Traveling with Receiver Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pnessutt

Original poster
Apr 28, 2007
I'm wondering if you can help me. I am looking to configure an additional receiver and satelite dish for when we travel in our motor home. We currently have a home configuration that includes 2 older A series Sony units and one of the new HD DirecTv receivers. We would like to purchase an additional unit and dish to take with us for our travel so we can continue to use our DirecTv service. Does anyone have any thoughts on how we can do this and what we would need for equipment, setup, etc.? We are willing to buy what is necessary and would get another receiver - preferably HD - for our motorhome when we travel.

Thanks for your help and support in this effort.

I'm wondering if you can help me. I am looking to configure an additional receiver and satelite dish for when we travel in our motor home. We currently have a home configuration that includes 2 older A series Sony units and one of the new HD DirecTv receivers. We would like to purchase an additional unit and dish to take with us for our travel so we can continue to use our DirecTv service. Does anyone have any thoughts on how we can do this and what we would need for equipment, setup, etc.? We are willing to buy what is necessary and would get another receiver - preferably HD - for our motorhome when we travel.

Thanks for your help and support in this effort.
You have many options depending on your definition of camping. From pitching a tent to a commercial RV you can have a simple tripod mounted dish that you setup and take down at each stop to a Trackvision(spelling) that can be used while driving down the road. The simplest and most common is a 101 18" dish on a tripod with a basic receiver that you track in at each stop. HDTV is a little impractical if you consider setting up a 5 LNB dish every day.:) :)

What to Purchase?

You have many options depending on your definition of camping. From pitching a tent to a commercial RV you can have a simple tripod mounted dish that you setup and take down at each stop to a Trackvision(spelling) that can be used while driving down the road. The simplest and most common is a 101 18" dish on a tripod with a basic receiver that you track in at each stop. HDTV is a little impractical if you consider setting up a 5 LNB dish every day.:) :)

Thank you for your feedback. Can you explain the process I would go through and the equipment I would acquire? For example:
  • What do I use to quickly "track-in" the satellite(s)? Is there a tool that I can buy to help me do this?
  • What receiver would I buy? And is there a wiring kit that I can use to run the wires from the dish to my receiver?
  • Where can I buy the dish and receiver?
Thanks again for your help and support with this.

-Bob

Thank you for your feedback. Can you explain the process I would go through and the equipment I would acquire? For example:
  • What do I use to quickly "track-in" the satellite(s)? Is there a tool that I can buy to help me do this?
  • What receiver would I buy? And is there a wiring kit that I can use to run the wires from the dish to my receiver?
  • Where can I buy the dish and receiver?
Thanks again for your help and support with this.

-Bob
You don't quickly track in a system, a signal strength meter is the most common aid to tracking in a dish. Experience is what it takes to correctly align a satellite dish rapidly. Practice with the equipment you buy and it will become easier the more you do it.

Today you don't buy a receiver you lease it from D*, a D11 basic receiver would probably be what you need. Go to D* web site and select equipment.

A RV dealer is one source for camping equipment, any satellite dealer can probably help you out. www.skyvision.com is an online source.

I use mine camping some and I notice many others in the campgrounds do also so I just look where they have theirs pointed and point mine in the same general direction with the tv and reciever on the setup screen and listen for the beeps.. in my case i dont usually venture far enuff off that i have to change the angle on the dish just point it, find it and tie it down.

Bill

Status
Please reply by conversation.