Trial Scheduled in TiVo's Legal Spat With EchoStar

neoabacus

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 19, 2008
dayton,oh
from www.multichannel.com/article/CA6616540.html

sounds like if they rule against Dish they may not be able to stay afloat!!

Federal Judge Schedules Bench Trial For Feb. 17-18 In Patent Litigation

By Todd Spangler -- Multichannel News, 11/20/2008 6:56:00 PM

A federal judge in Texas has scheduled additional hearings for next February to determine whether EchoStar's set-top boxes continue to infringe a key digital video recorder patent owned by TiVo.

On Thursday, Judge David Folsom of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Texas issued an order that sets a bench trial for Feb. 17 and 18, 2009, regarding TiVo's request to find EchoStar in contempt for not disabling its receivers' DVR functionality as previously ordered under the court's permanent injunction.

Folsom presided over a Sept. 4 hearing in the matter but did not issue a decision at the time, causing TiVo shares to plummet 16.5%.

Last month, the U.S. Supreme Court declined to review a lower court’s ruling that EchoStar had infringed the DVR maker’s so-called Time Warp patent. Subsequently, EchoStar paid TiVo $104.6 million on Oct. 8.

Dish Network and EchoStar said in a statement, "We are pleased that the district court did not find us in contempt on the face of the injunction. We look forward to the February bench trial on our software design-around. Our subscribers can continue using their award-winning DVRs from Dish Network."

In its own statement, TiVo said: "Contrary to EchoStar's statement today, the court did not rule on TiVo's pending motion for contempt of the injunction. The court will do so after the hearing as well as rule on the amount of damages owed to TiVo beyond the nearly $105 million already paid by EchoStar. This is a positive step, particularly the accelerated discovery ordered by the court, towards the ultimate resolution of all issues in the litigation and we remain confident that we will prevail in showing that EchoStar's workaround does not avoid infringement."

The patent at issue in the case, U.S. Patent No. 6,233,389, covers a system that "allows the user to store selected television broadcast programs while the user is simultaneously watching or reviewing another program."

In the Feb. 17-18 hearings, each side will have five hours to present their case. According to the judge's order, TiVo’s expert disclosures are due Dec. 22, and EchoStar's are due Jan. 5, 2009. The parties' proposed findings of fact and conclusions of law are due Feb. 10. The docket number of the case is 2:04-CV-01.

TiVo's contempt motion stems from the April 2006 verdict by a federal jury in Texas that found some of Dish Network’s DVRs infringed on the Time Warp patent.

Dish Network has maintained it developed a workaround for the TiVo patent by creating new software and downloading it to all its DVRs. Separately, Dish Network filed suit May 30 in the U.S. District Court for Delaware asking a judge to rule that its new DVR software does not infringe TiVo’s patent.
TiVo has claimed that Dish Network should pay $220 million in royalties and lost profits for the 18 months that the verdict was stayed to allow Dish to appeal. According to some analyst scenarios, if Dish Network were found in contempt of court and were ordered to immediately disable its DVRs, it would cost the satellite operator more than $1 billion.

Dish Network and EchoStar said in a statement, "We are pleased that the district court did not find us in contempt on the face of the injunction. We look forward to the February bench trial on our software design-around. Our subscribers can continue using their award-winning DVRs from Dish Network."
Dish Network said it so it must be true...:rolleyes:

In its own statement, TiVo said: "Contrary to EchoStar's statement today, the court did not rule on TiVo's pending motion for contempt of the injunction. The court will do so after the hearing as well as rule on the amount of damages owed to TiVo beyond the nearly $105 million already paid by EchoStar. This is a positive step, particularly the accelerated discovery ordered by the court, towards the ultimate resolution of all issues in the litigation and we remain confident that we will prevail in showing that EchoStar's workaround does not avoid infringement."
TiVo said it so it must be true...:rolleyes:

To be honest, I think the TiVo patents are BS and serve only to limit choice in the Consumer Electronics industry. My FiOS HD DVR is pale in comparison to the E* 622/722, and the bleep-bloopin' TiVo HD is junkola. Sony, makers of a wonderful single-tuner HD DVR with free TV Guide On Screen, got out of the cable HD DVR business before they could market a dual-tuner model largely due to the TiVo scumbags. However, given E*'s track record in the courts...I would not be surprised if TiVo wins the contempt and continued infringement motions.

"sounds like if they rule against Dish they may not be able to stay afloat!!"

Rather an excessive statement, even if the worst possible case happens.

I am not up to date on this lawsuit but from that article, is it the issue of being able to record one show and watch another? If so, what about all the other 2 tuner DVRs out there?

actually

"sounds like if they rule against Dish they may not be able to stay afloat!!"

Rather an excessive statement, even if the worst possible case happens.

given that the article says it would cost dish 1 billion dollars and they would have to shut down all the DVR's I think they would not be in a very good position to be viable in the marketplace.

how many of you would jump ship to direct if you lost your DVR?

i know i would leave....

But considering this legal action is about the eight models of DVR's released before the ViP series, including your 622, you wouldn't have a problem for a while.

given that the article says it would cost dish 1 billion dollars and they would have to shut down all the DVR's I think they would not be in a very good position to be viable in the marketplace.

i know i would leave....

Nope.

i know i would leave....

As has been repeatedly posted, that will never happen. Not even Tivo wants that to happen. If it came to that, Dish would buy Tivo at an inflated price, or pay licensing fees. Tivo does not want to kill the golden goose. This is business, not a personal vendetta to destroy someone.

As has been repeatedly posted, that will never happen. Not even Tivo wants that to happen. If it came to that, Dish would buy Tivo at an inflated price, or pay licensing fees. Tivo does not want to kill the golden goose. This is business, not a personal vendetta to destroy someone.

Exactly. It's all about the money. Tivo DESPERATELY needs Dish's $$$ either in licensing or some form of partnership or Tivo will sink. There will be a deal very soon (perhaps by February?). The question is who will have the leverage at the bargaining table.

It needs to be a personal vendetta at this point. Charlie's coming off like a bit of a weak b*tch... He can do better. He needs to spend less time screwing customers and more time screwing Tivo.

It needs to be a personal vendetta at this point. Charlie's coming off like a bit of a weak b*tch... He can do better. He needs to spend less time screwing customers and more time screwing Tivo.

This issue is just business on both sides. Tivo would like to have another $300M to $400M out of Dish. That won't bankrupt Dish. At worst, Dish will up the ante for customers a $1 or $2 per month to cover the charges. If this happens, Dish will lose a few customers. As soon as Ciel-2 gets another 50 to 75 HD local areas on line for Dish, they will come back to Dish.

Dish has provided my TV service for over 4 years. During that time, I upgraded from the HD 811 to the ViP 622, then to the Vip 722. Each installer that visited to upgrade my service was efficient and helpful. So far as I know, neither Dish nor the installers lied, misrepresented, or stole anything from me in this process.

During that period of 4 years, I have had the following problems relating to the Dish service and equipment: (1) My remote control died on me. I called Dish and a new one was sent free of charge. (2) One of the installers was an hour or hour and a half late for one of the service calls; his office called and said he was delayed on another call but would be there in due course, and he was. (3) Dish delayed in crediting me with a $10 per month rebate. I emailed the CEO at Dish, and the rebate began the next month. (4) My EHD has the "866" error. I have not yet called Dish to see if they can correct it. I will be severely aggravated if they cannot. I plan to call tomorrow (actually, later today) to see if Dish can work it out.

But that's just my experience. Not perfect, but not bad. Maybe others' has varied.

Fitzie

Many times a personal vendetta to destroy someone IS business!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts