Trees - Can I use my neighbor's dish?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
To answer your question, yes you can use your neighbors dish with their permission.

And NO, you can not use a utility pole or the cable drops to bridge the gap over the alley. You can attach it house to house as long as it's high enough (minimum 14 feet at the sag), but it's still a bad idea all around. Just put the dish in your front yard.

SHEESE, this thread sure got hot opinions since I first posted.

The company's that own the poles are not that hostile. Officially you will be told either no to an attachment, or offered a huge red tape highway.

In the real world most of the techs will pass by stuff like this. How many times have you seen garage sale signs etc. on poles, totally not allowed. I know of a man who put a FTA dish out near the road due to LOS. Next to the dish was a overhead cable drop to his house from the previous owners had subbed. He connected this cable to his dish and receiver, worked fine. One day he saw a cable tech out at the road, took a picture of the connection. Uh Ohh, but never heard nothing, ain't like he is stealing their services, just using a wire paid for by the previous owners install charges.

How about we stop advocating illegal actions based on the fact that you (who is in all actuality a nobody, no offense but it's true) would personally look the other way. The OP's question has been answered - NO, he can not attach anything to the pole, nor can he use the cable drop.

How about the issue with using two different electric boxes powering one lnb? Doesn't this cause an issue sometimes?

Just connecting the boxes doesn't seem to be a problem. The LNB ports are independent....one can fail and the rest work OK. Grounding to different points might be an issue but I never heard of a problem, especially if one were to stick a ground rod in at the dish.

Joe

I was told that it is company policy to not install or use a dish located on property that is not owned or rented by the customer. I had a neighbor who would let a dish be mounted on their balcony because I have no place with a clear line of sight but the Directv installer would not do it. They've had problems such as the person who agreed to it moving out and new tenants cutting the line or removing the dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts