trouble finding signal quality

Status
Please reply by conversation.
oceanplexian said:
Well, the LNB says on the sticker on it

"High Band Single LNBF High Frequency 11.7-12.75Ghz L.O. Frequency:10.75Ghz"

My dish is a Fortec Star 1m, and like I said before, I'm using a Pansat 3500.

Still no luck, when I got SBS 6 in view (even picking it up on my analog signal meter), although the "Level" under antenna setup was 84%, I have 0% quality.

I then proceed to do a blind scan, and it says 0 transponders found.

I'm stumped...:confused:

In the sat menues , look for LOF 1 & 2 and type in 10750 . If it also has a place that says sw , type in 0 . Untill you get this correct , you are not going to get very far .

Wyr

oceanplexian said:
UPDATE: thumbnail pic

Here's a pic of my setup. Perhaps the window is the problem? I've tried putting it outside, but I didn't see any difference.

Trying to set up a dish , looking through a window is like trying to view the whole world through a keyhole . :-(

Wyr

oceanplexian said:
well....still trouble.

I've tried lowering the angle, and realized it was a big mistake for me to have the dish too high. I've also learned about polarization, and tilted the lnb for each satellite I've tried aiming at. No luck. My chirping ultrasat 950-2400mhz seems to find the satellite just fine,and signal level is near 87% on the pansat installation screen (the highest I've seen yet)

Still though, no quality. Perhaps I'm in the wrong screen or something, in antenna setup, I've not seen quality go up even 1% after days of aiming and selecting satellites.
Maybe I need to have some super accurate less than a degree aiming or something, because I can't get that quality meter up, no matter how dead on I believe I've got the satellite.

I have a feeling I must've gotten something fundamentally wrong, like having something on the wrong way, though everything is plugged in right, and I'm using nice gold plated connectors for everything.

I think my LNB is set up right as the default standard 10750. I even flashed my reciever to the newest firmware just recently, but that's not the problem, as downgrading it to the lower one produces the same results....

Well, if there is anything I can look at, or give information on, just ask...I have a feeling I'll need to pay a professional installer :mad: ...because I just don't get it....

Well, thanks for the help, I certainly learned a lot from this thread so far, and if you have any more advice it's greatly appreciated.

Blind scan , see what you get .

wyr

Last edited by a moderator:
oceanplexian said:
This is incredible!! It picked up a signal!! SBS 6!! It picked up some channels-
Sure, it's all encrypted, and I can't watch anything...and my signal quality is 30% but I'm excited...It means my stuff isn't faulty......

The transponder is 12296 H

I've adjusted azimuth and altitude, and 30% is as high as it'll get...now I have to work on eliminating obstructions, putting it lower below the window, and getting rid of that metal bug catching screen.......
Can't find it on lyngsat....but whatever....I'm on my way to FTA TV!

How do you know it's SBS 6?

PSB said:
Still indoors? Signal strength means nothing, not even worth mentioning or paying ANY attention to. Its only signal QUALITY that matters. If you are not getting quality it does not mean you are not on a satellite, maybe just a wrong setting. Thats why Blind Scan is a great help, move the dish a mm BLIND SCAN. Move it another mm Blind Scan. Sometimes its much faster that way!

Still think you should try outdoors or with the window open to start with.

I might respectfully add that the only thing signal strength means is when watching the signal strength change , when tweeking the dish . It is the change that is significant .

Be aware that it is possable to tweek on a dish that your equipment will not pick up anything on . Like a DTV sat . Do not be discouraged , just keep moving & tweeking .

Wyr

oceanplexian

oceanplexian, the channels you scanned in that are encrypted.

If they are a few, and they are saved in your receiver, can you list them here to get an idea of what sat you scanned.

I know you thought it was SBS 6, but you can go to any sat setting and blindscan and your channel list will populate eventhough you are on the wrong sat.

It happened to me, and I kept moving my dish around rescanning, it wasn't till I did a cross reference with Lyngsat that I figured out what I actually was aimed at, since my setup was motorized ,once I found my true south everything else just clicked.

Well, sorry for not replying on my status with the setup, but I got it working finally by lowering the base and cutting the pipe the dish was resting on + getting rid of the metal bug screen in the window. :D

So far, I get around 60 channels on what I think was echostar 3,

right now I don't know what it's looking at, but I found a different sat and I get CTV which is some pretty good news.

The transponder I'm connected to is at 12339mhz H, and I'm looking at a station titled CTVTB which is just regualr ctv news. On the same TP is a station called Fine Living. Is the lyngsat stuff out of date often? I cant find a lot of stuff that I see in the sky.

You mean invert? Upside down?

I use the signal quality meter to find the signal!

The transponder I'm connected to is at 12339mhz H, and I'm looking at a station titled CTVTB which is just regualr ctv news. On the same TP is a station called Fine Living. Is the lyngsat stuff out of date often? I cant find a lot of stuff that I see in the sky
you're on 82W, Nimiq2

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts