Trouble replacing 811 with 211.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

chc59

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 31, 2007
Dalton, Ohio
Got a new 211 to replace a working 811. (All owned units) Assumed that it would be a tit-for-tat install. Not. Have not yet switched over my account nor have I authorized the 211.

Antennas are aimed at 110,119, & 129. All lnb's are Legacy. Antenna setup is 110 & 119 lnbs to a SW21X. Sat 129 lnb & Output from SW121X to SW21, which then feeds the receiver.

Check switch test says that I am seeing all 3 sats OK. However, checking signal strength on the transponders shows that the 211 has no signal on many of the transponders. The 811 had great signal on the available transponders.

On the Check Switch screen have tried with Superdish option checked, Alternate option checked, and with neither option checked. Only difference seems to be the number of tests performed. I can view a few open signals on the sats.

Questions going thru my mind are can the 211 use legacy lnb's, will it work with SW21 switches, etc. A search thru the forum tells me that the legacy's and the SW21's should be ok. I should be able to get signal strength on all available transponders without activation, right? Any help would be appreciated.

Joe
Ohio

I made the same swap in Aug. with no problems, but that is with DP/DPP equipment. I also did the FW update as part of the installation as rcwilcox mentioned and of course the unit will receive no programming until it is authorized. Nothing else needed changing after that and the 211 is rock solid whereas I had intermittent problems with lost signal with the 811 in its latter days. Good luck with it.

has the software updated? If not nothing works right.
Interestingly enough, last night when I got tired of playing around with it, I turned it off. The unit then downloaded the latest update. The screen now shows a message that the unit needs activation, giving the needed data, and will not let me get back to the installation screens to check on the setup. Got pis*ed off and went to bed. Did not try to unplug/replug to see what happens.

My quandry:
With the 811, I only sub to the HD channels, as few as they are under the old package. I got the 211 so that I could get the new $29.95 HD only package. Once I switch over to the 211, and there is a problem with the new 211, I cannot get re-subbed back to the old HD package & the 811. So, I really need to know if the 211 is ok. If not, I will not make the switch, at least for now. To compound the issue, I have been reading some late posts here on the forum that the new HD package might only be available to new subscribers. But, there appears to be some confusion on that issue. So, if I activate and there is a problem, I am up the proverbial tributary with no means of propulsion. Might have to take my case to a higher court at DN to get back.

Joe

And...

Couldn't you add DHPP and the 211 and if the 211 fails to work, get a replacement under the DHPP? Got to be less $. After the dust settles and you have what you want working you can delete the 811 and DHPP if you want. Don't try to figure out the detail on your bill though, Dish accounting is not particularly straightforward.

unplug the receiver when you plug it back in it will start to the acquire signal screen. Hit menu botton and you can get back into the setup screen.

I would also just add the 211 on and do the channel upgrade. If the 211 does not work the 811 will still get the old channels it did before. If things work then you can just call and remove the 811.

Add it as an additional receiver. Duh. Just too simple for this old engineer's brain. Now why didn't I think of that. Thanks, folks.

Joe

Well, all is right with the world. Kinda,sorta. After an hour on the phone and some exasperated words, I got the 211 activated and subscribed to the new HD pack for 29.99 plus tax. no other fees. As suggested earlier, once the latest software was downloaded, the receiver acted normally. Got all available transponders.
Problem solved. Watching HD.

Joe

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)