Tripod Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dogstar1313

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 7, 2005
Tennessee
I'm kicking around the idea of buying a tripod mount to use when I initially get my system so I can experiment with different locations to determine where my best LOS is. What diameter mast should I be looking for? Most of the tripods I have seen so far have a mast with a 1-5/8 inch OD. One was 1-3/4 inch OD. Don't I need minimum 2 inch mast OD for a FTA rig or am I way off base?

Depending upon the antenna that you purchase, you could always
temporarily attach the mounting bracket to a large timber
(2 x 12 inch board or a few pieces secured together, and weighted with a cement block or two).

Most DBS antennas include a 1.67 inch OD mast.

Other common sizes are 2 inch, 2-3/8 inch and 3-inch OD.

Many larger antennas are sold without mounting brackets.
If you need something in the above larger diameters, go to
www.global-cm.net

as Mike noted, most mast sizes are 1 5/8"
the larger dishes are 2 or 2 3/8"

(my 36" uses a 1 5/8 but the DirecPC, which is 39x23 has a 2 3/8")

Looks like I was way off base. The dish I'm looking at is a Fortec 36" so I guess I'll be OK with the 1-5/8 mast. Thanks Guys!!

I have read the review on the T-Pod and I am watching one on EBay. My concern with the T-Pod though is that it sits on the ground and in my location I know I could only get the higher satellites in the arc from the ground. At least for the ones to the east anyway. My west is fairly open with the exception of one Oak tree. Lots of close houses and buildings to the east though. The tripod I have my eye on is 5 feet tall so I thought that it might help me out a bit in determining whether I can get by with mounting the dish off a pole in the yard or whether I will need to mount it on the roof of the shed behind the house. I'm pretty sure I can get a good LOS from the shed roof, but I might be able to find a spot where I could do the same thing with a pole cemented in the ground.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)