Tribune/Dish Dispute?

Exactly what filing would that be?
511efcf366c39511f02a43282ccecdb1.jpg
fd6ce17b8dcc576328c53b4d2ed5512d.jpg

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

Well, Troch, the first one was a clear violation of the recent rules set up for the NBCU/Comcast merger. NBCU forced Dish's hand when they broke them. The second I was unaware of.

I liked WGN before it became WGN America. I am the rare Pittsburgh Pirates fan in NW Ohio, and I got to see them on WGN when they played the Cubs. TBS dumped the Braves years ago, so I lost another opportunity to see the Buccos there. I am left with Fox Sports when they play the Reds or the Indians. They do make a Fox game or MLB Network game once in a while.

I also enjoyed the Chicago newscasts on the pre-America WGN. Since I don't watch a lot of reruns (unless they are from the '70s or early '80s), WGN won't be missed. My wife calls it the "Walker, Texas Ranger channel."

I completely agree about WGN America. Tribune made it just another dumping ground for reruns. I was expecting it to be a competitor to TBS and TNT, with some original programming. Instead it has been stripped of its originality. Cubs and White Sox were scrubbed. The wrestling fans had a WWE show on there for a while, and that's gone. News casts are gone. Some Chicago centered programing that was ocasionally fun to watch are gone.

I was a cable subscriber for such a long time, and was annoyed that my system had TBS with its Braves (we aren't Braves people here in Boston. In fact, we weren't Braves people when they were the Boston Braves - except for 1914, THAT'S BOSTON'S WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP, ATLANTA!). I always wanted to see the Cubs. I get Dish 8 years ago, and now I can see the Cubs. Then Tribune got greater reach, and in turn to maximize their profit, they grabbed a bunch of cheap reruns and infomercials to line up the channel. FOR SHAME!

Well, Troch, the first one was a clear violation of the recent rules set up for the NBCU/Comcast merger. NBCU forced Dish's hand when they broke them. The second I was unaware of.
You asked,
And as of now, I would think it's safe to say, we don't even know the details yet of anything, and chances are we never will.
But rest assure Dish will have the FCC on standby.

Which is better than a dropped channel, but it would be nice if these things would just get settled.

I doubt all these extra disputes and filings with the FCC actually save money.

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

You are certainly free to doubt as much as you want, but you and I will never actually know. I prefer to think a harder line in these negotiations is in order.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But let me guess , You believe Dish's version?

Samsung Galaxy S6 Active

I really don't believe one side over the other, why do you ask?
I know these disputes happen, negotiations happen, and there is usually some resolution that benefits both parties.
What I was pointing out is that from a media standpoint, both sides will try to make it seem like the other side is at fault.

Yep got this on my guide today. Wonder why WNOL isn't highlighted too since they're Tribune owned too.

Attachments

• 1465519251638.jpg
    1465519251638.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 262
I completely agree about WGN America. Tribune made it just another dumping ground for reruns. I was expecting it to be a competitor to TBS and TNT, with some original programming. Instead it has been stripped of its originality. Cubs and White Sox were scrubbed. The wrestling fans had a WWE show on there for a while, and that's gone. News casts are gone. Some Chicago centered programing that was ocasionally fun to watch are gone.

I was a cable subscriber for such a long time, and was annoyed that my system had TBS with its Braves (we aren't Braves people here in Boston. In fact, we weren't Braves people when they were the Boston Braves - except for 1914, THAT'S BOSTON'S WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONSHIP, ATLANTA!). I always wanted to see the Cubs. I get Dish 8 years ago, and now I can see the Cubs. Then Tribune got greater reach, and in turn to maximize their profit, they grabbed a bunch of cheap reruns and infomercials to line up the channel. FOR SHAME!

So adding original programming doesn't make it a competitor to TBS/TNT? And it's been stripped of its originality?

Also WGN America was always going to shed the Chicago programming eventually. In fact I'm surprised it lasted as long as it did.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I mostly agree WGN America became a shell of themselves. Some Chicago programming like a few games and the news was exactly what made them a wanted channel and I am not from or near Chicago. But they do seem to be trying to turn around, Salem and The Outsiders are among the four or so they have now and I watch them both.

WGN is useless since they became a national channel and lost the good syndicated programming, sports, and the WGN news.
And what is ironic about this, is that WGN-9 Chicago itself is dumping it's CW affiliation this fall & going back to it's roots as an independent local station! (CW is moving to WPWR-50, which is now an MNT affiliate) I'm glad I'm able to get WGN-Chicago w/the other Chicago locals. :)

http://www.robertfeder.com/2016/05/23/chicagos-very-own-wgn-declares-independence-from-cw-network/

http://www.tdogmedia.com/2016/05/the-future-for-wgn-tv-the-cw-and-my-network-tv.html
(interesting story here about a bleaker future for the MTN Network nationwide - if this happened, then we might see superstations WWOR & WSBK go back to total independent local stations...NO biggie at all if MTN completely died anyway!)

Last edited:
Reactions: pattykay
Yep got this on my guide today. Wonder why WNOL isn't highlighted too since they're Tribune owned too.

Was wondering the same thing...I guess Dish thinks no one cares about The CW or maybe it is just an oversight. I think people would notice if something national was playing on these channels. In my opinion, the news from WGNO has gone downhill with its News with a Twist. The news at 11 A.M. on weekdays and The NOLA Marketplace show is not too bad I guess. However, I would say that the news is far away from the AP awarding newscasts it once had. I miss some of the anchors like Jessica Holly that used to be on there; Meg Gatto, Liz Reyes, and Bruce Katz are all on WVUE, channel 8. They were all good; I think Ed Daniels is about one of the best anchors still there. Sometimes I will watch their news if the other stations has sports on, and sometimes I will watch the world news from ABC. However, I would say that I barely watch these two channels as I used to in the past. I will occasionally watch a Simpsons repeat on WNOL. I miss the old days of No-It-Alls ().

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts