Tried Search, Too many results

tempVAdish

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 4, 2005
Temperanceville, VA
Anybody still having the Signal Lost banner come up while watching the DVR on Vip622 w/ L512? Mine seems to be doing it a lot more during the last couple of days. I'll be watching DVR playback & the banner will pop up & tell me the channel # and satellite that the tuner is tuned to, but not what the recording was from. If I hit guide, the DVR comes back & I just skip back to watch what was blocked by the banner. This morning, it's happening to live TV too. Watching HDNet on 110, it did the same thing, but hit guide & it comes right back, skip back, and the show is there. I did the system test & it shows LNB drift of -7. I'd like to tell you what my sig strength is on 110, but as of now, the damn thing is locked up. Still waiting for the sig meter to come up, however, I do have the tone in the background of the menu :(

OK, sig strength of 110, tr7 is 50 on both inputs....

anybody found a fix for this anoyance yet?

thx

Well, it may not fix this particular issue, but your superdish needs to be replaced for sure. (if your signature is still correct and you have a superdish with 105 disconnected). LNB Drift -7 is pretty bad, although it shouldn't be killing the 622, if it gets higher during the heat of the day it could account for some signal loss. Alternatively, if you don't want a dish tech to come out and want to keep your superdish, you could just replace the affected LNB. If it's 119 it an easy switch just remove the old DP Dual/Single from it's mount and replace with a new one. If it's the 110, you will need to remove the Superdish Shroud (carefully) remove the old caseless 110 LNB. Carefully take the plastic caseing off of the new DP Dual/Single and put it in place of the old 110.

Well, it may not fix this particular issue, but your superdish needs to be replaced for sure. (if your signature is still correct and you have a superdish with 105 disconnected). LNB Drift -7 is pretty bad, although it shouldn't be killing the 622, if it gets higher during the heat of the day it could account for some signal loss. Alternatively, if you don't want a dish tech to come out and want to keep your superdish, you could just replace the affected LNB. If it's 119 it an easy switch just remove the old DP Dual/Single from it's mount and replace with a new one. If it's the 110, you will need to remove the Superdish Shroud (carefully) remove the old caseless 110 LNB. Carefully take the plastic caseing off of the new DP Dual/Single and put it in place of the old 110.

whats with all of the "carefully" "carefully"????? a properly mounted dish can deal with "normal" handling.

When Im installing a dish Im certainly not doing things "carefully" "carefully". I put it up, twisty on it quite hard to peak it and locker down. No "carefully carefully" to it. I got places to be!

If you have to handel a dish with kid gloves, what the hell happens to it when a 40mph wind hits it all the time from all different directions????

Carefully to an installer may mean one thing, it can mean something else to others that don't handle them on a daily basis. Superdish to me means Stupiddish in which I would see how much damage I could cause to it dropping it from the roof.

Carefully to an installer may mean one thing, it can mean something else to others that don't handle them on a daily basis. Superdish to me means Stupiddish in which I would see how much damage I could cause to it dropping it from the roof.

LOL!

well, im not suggesting anyone get out there with 8 ft crowbars..... but if youre that mechanically inept - you have no business touching a dish anyway.

I too regularly drop the old SDs off the roof, and remove the LNBs to turn into warehouse by smashing the shroud against the concrete. Since he would need to reuse the shroud in this case, smashing it against the concrete would not be an acceptable way to proceed, hence the "carefully" part. When it comes to Stupid dishes, carefully means don't smash it. Sorry if I made you think you have to put it on a feather pillow before proceeding, that was not my intention.

They would definitely replace the whole superdish with a dish 500. The actual LNB assembly for the superdish is not really available anymore (at least not to internal techs) so there is nowhere to get the official replacement from. Replacing just the LNBs is not really authorized and I've only done it twice. Both times for customers that absolutely did not want to replace the superdish with a dish 500 (apparently their 500 previous to the Superdish was poorly aimed and they suffered from a lot of rain fade). Best of luck to you and if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

They would definitely replace the whole superdish with a dish 500. The actual LNB assembly for the superdish is not really available anymore (at least not to internal techs) so there is nowhere to get the official replacement from. Replacing just the LNBs is not really authorized and I've only done it twice. Both times for customers that absolutely did not want to replace the superdish with a dish 500 (apparently their 500 previous to the Superdish was poorly aimed and they suffered from a lot of rain fade). Best of luck to you and if you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

Cool, Thanks. Here's something new & most likely unrelated, but now I cannot get to my "Point Dish" screen. My 622 keeps locking up, then rebooting itself, no matter which sat I'm on (have tried while on a channel from either 110, 119, or 61.5) I think it's time to go to bed... everyone have a good night!

Update - You Won't Believe this!!!

Well, found the problem that was causing the "lost signal" popup on all 3 satellites @ whatever random time and you're not going to believe this, but it's true...

While trying to watch MIB 2 on TBS (sat 61.5), the problem became worse. The pop ups were much more frequent, about every 20-30 seconds. This became very annoying, so here's what I did. I wanted to see if both tuners would do this, so I turned on the PIP. Well, what did I see in the PIP? My OTA... For about the last 30 45 days or so, the OTA around here has been suffering from "ducting", all kinds of crap trying to come in because of the weather, which has resulted in co-channeling & dropouts on my local OTA.

I did a PIP swap & put the OTA in the main window & saw the signal strength was about 70-71 (this on the same channel that I usually get 90+ on) and fluctuating, dropping out about the same rhythm as TBS HD and the others (including playback of recorded items on DVR). I changed channel to a different channel, a satellite channel, and lo & behold, this thing has not lost signal yet!!!! even with the -6 to -7 LNB drift, have not had a problem.

Lesson Learned to share with everyone here: Do not leave the PIP source set for OTA, if you get signal loss in that configuration, you will get the pop up for signal lost on what ever satellite you are tuned to, even if you are watching DVR!!!

btw, this also fixed the problem with the unit locking up trying to get to the Point Dish screen that I mentioned earlier....

I'm sure glad I got this one figured out, hope this helps someone else on here!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)