Traxis DBS-3500 or Mercury II

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

peanut

Original poster
Mar 22, 2008
I would like to pick up a new receiver for blind scanning in the near future. I can't make my mind up between the Mercury II and the traxis dbs-3500. Can anyone who has owned either offer any pros /cons about them?

Does the Traxis DBS-3500 sport the "Stab-USALS" logo?

THANKS!!

Have a traxis 3500, it is a nice blind-scan receiver, much faster than most and has a very sensitive tuner. Very good on low-symbol rate signals too, it will pick up channels my Viewsat can't see nor display.
The menus are a bit clunky, no fast way to delete old transponders without using a computer program (or spending lots of time with the remote control)
and it will LOCK UP on some 4.2.2 or HD feeds that it finds-to the point I have to switch off power, unplug lnb cable, then power back up and delete the offensive channel, power down again and reattach lnb cable. Luckily that doesn't happen that often, were it not for that I'd prob have 3 of them lol. Edit to add> Traxis 3500 has the diseqc 1.2 , does pass AC=3 audio out, and has exceptional video, and an S-video out jack.
SatelliteAV is offering a great deal on a Merc 2 and I believe I'm going to finally order one!

Last edited:
Don't have either, but to my knowledge no problems with using USALS on the Traxis. If you want component outputs, go with the Mercury II.

The Mercury II, in my opinion, has no flaws. It is a solid FTA box, with a very informative blindscan, and solid motor support. I have other competent FTA boxes , but the Merc is always the one I come back to, when any issue arises. I can get the answer with the Mercury II. It is solid. I have a spare in the drawer .

:)

Brent

I have played with both, can't get enough of the Traxis super fast scan, so for feed hunting I would go with the Traxis 3500.

I've only had experience with a Satworks, nice receiver, slow as all get out on the blind scan. The first time I scanned with the Traxis 3500 it happened so fast I didn't know what was going on. It took me awhile to get use to that. Since I don't know anything about the Mercury I can't say one way or another which one to buy. All I can say is I love my Traxis 3500.:)

I really like my Fortec Merc II

I would say I'm still relatively new to FTA compared to some of the folks here but I have the Fortec Merc II. I have a fixed dish pointed to 123W --- G10R.

The "Power Scan" (blind scan) on the Merc II is very good and because I'm so new to this hobby; really helps me.

I have no data or experience with the Traxis.

Thanks all for the information.
I ordered the mercury II from Sat-AV.
I have a few questions, but will start a new thread for that.

sitting on the fence

Last year when I went looking for a good blind-scanner, I considered both, as well as the Pansat 3500sd.
(maybe a few others)
I tried to read everyone's compliments and criticisms to help narrow down the field.

At the time, the Traxis had some flaw (related to AC3, if I recall), and the price was falling due to poor support. $70?
The Mercury II seemed to be the flagship of both Sadoun and SatelliteAV, and quite popular on the market. $140?
I was uncomfortable with the Merc for some reason (price?); or maybe because it seemed to diverge from their family of products.

Both got firmware upgrades and appeared pretty equal in all but price.
When I saw a Canadian deal ($80?) on a Mercury II last summer, I jumped on it, but only after considerably more research.

From what I could see, 90% of buyers of either receiver liked 'em pretty well.
A few (especially the more experienced) seemed to dislike unfamiliar menu structures, or some other minor feature.
The less experienced users seemed to like either receiver quite well, especially if upgrading from a box with poor switch support, poor motor support, or lacking blind scan.

Today, the price of the Traxis has rebounded a bit, and the Mercury has fallen (possibly due to waining hack-support).
I don't have a Traxis to compare, but based on published comments, I'd conclude a new user would be pretty happy with either receiver.
The seasoned veterans can continue to point out the benefits of one over the other. ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts