@&*^ TREES!

joprandi

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 15, 2003
I had no more place to move the Dish, the trees just got to big :mad:. I have been a dish customer for over 6 year and was really enjoying the HD line up. But now I had to switch to Time Warner and thier HD line in my area is terrible. I have less than 1/2 the HD I had before. I tried to find out way there line up is so much different from city to city, but no one would give me an answer.

Just venting guys. Miss my HD!

Have you checked to see if DirecTV might help since for their HD lineup you need a view to 99/101/103, a much narrower arc then what Dish needs.

I had no more place to move the Dish, the trees just got to big :mad:. I have been a dish customer for over 6 year and was really enjoying the HD line up. But now I had to switch to Time Warner and thier HD line in my area is terrible. I have less than 1/2 the HD I had before. I tried to find out way there line up is so much different from city to city, but no one would give me an answer.

You didn't say where you are located. You lack LOS to both the eastern and western arcs? There's chainsaws which work fairly well. You could always put up a 40 foot tower and mount the dish to that. That should get you above the trees unless they are right next to the house.

That is a good Rush song.:D

But really tell us how you feel about them trees :D

Assuming that you own the trees:

chainsaws_line_up_canada_show.jpg

Easy fix!

Just mount the dish on the TOP of the tree! As long as the wind isn't blowing hard, your good to go! :D

I had to chop down trees with a chainsaw, just for Dish. I also had to use separate dishes for each sat, as I don't have line of sight for all sats, from one point on my severely wooded 3 acres plus lot. 8 trees, 75ft tall. We also have average winds of 20+ miles per hour, that blow them around quite a bit, interfering with the signal. 2 of them were nice Black Oaks, 4 nice Maples, a couple red pines.

It was either that, or stay with Charter Cable, and they SUCK!

I live in Newark Ohio. I really don't think that I can get a look at the DirectTV sat's either. I had 2 dishes for the Dish sat's. one for 110/119 and the other for 129 and trees grew in the way of both.

I was ok with it at first, because I kept seeing Time Warners HD line up that was advertised for Columbus, which is about 30 miles away. I would have only lost a couple of channels. But Times Warner in Newark has HALF the line up and I am really bummed. Why would there be so much difference? Infrastructure? And there DVR really SUCKS!

I live in Newark Ohio. I really don't think that I can get a look at the DirectTV sat's either. I had 2 dishes for the Dish sat's. one for 110/119 and the other for 129 and trees grew in the way of both.

I was ok with it at first, because I kept seeing Time Warners HD line up that was advertised for Columbus, which is about 30 miles away. I would have only lost a couple of channels. But Times Warner in Newark has HALF the line up and I am really bummed. Why would there be so much difference? Infrastructure? And there DVR really SUCKS!

I had the same situation in Northwest PA. I was set up with a 110/119/61.5 setup, and my neighbor's trees grew very large and completely blocked my 119 signal. There was no place else on our property to put the dish.

The Dish service guy that came out to look why our signal was so weak explained this and suggested I switch to the Eastern Arc setup, and Dish agreed to do it for free (with a new 2-year commitment). It was the service guy that made the call and set it all up, explaining why I needed this EA setup. Without it, I would have had to drop Dish also. I don't know if they would just let you call and make that "orbital" switch. Probably not.

The Eastern Arc elevation angles are WAY higher than the Western Arc, so even though there are fairly large trees across the street for me, the installer said those trees would need to grow another 20-30 ft before they would be impeding the signal.

They swung my 61.5 dish over to 110, (because that's where the Youngstown, OH locals are), so I lost nothing, not to mention they threw in a 722K upgrade at half price for my trouble.

That's how I got around the tree issue.

I had the same situation in Northwest PA. I was set up with a 110/119/61.5 setup, and my neighbor's trees grew very large and completely blocked my 119 signal. There was no place else on our property to put the dish.

The Dish service guy that came out to look why our signal was so weak explained this and suggested I switch to the Eastern Arc setup, and Dish agreed to do it for free (with a new 2-year commitment). It was the service guy that made the call and set it all up, explaining why I needed this EA setup. Without it, I would have had to drop Dish also. I don't know if they would just let you call and make that "orbital" switch. Probably not.

The Eastern Arc elevation angles are WAY higher than the Western Arc, so even though there are fairly large trees across the street for me, the installer said those trees would need to grow another 20-30 ft before they would be impeding the signal.

They swung my 61.5 dish over to 110, (because that's where the Youngstown, OH locals are), so I lost nothing, not to mention they threw in a 722K upgrade at half price for my trouble.

That's how I got around the tree issue.

Dish does allow this, usually it will involve a service call to check LOS. If OP has all MPEG 4 equipment, he/she'll be set. If not, it may take some effort in order to get the EA installed. A lot of areas that aren't trained in EA will hesitate to do a 1k.4 install though beware of this. I live in an area that doesn't get EA locals but I installed all of my own equipment and scan in my locals over the air and it works perfect. While doing an arc-flip is not something dish would like to do (if you can cut down the damn trees :) ) they will do it rather than lose a customer who doesn't want to be lost.

Dish offered to install the antennae on a poll since association rules did not allow road visible mounts. The guys that came out for Dish Mover brought a couple of poles with them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)