Tried Cancelling hd package and wasn't allowed

gredneck

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 25, 2003
I called dish today and tried to cancel the hd package, the woman asked why and I told her that there wasn't enough HD for $9.95 a month.
she put me on hold, when she came back she told me I could not cancel
the HD pack because I had an HD receiver and it didn't make sense.
I proceeded top tell her that the receiver still worked with regular satellite
channels, but she still questioned me on why i would even think about buying a receiver like that and not have the HD pack.

I told her that I owned the receiver outright and could do what I wanted with it.
still the same "it doesn't make sense" I finally blew up at her and said do you like people telling you what to do with a item you paid $1000.00 for? (plus a few other words :D no vulgarities!) she finally said that she would give me the hd pack for 4.95 a mo. for a year.
I agreed to it, figuring she wasn't going to let me cancel the package, and my break time was running out. :no

I was under the impression that you didn't have to have the hd package to have the 921?

I can't speak for the 921 but I own my 811 outright and canceled the HD package after about a month because of the lack of content. The lady I talked to at E* argued a little with me telling me my 811 would'nt work without being subscribed to the HD package. I politely told yes it would. She talked to another person and then canceled the package (of course the $5 change fee was applied). The great thing is that I have HBO so I get HDHBO anyway. I would assume it is the same for the 921.

I'm going to try another csr tomorrow, maybe i'll make some head way.

on second thought......
at $4.95 a month, it isn't bad to have tnt hd, discovery hd and a couple movie channels.

They told me the same thing about not being able to downgrade from the HD pak but right before I decided to get 'stern' then told me they would let me have it for 4.95.

I said OK...IMO its barley worth 4.95.

Claude Greiner said:
If your leasing an HD receiver or got a FREE HD receiver in a 1 year committment then you cannot downgrade and remove the HD pack.

If you bought your 811, 6000 or 921 then you can do as you please!

Wait a minute. Your saying that even after the 1yr commit is up I cant cancel the HD pack?? I thought after my commit, I could do anything in regards to channel packages I got.

Paradox-SJ said:
More detail"

What they said to me was that if you bought the 921 at the 549.00 or less price it is a promo and apart of the prom is that you must have the HD pak for a year.

Weird... So if I were to buy a 921 from Costco or somewhere other than E*, it's consider a "promo"? That doesn't make any business sense. Wait...what am I saying? ;)

If you have a commitment as part of your new installation... you have to serve that commitment.

If not.. screw their HD pak. Go up the chain to a CSR that'll let you cancel it.

Actaully

If you look at the commitment that you sign, unless it's a 3rd party retailer commitment, there is nothing that says you can't cancel the HD pak. The first promo with the hd811 that was selling it for $149 i believe had a 1 yr commitment to the hd pak but nothing now, including dishn' it up and especially the 921 purchase deals requires you to keep the hd pak. If a CSR will not take it off and you want it off, escalate it and it will happen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)