Tried to order a DTVPal DVR

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

WildBill

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 27, 2004
Florida
Since Dish does not offer HD locals in my area and none are scheduled in the foreseeable future, the DTVPal DVR looked like the perfect way to go. Went to the DTVPal website where it stated the DTVPal Plus could be preordered now for delivery around 12/17.

Clicked on "Order" and filled out the form. It was not until I clicked "Submit" order (which included my credit card info) that I was informed that my order could not be processed because a current or previous Dish customer lived at my address, and was told to call a telephone number.

I was ticked off that there was no indication ahead of time that existing and previous customers were not allowed to order online and that they were collecting credit card information from non-customers.

I called the number provided which turned out to be the Dish digital transition hotline. After wading through several menus I got to the "order DTVPal" line and was told wait for the next service representative. After more that 20 minutes of listening to repeated explanations as to why Dish is not responsible for sports blackouts, I was cut off.

I'm not surprised that Dish is losing customers. Hope your luck is better than mine.

The same thing happened to me, but my experience with the CSR was very positive. He said they were getting a huge number of Dish customers who, after speaking with a CSR, did NOT need to buy the converter box and DVR equipment as they didn't understand that they are already covered for the digital transition by already subscribing to their LIL's. I have met many such people myself who are Dish LIL subscribers who thought that they might need a digital OTA converter box by February.

In my case I told him that I knew that, but I wanted to buy the boxes anyway as Christmas gifts and to be delivered to my address--same as my Dish Network account. He said, "no problem." He then explained that he would have to create a separate account relating only to Dish My DTV Pal so that the order would go through and all future orders on the My TV Pal site would also go through without having to call Dish. I was assured that there was NO additional charge for this new account, but that it was necessary to release this and all future orders. I agreed, and done.

I would guess that Dish is doing this so that those who may not be currently subscribing to LIL's may have the opportunity to do so (more $$ for Dish), and to prevent subs who do subscribe to LIL's buying equipment that they may not need. But if you still want one for whatever reason, they will accept payment and ship it to you.

Thanks for the info. My interest in the DTVPal DVR has nothing to do with the digital transition and everything to do with the fact I want to record more than one HD over-the-air station at a time. If Dish offered HD locals in my area I wouldn't need this box.

I can understand that some people may be confused about the digital transition and think they need one when they don't. But since there is no monthly fee for the DTVPal, I don't understand why they need to create a separate account for it. What difference does it makes what account is charged for it? It's just a one-time charge for the box, no different than buying a DVD player at Best Buy.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. My interest in the DTVPal DVR has nothing to do with the digital transition and everything to do with the fact I want to record more than one HD over-the-air station at a time. If Dish offered HD locals in my area I wouldn't need this box.

I can understand that some people may be confused about the digital transition and think they need one when they don't. But since there is no monthly fee for the DTVPal, I don't understand why they need to create a separate account for it. What difference does it makes what account is charged for it? It's just a one-time charge for the box, no different than buying a DVD player at Best Buy.

Well, any purchases of the My TV Pal will have no connection (financially, at least) to your Dish Network account, so a separate "account" is reasonable. The "account" is probably something they enter into the system that allows all future transactions from the website to go through uninterrupted, as well as indicating for records that as a Dish Network subscriber, you understand that you don't "need" this equipment, but you wish to purchase it anyway. The word "account" is probably nomenclature relating to the computer system: an "account" can mean a lot of things and not necessarily a financial one . Certainly, you can imagine the anger of people who later find out they don't need My TV Pal equipment, and will blame Dish for not telling them so. This Dish policy sounds like a good one, overall.

The CSR said that if an address is used that does not already have a Dish Network account, it will go through the website. But let me stress that Dish is happy to sell any Dish Network customer all the DTV Pal products you want and ship them to the same address as your Dish Network account. Dish just wants to be certain that when you attempt the first purchase that you understand that if you subscribe to LIL's, you don't need the My TV Pal. Once you verbally tell them that you understand this and you want to purchase the products, anyway, they are happy to send the transaction through for you (they probably fill out the same fields that the website has) and fix it so that all future transactions for purchase of any of the My TV Pal boxes--DVR included--will go through the website without having to call Dish.

Again, I think the motive for requiring CSR contact for the first transaction is to offer Dish subs the opportunity to subscribe to LIL's if they currently don't, and to make certain that subs who do get LIL's know that they dont need My TV Pal to be ready for the Digital OTA switch (that saves Dish subs money). However, once you establish that you understand this, they are happy to sell you all the My TV Pal boxes--DVR included--that you want.

So, call the number, talk to the CSR, get your products shipped, and you are all set to make future purchases on the website without interruption. And when you do get your My DTV Pal DVR, please let us know what you think of it. I will most likely purchase one as well because, in my case, I don't want to take up valuable room on my 722 with certain HD OTA locals (the smaller independents and PBS stations that Dish doesn't yet offer in my DMA) that are in space hogging MPEG-2. I would use the My Pal DVR for those recordings and use the 722 for the MPEG-4 LIL's and other channels.

Last edited:
Tried calling again. Got through after two attempts. Took about 25 minutes for them to check all of the account information and read through all of the disclaimers, but I finally got one ordered. They are still expected to ship Dec. 17th. I'll let you know how it works when it arrives.

Ummm, were you looking to order the DTVPal Plus, or DTVPal DVR, because those are two completely different things? You stated you wanted the DVR, but then you say you click on order DTVPal Plus (which is just the DTVPal with a better digital tuner in it). I hope you didn't order one thing and think you were getting another.

Ummm, were you looking to order the DTVPal Plus, or DTVPal DVR, because those are two completely different things? You stated you wanted the DVR, but then you say you click on order DTVPal Plus (which is just the DTVPal with a better digital tuner in it). I hope you didn't order one thing and think you were getting another.

Sorry for the mistaken reference about the DTVPal Plus in my original post. I did indeed order the DTVPal DVR. I was certainly charged for one!

Cheers!

Knowing those DishPals carry hidden smart card, I wouldn't insist on different meaning of the word "ACCOUNT" !
I would say Dish is ready for PayTV movement for OTA receivers or DVRs.

Well, any purchases of the My TV Pal will have no connection (financially, at least) to your Dish Network account, so a separate "account" is reasonable. The "account" is probably something they enter into the system that allows all future transactions from the website to go through uninterrupted, as well as indicating for records that as a Dish Network subscriber, you understand that you don't "need" this equipment, but you wish to purchase it anyway. The word "account" is probably nomenclature relating to the computer system: an "account" can mean a lot of things and not necessarily a financial one . Certainly, you can imagine the anger of people who later find out they don't need My TV Pal equipment, and will blame Dish for not telling them so. This Dish policy sounds like a good one, overall.

The CSR said that if an address is used that does not already have a Dish Network account, it will go through the website. But let me stress that Dish is happy to sell any Dish Network customer all the DTV Pal products you want and ship them to the same address as your Dish Network account. Dish just wants to be certain that when you attempt the first purchase that you understand that if you subscribe to LIL's, you don't need the My TV Pal. Once you verbally tell them that you understand this and you want to purchase the products, anyway, they are happy to send the transaction through for you (they probably fill out the same fields that the website has) and fix it so that all future transactions for purchase of any of the My TV Pal boxes--DVR included--will go through the website without having to call Dish.

Again, I think the motive for requiring CSR contact for the first transaction is to offer Dish subs the opportunity to subscribe to LIL's if they currently don't, and to make certain that subs who do get LIL's know that they dont need My TV Pal to be ready for the Digital OTA switch (that saves Dish subs money). However, once you establish that you understand this, they are happy to sell you all the My TV Pal boxes--DVR included--that you want.

So, call the number, talk to the CSR, get your products shipped, and you are all set to make future purchases on the website without interruption. And when you do get your My DTV Pal DVR, please let us know what you think of it. I will most likely purchase one as well because, in my case, I don't want to take up valuable room on my 722 with certain HD OTA locals (the smaller independents and PBS stations that Dish doesn't yet offer in my DMA) that are in space hogging MPEG-2. I would use the My Pal DVR for those recordings and use the 722 for the MPEG-4 LIL's and other channels.

Knowing those DishPals carry hidden smart card, I wouldn't insist on different meaning of the word "ACCOUNT" !
I would say Dish is ready for PayTV movement for OTA receivers or DVRs.

The light bulb comes on. I suspected that there might be another reason for the ethernet port besides downloading software updates. Thankfully, there is no phone jack to keep connected.

The CSR I spoke to did not say anything about having to set up a separate account for the DTVPal, but did spend a good five minutes "checking" my account and another 10 trying to get his computer to process my order. He also wanted to make sure I understood that I would not get any Dish programming, that Dish was not responsible for any problems getting OTA stations, and that all sales were final.

I think it is just simpler -- and you may even save a few bucks whether it be on the price, the S&H or both -- to go to the government's DTV website and check out the vendors listed there and order from one of them --

https://www.dtv2009.gov/VendorSearch.aspx

Not much help since the DTVPal DVR is NOT a coupon-eligible converter box and is not sold by retailers listed except for Dish. Whats more, the Dish number listed is the same one I was told to call.

I tried the same thing. Over the Internet, but then it said I was a Dish customer and had to call. I called the next day, got some lady in India, took my info, and she billed me for shipping. Couple of days later, an American woman called me and said they should've billed me for the device. I said why? and she said it was because it was a pre-order. I asked did they have enough of these things because I don't like having to pay for something and then go on backorder. She said they had plenty. We'll see.