Tripod Alignment Low 101 Signal

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

billlaycock

Original poster
Oct 14, 2012
Birmingham
Good Afternoon,
I have a tripod setup that I have used for tailgating over the past 4 seasons. I have not had an issue in the past aligning the dish and getting HD service. Last weekend, I struck out for the first time. I brought the equipment home. Struck out again. Following is my setup:

Slimeline-3S (SWM)
H24-500 Receiver
4 Way SWM
Power Inserter

Zip Code: 35242
Azim 205
Elevation 49
Tilt 49

I have a torpedo level on mast of tripod. Level all the way around.
I have systematically replaced LNB, PI, SWM and cables from receiver to LNB.
I have checked voltage on cable before going to LNB. Reading is 30V.
I can connect the receiver to my home system and it works great.

LOCAL HD channels on 99s work.

It seems like an alignment problem. However, I have done this many times in the past without issue. I can't get past step one of peaking 101! I am getting only 50s and 60s. Not a strong signal. Nothing but blue sky in front of the dish itself.

101 Numbers:
1-8 57 63 45 0 49 62 53 62
9-16 50 65 45 0 51 67 15 61
17-24 0 95 0 0 49 66 51 63
25-32 51 64 45 88 66 70 51 75

99ca and 99cb
All zeroes

99s
1-8 0 26 0 24 0 0 0 0
9-16 na na na na na na 0 0
17-24 0 0 0 0 42 42 0 0
25-32 na na na na na na na na

103ca
1-8 na na na na na na na na
9-16 25 0 0 27 0 0 0 27
17-24 0 0 0 0 24 24 0 25
25-32 na na na na na na na na

103cb
All zeroes

I don't know what else to try. Step one would be to get 90s on 101. I can't get that far. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Bill

Jimbo - Thanks for responding so quickly.

I don't think so.

I am pointing the dish a bit east of AZ 205 and doing a slow sweep west. The numbers posted are the best I can get. I have also adjusted the elevation up and down from 49 (45-55) once I get maximum values on the AZ sweep. 49 produces the best signals for 101.

I am lost as to why I can't get really high numbers on 101. Should be straightforward. (Naturally - 99 and 103 would follow next but I am not getting that far)

I have checked voltage to the LNB. Power inserter seems to be generating power.

My replacement LNB = SL3S4NR2-14. This is a different model than SL3S4NR4-01 which was the original.

Would a bad or incorrect LNB cause this behavior? I am not sure.

It looks just like poor alignment on 101. Could be a faulty LNB but that's less likely.

Why exactly are we getting 30 volts? That's too high, sorta. 29 volt should be between 28.1-29.3, and 21 volt should be readying between 20.1-20.8. No reason for the 4 way either. If I was guess it sounds like a bad alignment job. Make sure everything is plumb and level, remove the unneeded splitter, throw a 21 volt power supply on it (if you can readily get one) and try dithering that dish again

Firstly - you guys are awesome for answering so quickly. It's gameday in the south! Heading out in a few minutes and will try again this week.

I will try to bypass the splitter today and have the PI directly connected to the LNB.

I am using a PI21R1-03. Specs on the unit say 21V output. I retested the voltage and looks like I am getting a range from 20.8 to 21.4. (I have two PIs - the other one is not marked. It might have been 29V).

Firstly - you guys are awesome for answering so quickly. It's gameday in the south! Heading out in a few minutes and will try again this week.

I will try to bypass the splitter today and have the PI directly connected to the LNB.

I am using a PI21R1-03. Specs on the unit say 21V output. I retested the voltage and looks like I am getting a range from 20.8 to 21.4. (I have two PIs - the other one is not marked. It might have been 29V).

If the second one is grey it is indeed a 29 volt. Looks like the voltage is where it should be now. Bypassing the splitter won't help signal strength but will help gain 8 more db's at the receiver. I think just being gentle and slowly peaking in the dish should get you taken care of. Good luck and enjoy some football!

Again - Thank you for continuing to respond.

Brought everything back home today (at least the Crimson Tide won yesterday, unlike last week).

Getting same results. Attached are pictures of level, elevation and tilt. I am pointing AZ to 205. Literally standing below the installed Directv Dish and pointing same way. I am starting about 10 degrees east. I barely touch it going to the west in stages. I start to get signals on even channels first. About 60 percent or so. Odds are zeroes. Keep touching ever so slightly to west until the odds come in. The best I can get are 40s and 50s on odds. Evens get into 60s. I continue touching to west until all zeroes. I then go back to where the signal strength was best. I try to dither elevation and AZ with nutdriver. It seems everything is set optimally as I lose strength with ditering attempts. Even getting these numbers are more sensitive than I can ever recall.

