Trouble Call Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

larsh74

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 14, 2006
I have to run a trouble call tomorrow and have a couple of questions. The customer says that the dish got bumped and needs to be reaimed. According to the work order the dish is receiving signals from 101, 110 and 119. What type of dish is this customer most likely using? I have never aimed any D* multisat dishes and would appreciate any tips that can be offered. Thanks in advance.

Are you a certified tech?

That could have a:

PhaseII

PhaseIII

or an AT9 that was pre-installed for HD LIL when available but not yet in use in the user's DMA. Thus only the three satellites listed would be active for them as opposed to all 5.

I was certified about three years ago but I am not sure if that has expired. I have been installing satellites on a part time basis for ten years. The retailers I work for both sale Dish Network only so I have not really had a chance to experiment with D*. With Dish Net I usually aim the dish from the 119 sat and the other signals tend to fall into place. Are D* dishes similar to this?

Last edited:
Thanks for the help. This dish is installed at a major airport in this area and it would be nice to at least be able to pretend I know what I am talking about when I get out there. :)

If you have done a dish 1000 you will have no problem.

Now you said this is a commercial establishment correct. Some of them use single bigger dishes that go into a head-end system.

larsh74 said:
I was certified about three years ago but I am not sure if that has expired. I have been installing satellites on a part time basis for ten years. The retailers I work for both sale Dish Network only so I have not really had a chance to experiment with D*. With Dish Net I usually aim the dish from the 119 sat and the other signals tend to fall into place. Are D* dishes similar to this?
JUst pick a port and connect the meter...I owuld use the #1 port juts be safe..I do E* mostly but do D* on occasion...D* is easy......
Intersting thing is there probablt isn't anyhting wrong with the dish..The customer is thinking they should be getting more sats if they have a 5 lnb dish.....Who knows..when you get there. first do a transponder check and look at signal strengths.....Ask the customer if they are missing any of the channels thye subscribe to are missing.
I think you'll find that the system is working properly.....

If the dish got "bumped" be alert to possibly warped. I can remember in the "C" band days a customers wife bumped the dish with a lawn mower ( a tractor with towed behind mower).

Can anyone tell me where I can find the azimuth and elevation for the Phase II and Phase III dishes?

larsh74 said:
Can anyone tell me where I can find the azimuth and elevation for the Phase II and Phase III dishes?

And if you need if in advance of your install, for a site survey or practise, just post the service zip code and someone can post the coordinates here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)