tree advice needed

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

towelie

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 19, 2004
I've got a minor tree problem, that when windy, blocks some satellite B transponders. I can see the strength go up & down and the screen pixelizes. Right now it is only affecting HBOHD & HDNET, so I'm not too concerned. But I'm worried that future HD channels, specifically NFL ST will be in that same range.

I had someone look at it yesterday, and he confirmed it was the tree. He wasn't able to move the dish anywhere else on the roof, because its 3 stories (plus an attic). Right now the dish is on the roof out the attic window. I think there are other places on the roof where it could go, but he didn't want to shimmy out the window to move it.

3 questions:

1. Is there any way to know which channels are broadcast through certain transponders, so I'll know what channels will be affected.

2. Anyone know a installer around Boston that will climb out a window to move a dish?

3. How much does it cost to get a tree trimmed? (I'm hoping I can put that off until the spring, because hopefully once the leaves fall it will clear up the signal)

thanks for any advice

towelie said:
3 questions:

1. Is there any way to know which channels are broadcast through certain transponders, so I'll know what channels will be affected.

2. Anyone know a installer around Boston that will climb out a window to move a dish?

3. How much does it cost to get a tree trimmed? (I'm hoping I can put that off until the spring, because hopefully once the leaves fall it will clear up the signal)

thanks for any advice
1a) checkout http://www.lyngsat.com

2a) http://dexonline.com/servlet/Action...ityText=Boston&state=MA&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

3a) http://dexonline.com/servlet/Action...ityText=Boston&state=MA&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

Piece of cake!

Tree

It depends on the size of the tree,with out hacking a hole in the tree you may be able to thin it out,but in strong winds and the limbs move around more the problem occur again.If the tree is small enough you may be able to do a crown reduction(not topping-there is a difference) and that will solve the problem.Make sure who ever does the work is insured (more than 50% of small companies aren't)last thing you need is someone getting hurt and then a lawsuit.
The other way is to cut it down and replace the tree with a slower growing tree that doesn't get that tall
Tree compaines around Washington DC charge around 50.00p/h for ground men and 75.00-100.00p/h for climbers-if you have three man crew, 2 ground 1 climber and they can do it in 2-3 hours=350.00-450.00

thanks guys. That lyngsat was exactly what I was looking for. It seems 119 is mostly locals, spanish, & those 2 HD channels. Guess I'll just hope that any new HD channels are on 110.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)