SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Apr 24, 2008
The new STB from DMSI.

Functions:
DVB-S/2+PVR+Wi-Fi+GPRS+MULTI CAS+ DONGLE + LAN(CCCAM, NEWCAMD, Twin)
ALi3606 Processor, The product supports full HD function, enables high definition and standard
definition on DVB- S/S2, and support both MEPG-2 and MPEG4/H.264.

Features:
Dual CPU, 396 MHz MIPS Processor
SCPC & MCPC Receivable from C/KU Band
HDMI Video/Audio Output
Video solution 1080p, 1080i, 720p, 576p, 480p, 576i, 480i
Audio Decoding: AC3, LPCM, LC-AAC, AAC, MP3
Fully MPEG-4 H.264/AVC. Main Profile Level 3 & High Profile Level 4.1 Complaint.
Fully MEPG-2 MP@HL & MP@ML;MPEG-1 Layer ‡T.‡U.‡V. Dolby Audio (AC3) Compliant
Digital Audio Output: SPDIF By Coaxial, YPbPr available.
Support WI-FI
10/100 Mbps Ethernet
Auto DiSEqC1.0 setting
LNB short-circuit protection
Editing the list of satellites on the computer
Automatic, Manual Channel and blind scan Options
DiSEqC1.0, 1.1, Unicable, 1.2 and USALS Supported
PVR Time Shift and Playback Supported
PVR function support, 2 x USB 2.0 high speed (FAT, FAT32, NTFS)
Fully support to 7 days electronic program guide(EPG)
News, Map and Weather Applications Via Network
Upgrade Software & Channel Database Through LAN Port or USB 2.0 of RS232

Attachments

• dbs6100hd-brochure.pdf
    396.2 KB · Views: 683
Nice to see them come out with another receiver!

Traxis receivers have always been nice receivers. Tim knows what hes doing when it comes to making receivers.

[h=2]Traxis DBS6100HD[/h]The new STB from DMSI.

Functions:
DVB-S/2+PVR+Wi-Fi+GPRS+MULTI CAS+ DONGLE + LAN(CCCAM, NEWCAMD, Twin)

What is CCCAM and NEWCAMD?

Without looking at it further it sounds like a fancy way to say it supports 3G dongles. These are pretty commonplace in Europe for use with STB's. Some of our STB's support it but I've never bothered to try. Seems like 3G is on the slow side for doing IPTV and VOD streaming.

From what I've read, GPRS and the dongle is popular for um, er, ah.... you know! ;) wink, wink, nod, nod, tickle, tickle, chuckle, chuckle. Google GPRS IKS for an eyeful...

Well that clears that up. :eek:

Nice!

What is GPRS?

From what I've read, GPRS and the dongle is popular for um, er, ah.... you know! ;) wink, wink, nod, nod, tickle, tickle, chuckle, chuckle. Google GPRS IKS for an eyeful...

From looking at the 3G setups a bit more I don't see how they are specifically tied to something like this but probably like most other things can be modified, adapted or abused. I don't know how Tim has the Traxis 3606 set up but with something like an A1/A2 the 3G is supposed to work more or less like plugging a 3G dongle into an Android tablet. It gives you an internet connection, nothing more nothing less. They have drivers in the FW for certain models and 3G carriers. I could be wrong but I don't think any of the supported devices are even available in North America.

I do keep an Android phone with unlimited data here for emergency internet backup. I have used it with the STB's basically doing what a 3G dongle would do but I configure as a WiFi hotspot and use the STB wifi to bridge the connection. It is usable for light, slow stuff: SD youtube, Opera browser and the lower bandwidth IPTV channels. It certainly doesn't have the bandwidth or consistency to support HD VOD or live. I suppose from that standpoint it could be used for legitimate use but to me here in USA if a guy can hit a 3G tower with a decent signal he can probably also get DSL or cable internet where he lives.

I don't know what if any legitimate internet features the Traxis 3606 has but if it is like our models you could run the weather forecaster, online firmware updates, RSS and maybe Google Maps from 3G without issue. Those features really aren't speed dependent.

GPRS is actually 1G technology so it certainly can't be used for any type of reliable video streaming since the speed is essentially the same as dial up internet. It is the mobile data standard that was in use before EDGE came along which is 2G technology.

To my knowledge, no carrier in NA uses GPRS anymore as 3G or 4G are the current standards. However, it is still being used in third world countries, especially in Africa.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk now Free

Last edited:
I emailed Tim to ask about this receiver, and specifically if it had any of the features I would consider important. His reply left me with the impression that although this may be a quality receiver for certain applications, it is not really aimed at FTA hobbyists. It will not receive or play 4:2:2 signals, it will not stream programs to other computers over a local network, it cannot save recordings to a connected network share, and there is no web interface that can be used to schedule recordings from another computer on the network. On the question of whether it has a sensitive tuner, he replied that "Traxis has always put quality over cost. Sensitivity is effected by the tuner and the supporting circuitry. I believe the DBS6100HD has achieved good performance in this area."

So I am not saying this isn't a decent receiver, it's just not even close to what I'm looking for. But then, that could probably be said of about 99% of the available FTA receivers.

Sorry I thought the GPRS was some kind of GPS system which would grab the time from GPS satellites or something like that.

So again reading over the specs most of the features listed will probably not be used here in the United States. This to me is unusual for a Traxis box which have always been groomed for the North American Market. I can only guess that this receiver is made by another company and Traxis just slapped its name on it.

To me there is no reason to advertise all those features which will never be used here in the US when your advertising the box for the US Market.

It will not receive or play 4:2:2 signals, it will not stream programs to other computers over a local network, it cannot save recordings to a connected network share, and there is no web interface that can be used to schedule recordings from another computer on the network.

Why would you go to a car dealership and complain that the new Ford Fusion can not do 0-60 in 2 seconds, why does it not have a 5th Wheel hook up and why is it not rated to pull a 40 Ton Trailer?

Why would you go to a car dealership and complain that the new Ford Fusion can not do 0-60 in 2 seconds, why does it not have a 5th Wheel hook up and why is it not rated to pull a 40 Ton Trailer?

If those features were important to me, and maybe to others I know, you're damn right I would, perhaps in the hope that they would have some other vehicle that might meet my needs (of course this is all hypothetical because you would never catch me shopping at a Ford dealership). And, hypothetically, if I were in a car-related forum and I knew those features were important to a certain percentage of other buyers, and that model had just been released and therefore people didn't really know all there is to know about it yet, I would point out that it doesn't have the features that some folks are looking for.

Returning to the real world, these are features that several people have expressed a desire for, and when a new receiver appears that is basically the same old same old, I don't feel at all bad about pointing that out. I could buy a $55 X2 on Amazon and probably get almost everything this receiver offers, sure maybe it would not be built to anywhere near the same quality, but people buy on features AND quality. I don't know if this receiver has the quality, but in my opinion it's lacking in the features that should be part of modern FTA satellite receivers. I keep hoping that new FTA receiver models will have advanced technology, but so far it seems a lot of receiver design is stuck in the mid 2000's, only with faster processors and maybe more memory and if you are lucky, the ability to play YouTube videos. I have a Home Theater PC and a computer if I want to watch YouTube; I don't need a satellite receiver to do that!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts