Status
Please reply by conversation.

GreatFTA

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2006
Mississippi Delta
Hi Everybody!
I was online yesterday and stumbled across a ad for a new satellite meter!
It is a Trimax SM-1100 satellite meter.
This meter will be much better than the really expensive Bird Dog and others.
This meter is used for C Band, FTA, and Ku Band setups.
With this meter, you can SEE the channel, see the signal and quality signal strengths bars, has a LED light that lights up when you lock in on a satellite, is programable, can scan, and can store satellite (just like the satellite receiver!)
It is like having a FTA (or regular satellite receiver), TV, and strength meter built in a handheld machine!
All you do is to run a RG 6 cable from the LNB to this meter and turm it on!
Line up the dish to what satellite you want, program the frequency and other info and when you are on the satellite, find tune by watching the TV screen and in minutes, you are watching FTA or regular satelliite TV! Then you run your cable(s) to where your receiver will be located.
This meter has a rechargable battery, comes with a cigarette lighter plug, and other accessaries.
No more dragging the extension cords, TV set, satellite receiver, tables,etc...
out to your site. :D
The cost is up to $599. If you check out the other sources, like DVB Hardware site, you can find one for $485. I ordered mine from Rick's Satellite who will match the lowest price you find (from a dependable seller) and knock off $10 from that low price.
I will be getting mine Monday. ;)
Rick swears for this great meter! When he go to a site he wear it from his neck so it will be right there while he adjust the dish he is working on, Even told me that if electricity is out at home and there's a football game, Nascar race, or program you wanna watch, just get out the SM-1100, hook it up to the cable running to the dish and BINGO you will be watching it in the dark while everyone else be cussing and fussing for not able to watch because of power failure.
Rick told me the only drawback on this product is you won't be able to program the Directv satellites. Directv has something in their signal that causes the SM-1100 meter not to pick up their signal. I reckon it is to prevent hacking.
But this meter will work great on all other satellites on the arc.
Go to the Trimax site and see what this baby can really do!
I know I am long winded in this post, but I am excited about it, and when I get mine next week I sure will let you know more about it. ;)

I've been looking at these new meters with the built-in receiver... nice. I just wish the price was about half of what it is. The portability factor is definitely a plus, no TV to lug up and down, no receiver, no AC cord. Very easy to grab and run inside with when it starts to rain :)

what would be super nice was if they had a deluxe model that is a spectrum analyzer. even for $1k it would 1/4 the price of a prodig

I read somewhere that it will be in the works to have a meter that also include a spectrum analyzer. I reckon if it does come out with it, the price should be MUCH higher. :(
Getting the SM-1100 at a price of $477.95 is great. I expected it to be costing way more than the expensive meters that only tells you what satellite is located and the signal.
I about to bet you the price of the SM-1100 would increase soon...
Let's hope not...
Has anyone bought one?

I have one, I love it, it's been to muggy hot for me to play with, respectively. Believe me, it's time is coming. I did check it out though, and it sure beats the heck out of lugging my receiver, then my tv, along with any tools onto the roof. It cut one way trips from 2-3 down to one. The one time (so far) that I've really used it, I was able to get 2-3 points improvement on my Fortec 1.2m dish, and 2-10 points on different lnbf's on the Torodial 90 dish. I got "0" improvement on my mesh BUD. It was getting dark and the mosquitoes were eating me as there supper. So, I intend to get back to the C-band dish sometime in the cooler future.

Al

That's great, Al!
Rick, who I do most of my buying from, really praise it big time! He said exactly what you're saying. and that's alot!
How good is the TV picture? (In case there's a reader reading this: The SM-1100 has a 3.5 inch screen and it is COLOR :D).
Have you used the angle feature, to determine the settings of the dish?
How many satellites are stored in the SM-1100?
And when you scan, does all the channels on a satellite be scanned? You know, like blind scan?
Have you tried to config the Directv satellites? Rick said that some Directv installers bought one to help install their dishs but couldn't.
With the DiSEqc switch, would I be able to operate my SG2100 HH drive? Nevermind, I see it has the Versions 1.0 and 1.1. It must relate to the LNBs.
I hope you don't mind me asking you questions, Al.
I got one ordered and it is scheduled to be delivered Tuesday. Since you have one, I am hoping to get both good and bad input about the SM-1100.

