Tribune stations gone?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
There was a story about this on WPIX NYC's newscast just a few minutes ago. DirecTV is threatening to pull all Tribune owned stations, including KTLA, WPIX, WGN America, WGN Chicago feed, etc. from their systems. People have inquired about a Superstations package on DirecTV for years. Good thing they don't carry such a package, everyone subscribing to it would only get WWOR and WSBK after this Saturday. I know at least one of the distant net CW stations (WDCA) is owned by Tribune, I wonder if carriage will be affected for those who have a waiver to receive the station outside of Washington, DC.

The satcos are getting more alike. I guess they have to, with so many outstretched hands coming their way.

Just read this on the Chicago Tribune site...

DirecTV subscribers could lose Tribune programming - chicagotribune.com

"The contract is set to expire March 31 and Tribune Co. is seeking compensation from the satellite TV provider to carry its programming, something it does not receive"

It would appear from the article that DirecTV does not currently pay anything to carry the Tribune stations (something I find hard to believe). If that is indeed the case, then the Tribune stations would seem to be entitled to similar compensation paid to other stations for carriage.

Last edited:
Damn, right before baseball season starts.

What is suprising is WGN America just started in HD on Directv a year or two ago, it hasn't been long. You would think that that required an agreement, suprising that it wasn't extended then.

Damn, right before baseball season starts.

What is suprising is WGN America just started in HD on Directv a year or two ago, it hasn't been long. You would think that that required an agreement, suprising that it wasn't extended then.

+1

So, is this a contract issue ?
I have yet to see anything posted stating so.

IF it is a contract issue, I expect ti to go the same as the rest ....

If it's something else, it would be nice to have info about it.

Don't forget, Tribune is under network pressure to generate Retran$ money - especially from FOX. 25 cents a head now, more next year, more next year, and so on. Not sure how much The CW or MyNetwork might be demanding. ABC's probably wanting a 50-50 split.

Whatever they want or get, we all know who'll end up paying in the end. Look in the nearest mirror.

And yes, Jimbo, this is a contract issue.

DirecTV counters that they "have always compensated Tribune fairly and have no problem continuing to do so," in a statement provided to TheWrap. The statement adds that the two companies continue to negotiate, and that DirecTV is confident that the situation will be resolved amicably.

"We anticipate that Tribune will honor its 165-year history of serving the public interest and allow the stations to remain on as we continue to negotiate," the statement notes.

http://www.thewrap.com/tv/article/tribune-broadcasting-threatens-pull-programming-directv-36550

DirecTV counters that they "have always compensated Tribune fairly and have no problem continuing to do so," in a statement provided to TheWrap. The statement adds that the two companies continue to negotiate, and that DirecTV is confident that the situation will be resolved amicably.

"We anticipate that Tribune will honor its 165-year history of serving the public interest and allow the stations to remain on as we continue to negotiate," the statement notes.

Tribune Broadcasting Threatens to Pull Programming From DirecTV | TheWrap TV

ty jimbo interesting :)

Maybe after they make up and agree DireCTV will reach an agreement to come out with a Super Station Package like Dish. Better yet it will be in HD.

I can only dream. . .

Maybe after they make up and agree DireCTV will reach an agreement to come out with a Super Station Package like Dish. Better yet it will be in HD.

I can only dream. . .

that dream could come true :D :)

Tribune Co., owner of 16 television stations across the country including KTLA-TV Los Angeles, is threatening to pull its channels from satellite broadcaster DirecTV.

Now which is it .... one article claims panic to the customers that they are not going to be able to see thier stations ....
Making it sound like D* is threatening to pull them ...

Then this article is stating that it is Tribune that is actually pulling them ... which makes more sense to me.

Tribune threatens to pull stations from DirecTV - latimes.com

Yes, I'm tired of those retransmission consent disputes, and it's getting very common. I think the retransmissio consent clause is a curse by ex-Congressman John Danforth (R-MO), and if they didn't have this retransmission consent clause in the 1992 Cable Protection Act bill, this mess wouldn't happen today. IMHO.

Jimbo said:
Tribune Co., owner of 16 television stations across the country including KTLA-TV Los Angeles, is threatening to pull its channels from satellite broadcaster DirecTV.

Now which is it .... one article claims panic to the customers that they are not going to be able to see thier stations ....
Making it sound like D* is threatening to pull them ...

Then this article is stating that it is Tribune that is actually pulling them ... which makes more sense to me.

Tribune threatens to pull stations from DirecTV - latimes.com

The Chicago Tribune (HQ for the Tribune Co) article I referenced earlier made it pretty clear that it was the Tribune pulling the plug and that the two sides were far apart. They also state that they receive no compensation from DirecTV. DirecTV seems to be downplaying the situation and claim Tribune does receive fair compensation.

Someone will eventually blink but I wouldn't be surprised to see at least some of the Tribune stations go dark on DirecTV.

It is really kind of sad to see it come down this as WGN was one of the first, if not the first superstation and a staple of nearly every CATV and DBS system almost from the beginning (and by many accounts, the reason the Cubs can field horrible teams but continue to remain one of the most popular teams in the Majors).

It is really kind of sad to see it come down this as WGN was one of the first, if not the first superstation and a staple of nearly every CATV and DBS system almost from the beginning (and by many accounts, the reason the Cubs can field horrible teams but continue to remain one of the most popular teams in the Majors).

WTBS was the 1st Superstation by like 2 years. Also WGN has far few Cubs games now. Use to be almost all were on WGN now its like 60 or so

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)