Trouble setting eastern arc sat’s

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Labrat34266

Original poster
Oct 22, 2018
Summer 48467, Winter 34266
Just moved to my Florida location for the winter and I’m trying set the antenna for the eastern arc. I have the 2 LNB-Hybrid setup (Hopper 3) and have no problem with sat 61.5 but all I get for sat 72 is “conn”. Signal strength on 61.5 is 70 and I read in these forums about possibly adjusting the skew but I’ve not had any luck.
I’m using the eastern arc so I can pickup Tampa channels when in Florida and the Detroit channels when in Michigan for the summer. Both work on the eastern arc. Numerous power cycles and test switch have been performed.
TIA
Ken

Reactions: pattykay
Where did you get your aiming numbers?

For 13 years, I set the Skew to the settings and have never tweaked it.

What is your Switch Check saying for the satellite found.

Reactions: charlesrshell
You are not on the 61. Seeing a signal of 70 is all I need to know. Try using the 72 to point your dish and make sure your skew and elevation are correct along with the mast being perfectly plumb.

For Florida, Elevation is 55, Skew is 67. Azimuth is 156

Where did you get your aiming numbers?

For 13 years, I set the Skew to the settings and have never tweaked it.

What is your Switch Check saying for the satellite found.

I use the chart provided by Dish. I’m at zip code 342## and have the antenna set to 55,67,156. In the check switch readout sat 61.5 shows as locked with a signal strength of 70, the second node displays “conn”. I’m not getting all of my subscribed channels which is expected since I’m not getting sat 72.
Thank you for your response.

I use the chart provided by Dish. I’m at zip code 342## and have the antenna set to 55,67,156. In the check switch readout sat 61.5 shows as locked with a signal strength of 70, the second node displays “conn”. I’m not getting all of my subscribed channels which is expected since I’m not getting sat 72.

I agree with him that once you set the skew, you shouldn't have to tweak it to get a usable signal. It looks like you are pointed at the wrong sat, try moving the dish 11 degrees to the west.

Reactions: pattykay and HipKat
You are not on the 61. Seeing a signal of 70 is all I need to know. Try using the 72 to point your dish and make sure your skew and elevation are correct along with the mast being perfectly plumb.

For Florida, Elevation is 55, Skew is 67. Azimuth is 156

I will do that in the morning when I have some daylight. I’ll report back with the results.

Reactions: HipKat
The 61 would never give you a signal of 70. the best I ever saw was in the high 50's

Is it suggested to power cycle the Hopper3 receiver after every adjustment or is doing a check installation OK?
I’m retired and love the challenge of tuning the antenna knowing I only need to do this twice a year. Better still would be using a meter. Any suggestions on a meter for the hybrid setup?

Is it suggested to power cycle the Hopper3 receiver after every adjustment or is doing a check installation OK?
I’m retired and love the challenge of tuning the antenna knowing I only need to do this twice a year. Better still would be using a meter. Any suggestions on a meter for the hybrid setup?
You don't need to power cycle the receiver

He's in 34266, but those are close to the same

Ok, I saw the "342xx" he posted, so I just took a shot at filling it in with something I thought would be close. For 34266, the skew is even further off from the Dish chart. That ~5° would make a difference in hitting both sats with good signals.

Elevation: 56.7°
Azimuth (true): 160.7°
Azimuth (magn.): 166.4°
Dish Skew [?]: 72.8°

Update.
I pulled the antenna off the mast and changed it to the numbers from dishpointer.com.while the antenna was off the mast I corrected it to be level, it was off a small amount. I pointed the antenna to the general direction shown on the dishpointer.com web site. I rotated the antenna very slowly east and west until I received a tone indicating to me I was close. After running check installation I again rotated the antenna again to obtain the highest pitch tone. I went inside and again ran ‘check installation’ again and power cycled the Hopper3.
I’m sorry to say there has not been any improvement as I still only have sat 61 with a signal strength that varies from 58 to 70 depending on which transponder I choose.
I’m about ready to throw in the towel and call for a service tech to come out. Which brings up another question, any recommendations for a company/tech in the Arcadia, Florida area?

Your elevation is too high. 61.5 comes in lower and to the left of 72 if you're looking from behind the dish. If I had to guess the mast is probably plumb front to back but a little bit off side to side.

Just my $0.02.

As mentioned, it's pretty easy to pick up the wrong orbital location with the wrong lnb. Agree with dropping the elevation and moving the dish 11 degrees. You can confirm by covering the 72 lnb with aluminum foil.

Reactions: pattykay
Update. I decided to go the long route and start with the dish deliberately pointed further west then it should. I then went through the process of changing the azimuth ever so slightly towards the east and running check switch until I finally received a signal for the 61.5 sat and it had moved from node one to node two. At this point I fine tuned the signal until I got the highest pitch. Next I ran ‘check switch’ again and lo and behold I now had sat 72 on node one. I then fine tuned sat 72 for the highest pitch. I ran ‘check switch’ again and I can report success. Now I only need call dish to have the local channels changed.
I want to thank everyone for all of your help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)