Triple LNB no Local channels?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TK22867

Original poster
Aug 16, 2005
Hello all,

I've been browsing these boards for a while and thought it was time to make my first post. I am a cable user looking into switching to directv, strictly for the NFL sunday ticket. I wanted to do the installation myself, and am capable, but it seems like directv just doesn't let that happen anymore. FYI, I want to go with the standard four (4) room option.

Anyways, I asked a directv rep at the mall today if I could get a triple LNB "elliptical" dish with my standard system, and he proceeded to tell me that this dish could not get local channels. He said I had to use two (2) dishes, each pointed a different direction. Is this true or is he pulling my leg? I think I want the triple LNB satellite just in case I go with HD someday, and I don't want to mess with re-aligning two satellite dishes by myself if we get a nasty wind storm here in South Dakota. I'm pretty sure I could re-align the triple LNB dish.

Also, when they do the professional install, do they leave behind the manuals for the receivers and dish?

I think I found the system I want at solidsignal/com, but wanted to check here first to see if I am thinking about this the right way.

They told you the truth. In some areas a second dish is needed for locals. The installer should leave you all manuals. If for some reason he would forget to, they are all available on D's website.

I thought the elliptical, 3 LNB dish was a "multi-satellite" dish and could get all the channels, including the local channels?

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

For some of the smaller markets D* does require a second dish pointed at 72.5 to get their locals. The multisatellite dish does get locals, but for other markets. You will need the multisatellite (3-LNB) dish to get HD.

TK, since you are in South Dakota, I'll assume you would be receiving the Sioux Falls local channels. They are located at the 72.5 degree West slot, which does require a second dish, 18 inches, pointed to that position.

Thanks for the answers guys. Yes, they will be Sioux Falls channels so it looks like I need a second dish. So the last question I have is if I order a system online that only includes one dish (the triple LNB), will the installer already know that he needs to bring a second dish to install? Will there be an extra charge because of this? If I don't plan on going HD for a while, should I just order a regular dish?

The previous homeowner has a dual LNB dish already installed on the house with cables to the electrical room. However, I am concerned about a line of sight issue in the future (newly planted trees). Does the installer have the right to re-use that dish, or can I have them install the new one higher, or will they just move the existing dish higher?

Thanks again!

I would recommend ordering your Directv system from Value Electronics. Robert is very good and will make sure your order is taken care of!!

I thought of one more question. If I use the triple LNB dish and want local programming, will the directv installer provide the multiswitch for free or do I have to provide it? From what I recall, you need a special cascadable multiswitch in addition to the built-in multiswitch in order to get both local and directv channels.

Thanks.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)