tricky install, how can i entice them to do it

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ejb

Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
im havivng an installer come next weekend to upgrade me to a 5lnb dish,

I already have a disk up there, but when we got it installed we needed to sign a waiver to get the install done (trees). So i know the installer is going to turn and walk away when he immediatly sees the LOS, even though i get a great picture now.

Any installers or members out there have any suggestions/strategies for getting the installer to atleast try to put the dish up.

im concidering just offering him 50 bills just to try.

ejb said:

I already have a disk up there, but when we got it installed we needed to sign a waiver to get the install done (trees). So i know the installer is going to turn and walk away when he immediatly sees the LOS, even though i get a great picture now.

Any installers or members out there have any suggestions/strategies for getting the installer to atleast try to put the dish up.

If a Bruister and Associates or Mastec guy shows up forget it. You will probably have better luck calling a local guy. It will cost you a few hundred but unless he has plenty of jobs lined up he will get it done if possible. What type of setup do you have? I'm going to wait on the 5 lnb until the slimline comes out or they have programming that I can't get now.

what Dish do you have now? A single dish or a Phase III?

If you have a Phase III, why couldn't they put it up? If you have 101/110/119 odds are pretty good you can get 99/101/103/110/119 from the same location

Iceberg said:

If you have a Phase III, why couldn't they put it up? If you have 101/110/119 odds are pretty good you can get 99/101/103/110/119 from the same location

old school single lnb dish, although i think i have better clearance to the 110 and 119 side. considering ill probably leave D* if im limited to a single lnb dish, do you think theyd credit me abit for a local install through retention?

also, could they do the install, and then jsut let me hack down trees until i get a solid signal?

i live in massachusetts also, not sure who does the installs up here

well the 2 new satellites for LIL HD is 99 & 103, which are on each side of the 101 spot (which is where the dish is right now)

how good is your view to the west of the existing location?

the view to the west is probably better clearance then the 101 is, hard to tell since i cant get ontop of the roof easily.

i also called retension and had them put down to send the office manager, no rookie techs

ejb said:
the view to the west is probably better clearance then the 101 is, hard to tell since i cant get ontop of the roof easily.

i also called retension and had them put down to send the office manager, no rookie techs

Good luck with that also. The "Expert Tech" came out to my house and said that he could move my dish back about 24 feet and hit all five birds. He said he would personally be there for the install. Well a week passed a 18 year old kid climbed out and said no way and cruised. I hope I'm wrong but you are in for a big time run around.

Last edited:
If it was me and the line of site is there, I will be more than happy to put the job in, but all the money in the world as a tip won't do you any good if there is no line of site do to trees. If the line of site isn't there, i won't put a job in cuz i have to guarentee the custmer line of site for the term of the contract that they are signing which is typically 18 months for dish network.

Seriously, if he actually is willing to work with you, I would have no problem mounting the dish, pointing at what I could and then you can drop the trees as necessary, then or later:D But then again, I'm a nice guy:D

WTT

Sidenote: You would be signing off on it though:D

i might try to arrange a deal like that... i'll have the chainsaw running when he arrives

ejb said:

"Depending on your location"

Also consider there is a huge difference in elevation
between maine and the southern tip of Texas
What i mean by that...is clearing a tree
at the same distance and height would be more of
a challange as you travel further up north due to elevation needing to be set at a lower degree the further you go up north.

If you have the azmith 101 degree clearing trees ,then you will be fine
with the the other 4...99,103,110 and 119

Now if the azmith 101 degree is coming in through a hole in a canopy
of trees...then that will be challange for the other 4 birds considering the size of the hole.

A pro can tell you yes or no by your current dish location" from experience"
also he can tell you if possible at another location.

To save you a little headache.... pay a pro for a site survey
look up good reputable local retailers closest to you in your phone book
that have been in buisness for a long time "just ask them how long they have been in this buisness locally"
45-50 bills
should be about right

http://www.myspace.com/1_crazymexican

Last edited:
Easier said than done. I need a fairly complicated and expensive reinstall to upgrade (I live in a tree-filled Philly suburb) and no one will touch it. I sense I will end up redoing it myself — or worse, being forced to switch to FIOS (goodbye NY sports, sob). I've identified a spot with a hold that has open sky to the birds, but no one wants to deal with the hassle involved. DirecTV has sent out installers and they just shake their heads and refuse to do anything.

This is particularly ironic, as I used to have both D* and E* (and even DirecWay) on the same property and was even quoted in HNS ads back in the day, as I was a magazine gear reviewer/editor.

At this point, I'm ready to just buy my own meter and do my own install, except the propellerheads at D* won't allow it. So, basically, I'm stuck.

This fall or next spring...I'll have no choice to switch to something else, something I'd rather not have.

Mike McGann said:
Easier said than done. I need a fairly complicated and expensive reinstall to upgrade (I live in a tree-filled Philly suburb) and no one will touch it. I sense I will end up redoing it myself — or worse, being forced to switch to FIOS (goodbye NY sports, sob). I've identified a spot with a hold that has open sky to the birds, but no one wants to deal with the hassle involved. DirecTV has sent out installers and they just shake their heads and refuse to do anything.

This is particularly ironic, as I used to have both D* and E* (and even DirecWay) on the same property and was even quoted in HNS ads back in the day, as I was a magazine gear reviewer/editor.

At this point, I'm ready to just buy my own meter and do my own install, except the propellerheads at D* won't allow it. So, basically, I'm stuck.

This fall or next spring...I'll have no choice to switch to something else, something I'd rather not have.

Hello FIOS

Mike McGann said:

Why can't you just buy all the gear online and just call to do the activation? I have known a few people that did it. Just no freebie gear (but its "owned") and still have the commitments, but they did their own installs.

Iceberg said:

IceBerg I have a Phase III and the DirecTV installers wouldn't do it. How far to the left would say you would need clearance to hit the 99 and since I get the 101 and 110 wouldn't the 103 be a piece of cake hitting?

srs913 said:
If it was me and the line of site is there, I will be more than happy to put the job in, but all the money in the world as a tip won't do you any good if there is no line of site do to trees. If the line of site isn't there, i won't put a job in cuz i have to guarentee the custmer line of site for the term of the contract that they are signing which is typically 18 months for dish network.

Im in the same boat as you on the guarantee. When I first started 8 years ago I had a few jobs that where questionable on the line of site.

I did the right thing, I showed the customer the trees in question and I gave them the option of continuing with the installation with a potential problem in the future, or just cancelling the installation completely.

On every single job the customer said go ahead and do it, and on every single one of them I had customers calling me up complaining that I did an improper installation and they wanted someone out ASAP to fix it. As I remember there where 3 of them I did that way my first year.....

The first one I actually got charged back on because the customer didn't pay the bill. He restored service, but I never got repaid so I pretty much told him he needed to re-imburse me for my chargeback or I was not fixing his install. He never did, so I never bothered to go back out and fix it.

The second one I had to pay to switch over to Directv because it was a very bad line of site.

The third one I had to pay a tree service $200 to trim a branch off the customers tree.

If everyone was honest then I wouldn't have an issue listening to the customer when they said to install when there wasn't a good line of site. Too many installers have been burned over this because it always seems to be their fault when the system doesn't work, even when they told the customer there would be a potential problem and the customer said go ahead anyways.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)