Triplexer/diplexer/OTA question

teb2500

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2010
US
i have a question about incoming coax cables to my 722 receiver. where the receiver is located, i have two coax cables - one is for an OTA which runs directly to the OTA module on the receiver and the other is the satellite feed to a triplexer (which takes the TV2 signal out). i have an option to add another set top box to the same TV that came with my internet that has cheap HBO, but don't have an option to run another coax cable there.

i had a thought about combining the OTA and satellite feed to a diplexer first and then splitting it with another diplexer to go to the OTA module and triplexer. that would free up the other coax cable for the HBO set top box. i'm not sure if diplexers and triplexers would work together on the same cable.

is this an option or is there any other way to get three feeds (OTA, satellite & HBO cable) on two coax cables? i guess the option to combine the OTA and HBO line would exist as well???

thanks for any assistance!

You are using your triplexer to backfeed the TV2 output? I don't use the modulated output from my 722 for anything (too snowy), so I use the triplexer for the OTA tuner. You could do this too unless you absolutely positively must use that RF output. Even then, I think I have read of some folks using conventional splitters to combine the antenna signal with the TV2 backfeed.

I never had much luck using a splitter in reverse...........too snowy
I used a channel master splitter device that combined the ota signal with the tv2 output & allowed for up to 8 outputs...............worked very well

I'm not having any issue using the triplexer for the TV2 feed - picture is clear. I tried to combine the HBO cable feed and the OTA feed via two diplexers and it doesn't work - whichever one is connected to the SAT port is not getting a signal. I'll try the satellite feed and OTA feed with the diplexers to see if that works...

If I'm understanding your situation correctly your HBO box is a cable box. If that is correct a diplexer won't work. Both the HBO feed and your OTA are using the same freq. range. That is why the one connected to the TV port works and the Sat port doesn't. What I would try is to disconnect the triplexer lead on TV2 out and put it on the OTA adapter. At the other end put a diplexer on the sat cable and connect the OTA to it. That frees up the cable you are using now for OTA. Use that cable to combine the HBO cable and TV2 out using a splitter/combiner at each end to combine and then split the HBO and TV2 feeds. You will need to be sure that you TV2 modulator is set to a cable channel that is not present on the HBO cable.

Bob

If I'm understanding your situation correctly your HBO box is a cable box. If that is correct a diplexer won't work. Both the HBO feed and your OTA are using the same freq. range. That is why the one connected to the TV port works and the Sat port doesn't. What I would try is to disconnect the triplexer lead on TV2 out and put it on the OTA adapter. At the other end put a diplexer on the sat cable and connect the OTA to it. That frees up the cable you are using now for OTA. Use that cable to combine the HBO cable and TV2 out using a splitter/combiner at each end to combine and then split the HBO and TV2 feeds. You will need to be sure that you TV2 modulator is set to a cable channel that is not present on the HBO cable.

Bob
Hi Bob - just had an opportunity to try your setup and it works. Only downside is snowy picture on TV2. I tried different modulator channels, but that doesn't seem to have any effect. I am using a splitter for the HBO cable box/TV2 feeds - should I be using a diplexer instead? If not, is there a certain splitter I should be using? Any ideas to correct this or is this the price to pay for trying to make this all work? :) Thanks for your assistance!

You need to figure out a way to fish another cable. Mixing anything with a cableco signal is a very bad idea as you have no idea what they are placing where in the frequency spectrum.

When you say snowy picture, do you mean grainy or there is no picture at all?

It's grainy, but not that bad. I can live with it if this is the easiest way to set up the three feeds. Fishing another cable is not an option at this point.

Try putting the TV on channel 116 or 21, and changing the modulator setup to air 60 or cable 73. See if that small difference makes a difference for you. Also, just know that this TV will be in SD.

Try putting the TV on channel 116 or 21, and changing the modulator setup to air 60 or cable 73. See if that small difference makes a difference for you. Also, just know that this TV will be in SD.

Thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately no difference in air vs cable. I think I may be out of options to improve quality of TV2, but it's acceptable at this point. Thanks again for all of the forum help!

You could try putting a line amp on the combined TV2 signal, something in the 10-15dB range. Your splitting and combining has weakend the signal a small amount of amplification may improve picture quality.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)