TRENDnet Router

Mr_Flintstone

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 21, 2014
KY
A few days ago I found myself in need of a WiFi router. I looked at the local stores (Wal Mart, Staples, Radio Shack), and the only thing I could find under $50 was a Belkin for $39. Not being a fan of Belkin, I searched the internet for a good, reliable, cheap router. What I found was a TRENDnet TEW-711BR (N-150) for $13.95 with free shipping from walmart.com. They also had a TEW-731BR (N-300) for $16.53. As I only had 3-meg cable internet, I went with the 711BR.

The setup was extremely easy. As a matter of fact, it comes from the factory with WPA2 encryption enabled with a random passphrase printed on a peel-off sticker so you can use it straight out of the box if you choose. I chose to customize mine so it would have the same passphrase and admin password as my previous Linksys.

So far it has been rock-solid, and the range covers my whole house. I have since upped my internet speed to 6-meg, and I have run 3 Roku's and a couple of iPads simultaneously with no dropouts or lags. I have also used it to stream HD video wirelessly from my PC/DLNA server without incident.

The only negative that have noticed is that it only runs on 2.4 ghz, but that isn't a problem for me because the signal from my nearest neighbor doesn't even make it to my house. Overall I think it is a wonderful value for the price.

Reactions: bhawley

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)