Tricks to get local affiliate to grant a waiver.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

fkostyn

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 9, 2004
Are there any tricks / things out there to get your local affiliate to grant a waiver? (such as writing letter to station / fcc / etc????) I am a little more than disappointed that my local ABC affilliate did not play Private Ryan last night (was looking forward to it in HD)

I do not want to "move" (if I wanted to do that - I could "move" to my grandparents) The local affilliate is a Scripps Howard station.

Directv does not have ABC-HD yet. You wouldn't have been able to see it that way in HD either.

there aren't any tricks to get a waiver granted. If you call up the affiliate and talk to them you can try to reason with them, but even if you get them(your local ABC) to grant your waiver you still won't get ABC-HD as Directv doesn't carry ABC-HD.

Please keep the political talk out of the thread. All it will do is cause a flame war to start.

Like I've said before, Directv does not have ABC-HD. You wanting to get the distant network will not allow you to watch it in HD.

I've heard "rumors" that if you tell DirecTV that a certain receiver is for use in a Motorhome _only_, that they will give you the national channels, but not the local channels.

(Note: I've never tried this, so YMMV, but it may (or may not) be worth the effort)

smitty825 said:
I've heard "rumors" that if you tell DirecTV that a certain receiver is for use in a Motorhome _only_, that they will give you the national channels, but not the local channels.

(Note: I've never tried this, so YMMV, but it may (or may not) be worth the effort)

i'm pretty sure that you have to show proof that you have a motor home, ex. registration.

Have you tried to get them.. I had D* submit the requests for me and all were granted within a month. I have to admit I was kind of surprised, but I'm not complaining.

I have already done that - FOX is the only one I have. I had forgotten that D* didn't have ABC - but - I would still like to get ABC E/W if possible.

I have to find some humor in this post. Disney World still thinks the light bulb was invented by Reagan. Future World still queries visitors on the history of 8-track tapes and vinyl, then takes you into the Leviton room where nothing is controlled by remote. On to the Plasma TV room where HD is so special, and the tour guide becomes speechless when you ask about LCD & DLP technologies while arm gestures point you to the spectacular world of HD via a colorized Mickey cartoon. I was tempted to ask about the Plasma buzzing sound at 5000ft+, but knew our tour guide would have had a heart attack after asking my previous question. A political statement perhaps, but when Eisner goes, ABC will broadcast HD through their affiliates. 720p has been more problematic for O&O stations than ABC thought, and many are not pleased with ABC's O&O OTA HD PQ, but then you certainly don't see ABC's website advertising HD programming in general.

All of the sudden i started receiving channel 81 cbs west. i already get the hd pack so i get 80 and 82, why would this just pop up ? i am getting charged 250 for it a month but im ok with that. does this sound right ?

I was approved for the waiver for CBS distant networks. I have both CBS-HD W and E.

DirecTV told me if you have an RV and can show proof of it, they can grant access without having to get waivers approved from the networks. They're mailing me the necessary forms this week. I'll let you know what all is required.

I have CBS and NBC Waviers. However Fox and ABC were denied. When I was with Dish, I had Fox and Abc waviers but not CBS and NBC. Go Figure. Still would like to have these waviers.

If contacting the local station directly doesn't help the best thing you can do is to ask for a signal test.

Just be sure you know the costs up front, because IF you are proved to be in a good signal area, YOU have to pay for the test.

charper1 said:
Just be sure you know the costs up front, because IF you are proved to be in a good signal area, YOU have to pay for the test.
Not according the the SHVIA.
Bad signal - TV station pays
Good signal - DBS company pays (thats why they usually wont request them)

n0qcu said:
Not according the the SHVIA.
Bad signal - TV station pays
Good signal - DBS company pays (thats why they usually wont request them)

We are talking about a USER's request and YOU will have to pay it! Call your DBS provider and ask. Report your findings back to us.

This is starting to tick me off. I finally got local from D* about 3 weeks ago and they have yet to add ABC. I am unable to get a wiaver from the local station and I have already stopped paying my $50 a month cable bill. I am happy to stop paying for bith cable and D*. But after giving D* $200 for Sunday Ticket and nearly $100 a month for premire I still can't watch all the football games. How long should I wait for D* to get ABC? E* has had it for 2 years. I can't get a good OTA signal either. Besides who can go back to watching TV without TIVO?

I am curious to know how long others of you had waited.

SS

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)