Status
Please reply by conversation.

Former Cbandguy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 14, 2007
Oakville, CT
On the Traxis 3500 DBS receiver

1. What function does the "Go to Reference" do and what is it's purpose?

2. What function does the "Recalculation" do and what is it's purpose?

3. When using the Traxis 3500 DBS receiver with the Trimax 2500 satellite meter, should I connect the satellite antenna cable that is going directly into the Traxis 3500 DBS receiver directly to the satellite meter or should I leave the antenna cable inserted directly into the Traxis 3500 DBS receiver and use the IF outpoot Loop and run a cable from that output to the Trimax 2500 satellite meter? Which is better?

4. When the antenna satellite cable is connected to the Trimax 2500 satellite meter directly, whether it be directly or through the outgoing loop of the Traxis receiver, should I move the dish using the Traxis 3500 DBS remote to move the dish or should I use the Trimax 2500 satellite meter to use the dish?

5. I have programmed all my domestic satellites with the 3500 Traxis DBS receiver using the USALS function and I have much better luck finding satellites with this feature than with the DiSEqC function. Why is that? When I try to find a satellite using the DiSEqC function, I have a difficult time trying to locate any signals. I have even programmed the proper frequences, symbol rates and polarities but no such luck. Why is that?

6. When I try to locate a satellite using the DiSEqC function and move the satellite east and west using the Traxis DBS 3500 receiver remote, I get no meter reading or signal strength when searching for satellites. I'm wondering if my Traxis DBS 3500 receiver is not working properly or if it is a great difficulty to try and locate a satellite with this receiver. I would think when you move the satellite that you would receive some sort of signal but nothing ever happens when I do this. Why would that be?

Please offer your answers, suggestions and comments. Thanks

Last edited:
Go to reference, as far as I know, just means go to zero reference point on the motor (which should be pointed south). Recalculate, is supposed to realign the satellites you have stored, after you have located the first satellite with Diseqc 1.2. It never worked for me either, but it was prob because I knew little about it at the time. Can't help with the Trimax meter, never used one. USALS is just an 'enhanced" Diseqc 1.2, a program included with most receivers. Makes setting up the satellite's arc at your location a lot easier, once the lat/long is entered, the motor is able to determine where to drive the dish for a given location in the arc.
That's a simplification, but the general idea. And seems to work very well once you have the dish/motor aligned to due south, and have corrected your east/west setting and motor elevation. The fact that you can't find anything with Diseqc 1.2 may be that the motor is moving the dish too quickly past the satellite you seek, or that an active TP isn't being selected before moving the dish.

On the Traxis 3500 DBS receiver

1. What function does the "Go to Reference" do and what is it's purpose?

Takes the motor to its zero reference point.

2. What function does the "Recalculation" do and what is it's purpose?

don't know, don't use that funtion.

3. When using the Traxis 3500 DBS receiver with the Trimax 2500 satellite meter, should I connect the satellite antenna cable that is going directly into the Traxis 3500 DBS receiver directly to the satellite meter or should I leave the antenna cable inserted directly into the Traxis 3500 DBS receiver and use the IF outpoot Loop and run a cable from that output to the Trimax 2500 satellite meter? Which is better?

I split the LNB line (Traxis powers the motor, dc-blocked port goes to my meter, not a Trimax but similar). I like the traxis to power the motor/lnb becuase that takes a little bit of power and it saves the battery (the current charge) on my sat meter by doing it that way.

4. When the antenna satellite cable is connected to the Trimax 2500 satellite meter directly, whether it be directly or through the outgoing loop of the Traxis receiver, should I move the dish using the Traxis 3500 DBS remote to move the dish or should I use the Trimax 2500 satellite meter to use the dish?

I say use the Traxis because you can use its power to save your meter's battery plus you can pop settings into the traxis as you go about installing your dish.

5. I have programmed all my domestic satellites with the 3500 Traxis DBS receiver using the USALS function and I have much better luck finding satellites with this feature than with the DiSEqC function. Why is that? When I try to

I have no idea why. USALS helped quite a bit when I was trying to find my end sat (probably because it was able to drive my dish to an exact spot in the arc where my extreme sat was, and I found it by elevation adjustment and then was able to tweak the arc from there). USALS is far from perfect as some sats aren't calculated quite right so I use diseqc 1.2 to program in those few satellites that USALS can't find properly.

6. When I try to locate a satellite using the DiSEqC function and move the satellite east and west using the Traxis DBS 3500 receiver remote, I get no meter reading or signal strength when searching for satellites. I'm wondering if my

I can't answer that. I look at a spectrum analyzer whenever I use the diseqc 1.2 function to locate and peak on sats so I"ve never paid attention to the S/Q meter in those cases to notice if it works in diseqc 1.2 mode or only in USALS mode.

skysurfer

Status
Please reply by conversation.