the area for spot beam coverage of local HD channels, I still like to get the local channels in non HD. Judging from your response if I get two different dishes (different curvatures) yet keep the dish 500 LNBs things might work. With this existing combination of 500 LNBs, can I ever get up to recognizing four different satellites?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts