Trouble Getting Signal

Status
Please reply by conversation.

greenbill

Original poster
Apr 10, 2008
Hi everybody - I'm new here.... That aside, I recently had to move my dish receiver because of construction. By using the installation screen and the three signal meters (not sure of the correct terminology) I can get 100% signal on the third meter, but no matter how I turn or adjust the dish, I can't get the top two to read anything but 0. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your help!

What type of dish do you have? How many LNB's are on the end of the dish? Also, do you have a clear LOS in a +/-15 azimuth from where the receiver tells you to point the dish?

Assuming you have the 3 LNB dish, and not the HD dish try this, and have a clear LOS:

First of all, make sure your mast is perfectly plumb in all directions. <<<MOST IMPORTANT PART

Secondly, preset your dish's elevation and tilt based upon the receiver settings for your zip code.

Starting to the east of the bearing given, slowly swing the dish to the west until you peak your signal on the 101 sat. Very slightly, tilt the dish upwards and you should see an increase in signal strength. Tighten the dish down and fine tune it using the elevation adjustment. You can then peak the 119 using the tilt adjustments, but only small adjustments would be required.

Call 1-800-531-5000 and schedule a service call. That isn't a TV antenna you just point in the air and get a signal.

Thanks a bunch, iwc5893 - I have the 3 LNB dish and that's good advice, I'll do that.

Boba, I realize it isn't a tv antenna...I know full well what I'm working with, just not all the technicalities. I am trying to learn as you may have done at one time. But thank you for replying.

Just to add to what iwc5893 said, with a triple LNB a good trick is to cover the 119 and 110 LNBs with some foil (it helps to make sure you have the right sat, on the right lnb, to me, it appears from the OP it sounds like you might have been hitting the wrong sat(*) (or worst case (read: inlikely) scenario, you blew the LNBs, I assume you unplugged ALL STBs from the power before messing with the coax)), then get the 101 aimed, the other 2 should fall right into place, like iwc5893 said (as long as the tilt and all is right, and you remember to remove the foil ;)).

[*] BTW, were you getting guide data when you had that signal? Just so you know, the 101 contains the guide data, so if you follow what's been said, you can use that to check if you do have the directv 101 (as opposed to the 110 or 119, or even E*s sat), so, make sure you can at least get the guide data before removing the foil, if you get it, then you got the 101, no guide data, try again.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts