Trick Play Issue With Hopper

oldengineer

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
May 14, 2011
Lower Macungie Township, PA
So yesterday I used my H2K in trick play mode for a few hours. I put the O's-Tigers game on, hit the pause button, and changed tuners using the swap key. I spent the next few hours watching NFL games in real time on another tuner. I would occasionally swap back to the paused BB game, watch for a few minutes, skipping thru between innings breaks, then pausing and swapping back to FB. By early evening I had caught up to the BB game so I watched the bottom of the 9th in real time.

During PTAT time later on I noticed that response to DVR commands was getting slow and in addition the Guide would only display until 1130 AM this morning, yet the timers were all still set for the week and searching would find shows due for playing during the week. Strange behavior but an RBR after PTAT was done cleared everything up.

Think computer, you multitask a bunch , close programs, open new programs etc. Some memory is regained upon closing things, some memory is not. Eventually you computer slows down.
Dan

But if I had set the BB game to record and then switched back to the recording things would work OK. I haven't had the problem you describe with a computer for years but it's something that can and should be and has been corrected in software.

All hardwired, RG6 except for the HIC-Router ethernet cable. Thinking back I remember trying this a few years ago except that I paused both tuners while switching and it completely froze the Hopper after about 15 minutes. I don't think Dish advertises this as a feature like D* does with their boxes so it's no big deal, but it's a convenient way to watch. The trouble with recording the paused show, on my Hopper anyway, is that I have to back up 10 or 20 seconds every time I resume watching the recording.

Wait... The Hopper is hard wired to the router? And there is a hic as well? I would make certain only one broadband connection is present in the system.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!
Only the HIC is connected to the router. It's a pretty standard installation except that the HIC and the other Hopper in the system share a cable but they're isolated by a tap. The system has been solid for 2 1/2 years with no MOCA or internet connectivity issues. I think Dirtydan's explanation of what's happening is correct - a software issue is allowing a stack or linked list or interrupt queue to become corrupted by all of the swapping and pausing. Changing channels works OK but things like scrolling thru the DVR or doing searches or starting and scrolling thru the guide become very sluggish and a lot of key pushes get missed. Missing key pushes is a good indication that something bad is happening inside the box.

Go to network details in the broadband screen and check the red drop down wireless option. Any green OKs?

The wireless setup button is greyed out. The Network Connection is OK
Hopper -> Router -> Internet is green.

Connection type is HIC and the assigned IP address is within the normal 192.168 range.

I'm beating a dead horse, but are the eithernets grayed out as well?

The only selection not grayed is MoCA. Both ethernets and wireless are gray. The Whole Home screen shows the other Hopper, both Joeys and the HIC as detected with Good MoCA signal quality. Both Joeys are linked to this box but none were in use during this episode.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)