Tree growing

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Fastom

Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Maine usa
I have dish 500 that's mounted on a live tree, it's worked fine for 3 years, is at a summer house, when I tried to get a signal this spring it show about a 50-69 but will not lock on. Assuming thatbthe tree has grown does it make a difference thatbthe dish is 3 or 4 inches higher but still the same elevation and heading?

Sure, a 3-4" change in height will affect alignment. Trees also shrink and swell, so it's likely a little twisted one way or the other. Trunks grow out. Also, falling branches are a problem. You should put it on a metal pole.

3-4" is a big difference. 4 inches is a third of a foot. 3 inches is a quarter. Perhaps boba was being sarcastic?

I have dish 500 that's mounted on a live tree, it's worked fine for 3 years, is at a summer house, when I tried to get a signal this spring it show about a 50-69 but will not lock on. Assuming thatbthe tree has grown does it make a difference thatbthe dish is 3 or 4 inches higher but still the same elevation and heading?

Get the dish off the tree!
Now!

Just my 2 cents: Trees generally don't grow "up", they just get bigger around and change in shape generally. In other words, the dish probably didn't get any higher, but for sure as the tree grew, it changed the aim.

I agree with the other posters, put it on a pole or attach it to your house. Fixing it now by re-aiming is only going to be followed by another fix before long.

3-4" is HUGE. Have you ever aligned a dish?

I believe he was implying that if the growth were straight up at a distance of 22K miles this would be a non issue. The problem arises in that trees do not grow straight up. The lean, they twist and branches grow out blocking LOS. While 3 to 4 inches of elevation would change the focal point were the signal coming from the sat a pinpoint beam that's not the case here. As other posters have stated here, get the dish on a pole and get it clear of all current and future limb growth.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)