That's great, Al!
Rick, who I do most of my buying from, really praise it big time! He said exactly what you're saying. and that's alot!
How good is the TV picture? (In case there's a reader reading this: The SM-1100 has a 3.5 inch screen and it is COLOR :D).
I think the picture is very good, not as good as the 73" screen I'm used to, but very good with clear digital picture.
Have you used the angle feature, to determine the settings of the dish?
No, I put in co-ordinates, my location and Sat location, and it gave the numbers, but I haven't used it for that, just checking it out. So I can only guess the numbers are correct. You have to re-enter the co-ordinance every time you use it. If you check one Sat, then you go to check another Sat, it's like starting from scratch. Also when you leave the page, when you come back you have to start from scratch again.
How many satellites are stored in the SM-1100?
There are 28 locations, but only 27 are programmed with Sat names, the 28th one says "Other". You can use any one though, by changing the settings appropriately and it will default back to what is stored when you leave. You can also change what is stored to what you want stored.
And when you scan, does all the channels on a satellite be scanned? You know, like blind scan?
No, it does not do a Blind Scan. It will only scan the TP (TP's) you have stored or the one you enter.
Have you tried to config the Directv satellites? Rick said that some Directv installers bought one to help install their dishs but couldn't.
No, but then I don't have any use for Directv Sats.
With the DiSEqc switch, would I be able to operate my SG2100 HH drive? Nevermind, I see it has the Versions 1.0 and 1.1. It must relate to the LNBs.
I see no place to enter or change any kind of Switch.
I hope you don't mind me asking you questions, Al.
No, I don't mind. If I can answer, I'll be glad to.
I got one ordered and it is scheduled to be delivered Tuesday. Since you have one, I am hoping to get both good and bad input about the SM-1100.
I've had mine about 3 weeks now, and when I got it out of the box, it says to Charge the Battery for 5 hours. I sure didn't want to do that, I wanted to play. But, I did, I plugged it up and a little Red Light came on, on the transformer that plugs in the outlet. I glanced at it about 15 minutes later and the little Light was Green. My thinking it must be charged. So I started checking it out, going through the Menu's. I even hooked it to my C-band coax and tried it out. I got a Beep immediately and did a scan. Woo Hoo, I was watching C-band programming. When I got through messing with it, I plugged it back to the wall outlet. The little light was Red. It took at least an hour and fifteen minutes this time before it turned Green. There is nothing in the Manual about how the Light Color is supposed to work. I checked with Tim at DMSI and was told the Red means it's Charging and the Green means it has a Sufficient Charge. I know you will enjoy it!

Al

Thank you, Al.
Now I am really excited and can't wait to try it out!
My friend is gradually getting out of satellite business. He has been installing satellite systems since the '80s. Lately he installs Directv systems. When I mention FTA systems he said he wasn't interested since it is fooling with Ku and he HATES Ku since it is a pain in the neck to align.
I kinda scare to show him this meter, he may change his mind...
Since I know how to do the FTA stuff :) I am very interested in installing systems. There's very few FTA systems here. I have some folks at work asking about it so I know the potential is real.
With this meter and a .75 meter Channel Master dish on a portable stand that I can set on the ground I can show potential customers what they can recieve on FTA! Just aim it at G10 or T5 and let them see the channels. Then I will show them the recievers and dishs available for FTA reception!
That meter would be a great tool in selling FTA systems.
And I can get the word out that I can relign C Band systems at a good price I may do well. I am retiring in a coupla years and this would be a great supplement income with my pension.

Trimax SM 1100 update?

HI there everyone,

I was wondering if there's any update or new Bin or Trimax SM 1100? what kinda setup should be used for the American or Canadian channels (C or KU) 11250 or 11300.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

I'm not aware of any updated bin files for this meter, it is New after all.
C-band uses an L.O. of 5150
ku-band Standard Linear uses an L.O. of 10750
ku-band Universal Linear uses an L.O. of 9750 and 10600 (I think)
DBS uses an L.O. of 11250
But, you need to set it for whatever the L.O. is of your LNBF or LNB

Al

Would a cheap alternative be something along the lines of a SF-3000E? They're selling new on eBay for $175 (watched one just end for $177.50 + $21.94 shipping a few minutes ago). Here is a description on the unit.

I have one, I love it, it's been to muggy hot for me to play with, respectively. Believe me, it's time is coming. I did check it out though, and it sure beats the heck out of lugging my receiver, then my tv, along with any tools onto the roof. It cut one way trips from 2-3 down to one. The one time (so far) that I've really used it, I was able to get 2-3 points improvement on my Fortec 1.2m dish, and 2-10 points on different lnbf's on the Torodial 90 dish. I got "0" improvement on my mesh BUD. It was getting dark and the mosquitoes were eating me as there supper. So, I intend to get back to the C-band dish sometime in the cooler future.

Al

Al, talking about C band, does this meter only cover the FTA frequencies of the C band? What about 4DTV?
Is this meter strictly for FTA channels, both Ku and C band?

Would a cheap alternative be something along the lines of a SF-3000E? They're selling new on eBay for $175 (watched one just end for $177.50 + $21.94 shipping a few minutes ago). Here is a description on the unit.

That model you mention is far cheaper than the Birddog meter which is between $500 and $600. If the SM-1100 haven't come along and I saw the SF-3000E I would go for it, in a heartbeat!
What I love about the SM-1100 is the picture screen of the channel. That what got me sold into buying the this product. I am surprised that Trimax isn't asking between $700 and $900 for this meter!!
Thank you for bringing out the info on SF-3000E meter. I went to the site about this product and it seem very impressive, for under $180!
Somebody may want to go that route as far as a good meter at a affordable price!

Al, talking about C band, does this meter only cover the FTA frequencies of the C band? What about 4DTV?
Is this meter strictly for FTA channels, both Ku and C band?
I haven't tried it on a Digicipher II transponder. It would probably show a signal, but not lock onto it. So, there would be no beep. When I get a chance, I'll check it out and see?

Al

I talked to Rick from Rick's Satellite and he doesn't think it would work on the 4DTV signals. I am going to try this weekend out of curiousity and hope it will work. I ain't trying to prove him wrong...
The meter does say Digital.

My original DVB receiver is a Manhattan. And it has only one signal bar on it. It is "Red" in color when it has a signal and it turns "Yellow" when it gets a "Quality" signal or a lock. When it's "Red" it could be a Scrambled channel or it could be ground clutter or it could be a Digicipher II signal. But it will not turn "Yellow" on these 3 types of signals. And it would/will show a (Red) signal on a Digicipher II channel. I've never really noticed if my other DVB receivers will do this or not, as I don't mess with those signals anyway, since the DVB receiver will not get a lock on them. But, like you say, it is digital, so I don't see why it won't at least show a signal, even if it don't get a lock on it?

Al

I talked to Rick from Rick's Satellite and he doesn't think it would work on the 4DTV signals. I am going to try this weekend out of curiousity and hope it will work. I ain't trying to prove him wrong...
The meter does say Digital.

I think what Rick is saying, the meter won't show you a picture on encrypted channels. I believe it will still give you the signal reading. As far as I know, it works on all satellites except DTV at 101. They are doing something to the signal there that doesn't allow the meter to pick it up. I've also tried all the FTA receivers we have here and they also won't pick up a signal. AMC4 and all other satellites work without problem.

I think what Rick is saying, the meter won't show you a picture on encrypted channels. I believe it will still give you the signal reading. As far as I know, it works on all satellites except DTV at 101. They are doing something to the signal there that doesn't allow the meter to pick it up. I've also tried all the FTA receivers we have here and they also won't pick up a signal. AMC4 and all other satellites work without problem.

I reckon you are right, about the 4DTV. The 4DTV gives the signal and quality reading as well. I figure the SM-1100 would do the same.
Rick said the same thing about the DTV at 101. Several DTV installers bought the SM-1100 thinking it would help them set up the DTV systems for their customers. Some took the meters back to Rick and Rick went and hook the meter to his DTV dish with no good results. I appreciate Rick's honesty when he was telling me the pros and cons of this meter. :up
Overall I am glad to get this meter!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts