Trouble aiming 119 dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

RedLance

Original poster
Nov 27, 2004
Okay, I have both 18inch round dishes up. A Toshiba and an RCA, if it matters. The RCA is my 101 dish, and the Toshiba the 119 dish. The 119 is mounted on an extension arm, to get it above the 101 dish. I had to do this for my mounting location. The 101 dish is pointed fine, peaks at about 89 on transponder 1. I'm using an RCA DirecTivo, model DVR39. When I go to the signal meter, and set it to 119, and transponder 26, which is where my locals should be, I get nothing, but, if I set it to 27, I get about a 50, even with the 119 dish pointed north.

Is something not hooked up right? Am I not even close to getting it pointed right? Where can I find aiming information like elevation and deviation? I'm at zip code 68333, 40 Degrees 38.030' North, and 96 degrees 57.736' West. Using the aiming info from the IRD is no use, as it's for an oval dish...

Does it make a difference that I only have 1 coax from the 119 dish to my 5x8?

Thanks!

Brian

Yes, it makes a difference how the switch is connected. You need to have BOTH cables from your 101 AND 119 WL LNBF's connected to your multi switch.

You also need to select "OVAL 2 sat" in the menu, so the receiver knows you are looking for 2 satellite locations. That is probably why you are showing signal strength when none is there. You can also let the receiver "auto configure", which will find the correct settings for your system.

Now, that being said, I also agree with wobbie about the Phase 3 dish antenna for two reasons.

First, having your 119 antenna mounted on a mast extension is asking for trouble, due to wind load. You are putting an unreasonable amount of torque on the mast foot with this configuration. Don't be surprised to lose your signal strength on both satellites EVERY TIME the wind blows.

Second, is the simplicity of the Phase 3 antenna. It was designed for this application, you should use it. You aim 101, and 119 will be there, provided your antenna is set correctly. The dish reflector is bigger, providing better protection against rain fade. It is also less of an eyesore.

Best of luck!

Al

Thank you everyone.

The 119 dish is still on it's own mounting foot, seperate from the 101 dish. The extension is only about 18 inches long, so I don't think I'll need to worry too much about wind load, but that is a good point that I didn't think of before.

In my opinion, the Phase III dish is more of an eyesore. I like the look of the 2 smaller dishes.

I have read plenty of problems people are having getting their Phase III dish pointed correctly , so I don't think it is all that much easier.

Thank you for your input.

Welcome to Satelliteguys!! :welcome

Its your choice how you set your satellite system up. I agree with everyone who's posted saying the Phase-III is more practical and eliminates this problem. To me having 3 seperate dishes would be more of an eye sore than having one Phase-III dish.

119 Satellite

Okay, so here's another question. I have the 18" oval, triple LNB setup.

I get the 101 sat and the 110 sat just fine, at 96 percent plus. I don't get the 119 sat at all. I have four lines coming off the LNB. Two go to a multiplexer, running DVR40s in Bedroom 1 and Bedroom2. The second two go to a DVR80 in the family room.

The dish aiming is from my back deck, up between two neighboring chimneys in the townhouses just down from mine.

So is the reason that I can't get the 119 sat (all pointing parameters checked and adjusted) that it is blocked by one of the chimneys, or that I have the wrong two lines from the LNB coming to my receiver?

And how will this affect me next year, when I upgrade to HDTV but they throw up three more sats to handle it? Another dish? Different mount?

Dave

You are getting 110 on the DVR80 only, correct? In order for a multi dish, multiswitch to work correctly off of a Phase 3 dish, all 4 connections from the dish antenna need to be connected to a 4x8 or 5x8 multiswitch.

If you are getting 101/110 on just the one receiver, then the chimneys may be the problem. But the chimneys have to be awful close to the antenna to completely block 119. When you are behind the dish, looking toward the satellites, are the chimneys to the right of the dish? For simplicity, you may want to connect your Phase 3 to a 4x8 or 5x8 switch.

Al

Help

I have the same problem. I can not get the 119. I only have two of the connections from the dish hooked up. I have the other two lines just hanging off the dish and taped up. Is this the problem? Why can I get 110 and 101 but not 119? Why would I need a multiswitch? I have the oval tripple LNB dish?

I have only three connections (one hd and then a tivo) I have no problems connecting to all three satellites. The switch is built into the phase III dishes.

Well, against all odds, my 2 18inch round dishes are now working. Seems I had my elevation off by 6 degrees. I know get over 95 signal level on all 119 transponders. Only now, I only get 1 of the 8 or so local channels that I'm supposed to be getting...Oh well, I'm sure I'll get that figured out too.

And I am only running 2 18 inch dishes, not 3. I don't have the money for anything with HDTV printed on it.

RedLance

rstokas said:
I have the same problem. I can not get the 119. I only have two of the connections from the dish hooked up. I have the other two lines just hanging off the dish and taped up. Is this the problem? Why can I get 110 and 101 but not 119? Why would I need a multiswitch? I have the oval tripple LNB dish?

Which version of the elliptical multi-LNB dish are you using? There is one without switch and one with.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)