I have tried 3 LNBs, 2 PIs. Same results. Moved the receiver onto my home system. Works great. It has to be me but I can't figure this out. Very frustrating as I have done this for 5 years now going to games.

Treat me like a rookie since I am obviously getting rookie results! Let me ask a 'dumb' question:

What piece of the satellite dish do I point to AZ 205? Arm, pedestal, 90 degrees to middle?

Do any of these clues (failures) jump out to anyone? Like - obviously your AZ is off or Elevation, etc?

Thank you again. Y'all are great to help.

2015-09-27 11.22.13.jpg 2015-09-27 11.22.42.jpg 2015-09-27 11.27.53.jpg 2015-09-27 11.28.17.jpg

Your azimuth/elevation/skew look completely wrong. Where did you get the numbers?
What numbers does dishpointer.com give you?

Your azimuth/elevation/skew look completely wrong. Where did you get the numbers?
What numbers does dishpointer.com give you?
Heres what dishpointer shows for him :

Zip Code 35242

Satellite DataDish Setup Data

Name: 101W DIRECTV 4S | DIRECTV 9S | SES 1

Elevation: 48.1°
Azimuth (true): 204.6°
Azimuth (magn.): 207.8°
LNB Skew [?]: 20.3°
arrow-r.png

=========================================================

Heres what his numbers from earlier post says:

Zip Code: 35242
Elevation 49
Azim 205
Tilt 49

His skew in the photo posted shows 72
Elevation shows about 50, could be close enough, remembering that these numbers are a reference point.

Yes - Jimbo. Those are correct. I have given up and have a local contractor coming on Wednesday. As I mentioned, I have been doing this for many years now. I will be interested in what we find out.

Yes - Jimbo. Those are correct. I have given up and have a local contractor coming on Wednesday. As I mentioned, I have been doing this for many years now. I will be interested in what we find out.
Which ones are correct ...
Your photo showed different settings, I was hoping you would see the difference and see if that would solve your issue.

I apologize about the tilt in earlier post. Typo.

Data from Dishpointer are correct.

Also - these values correspond to values on Setup Page of Directv menu:

Dish = SL3-S
AZ = 205
ELEV = 49
TILT = 71

Ok .... I'm confused to a degree.
when I went to dishpointer.com and put in the zip, it shows a skew of like 20, which to me is way off from what I would have expected.
See my post a few back, in the 70's seems more accurate, so what does the 20 designate ?

It says LNB Skew 20, I would have thought it was the skew/tilt.
Am I reading this wrong or did I put in the wrong info ?

Post 10

Hey Jimbo - I was confused on that point as well. I believe dishpointer means to rotate clockwise 20.3 degrees from a reference of 90. This would give you approximately 79 degree tilt.

Hey Jimbo - I was confused on that point as well. I believe dishpointer means to rotate clockwise 20.3 degrees from a reference of 90. This would give you approximately 79 degree tilt.
I'll try mine and see what it says.

I think your right as mine says skew 18 and mine is set to 72.

Have you tried setting yours to 70 yet ?

Remember, 1 number difference is a long ways up there.

Update.

I had a contractor come by today. He was getting same results.

We started physically pulling on the top of the slimline reflector. Signal increased to mid 70s. Looks like a I have a mis-shapen reflector. It does not appear warped upon visual inspection, but it obviously is. I have another one that I will use to test and will update the forum.

Final update. Maybe someone can learn from my issue.

I used a rubber mallet and made all the edges smooth on the reflector. I did notice some dents. Bingo! 90s for signal strength on 101. All HD channels coming in. Tailgating will be more enjoyable next weekend. Thanks for everyone who contributed.

Final update. Maybe someone can learn from my issue.

I used a rubber mallet and made all the edges smooth on the reflector. I did notice some dents. Bingo! 90s for signal strength on 101. All HD channels coming in. Tailgating will be more enjoyable next weekend. Thanks for everyone who contributed.
Wait a minute ... ok, your saying that you had a bent dish and you rounded it with a rubber mallet ?

First, with the dish being rounded on the edges, it is VERY hard to get one that is not the shape required.
2nd, a rubber mallet ? you solved this with a rubber mallet ? How long is this gonna last ?

I strongly suggest getting a new dish (at least the reflector portion).

Of course. I had nothing to lose trying to form a reflector was already paid for. But this proves it was the reflector and not an alignment or plumb or whatever issue.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)