Trouble setting up 75cm elliptical + DVR 530 for SC

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

pappy97

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
So the misses and I finally got our 75cm elliptical dish outside on the patio with the tripod and hooked it up to a DVR 530 and tried to find the satellite.

I had trouble finding the satellite (still don't have it), but I noticed KUSAT's instructions for installation don't seem to apply for the DVR 530.

All of their Options-6-4-whatever didn't work. I wasn't able to pull up a diagnostic screen.

I went to the satellite signal screen for the DVR 530 after changing the channel to the 299 and KUSAT has no matter what, the signal should read 20, even if you aren't even close to the satellite.

All I saw was 0, and above it a box for EMM Provider ID, and I'm not sure what that is.

KUSAT claims that if your receiver has not been exposed to Anik F1, you need to tune the box to channel 284 and then try to find the satellite or else it won't work. I didn't try this as I changed the channel to 299 so that could be one of my problems.

I am giving up until Saturday (My wife and I were trying to point the dish at night), during the day, and but any advice you can give would be great.

P.S. We are in the San Francisco Bay Area, CA

Thanks!!!!!!!!

Pappy,

I just installed the same system (75cm - DSR530) a few weeks back. The following thread was of tremendous help to me: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=77639&page=6, especially post # 53 and the attachments included in posts 55 and 57. I didn't use KuSat's skew, elevation and azimuth settings... I used the settings from the second link in post 57 instead to get me in the ball park, and tweaked from there. BTW, the menu numbers listed in the KuSat installation instruction web pages (post 55) are for a receiver other than than the 530 (505?). I believe something like 6-4-3-1 will get you to the satellite signal strength screen and 6-4-7-? ( I'm sorry, I'm away from home right now - I'll try to get it later) will get you to the diagnostic screen for ebno settings - I think it's called "System Settings". Print out all of the posts and attachments listed above (so you can refer to them while at the receiver or dish), read them thoroughly and you should be fine. Calling KuSat and picking their brains was a big help too.

Thanks for all this info!!! I am going to print out everything you said and use it!!!!

Update on my install and need some help

As you know, I am trying to install a 75cm elliptcal dish + DVR 530 in the SF Bay Area.

Well after lots of toil and trouble, and I finally got what I think is a decent signal while checking the satellite strength meter: 75-76. That is good enough, right?

BUT now I want to check the satellite strength for the other sat that has the HD stuff on it (of prime importance to me!), but the receiver won't let me change the channel to 260.

In the guide 260 isn't even there.

How do I check the signal strength for other sat with my set up then? Thanks!!!!!!!!

once the receiver sees the F1 signal for 5 minutes, channel 284 will disappear and 299 will be the one to finish tuning

The box will not see most of the F2 channels until the signal is sent from SC to the box for programming :)

once the receiver sees the F1 signal for 5 minutes, channel 284 will disappear and 299 will be the one to finish tuning

The box will not see most of the F2 channels until the signal is sent from SC to the box for programming :)

So are you saying at this point I should go ahead and activate my programming? I am going to use KUSAT as a broker.

Thanks!!

if you have a signal on 299 (light is green on front) and the Ebno # is good, then you're all set to go :)

Check on both, but one final question.

When I plugged everything thing, and I checked system status.

For signal strength tuner 1 shows all the good stuff (good signal, good Eb#),

but Tuner 2 is 0. (I now connected a line from the LNB to each tuner on the DVR 530).

This is normal, right? Thanks!!!

I don't think tuner 2 is activated until you finish getting connected to the programming and then you have to briefly record something before you will see numbers for the tuner. At least that was what I was told or remember when I activated mine over the phone with a broker.

Prior to doing the following procedure, you will only get a signal on tuner #1:

To activate tuner #2, record a minute of channel 299, hit STOP and go to options 5 to delete the recording. Confirm that you are getting a signal and ebno for both tuners by going to Options 6-4-7.

You'll be getting a detailed instructions on this procedure from KuSat shortly (after you activate).

Thanks everyone for your help!

I sent KUSAT the order to activate last night, but since today is Sunday I don't expect KUSAT to call Starchoice and activate today, most likely tomorrow (but I so wish it was today!).

Hopefully when they activate I'll get the HD channels clearly and not have to make any more dish adjustments. That thing was a pain!

Now I am just sitting back and hoping activation will happen any second now. Thanks again everyone!!!

Check on both, but one final question.

When I plugged everything thing, and I checked system status.

For signal strength tuner 1 shows all the good stuff (good signal, good Eb#),

but Tuner 2 is 0. (I now connected a line from the LNB to each tuner on the DVR 530).

This is normal, right? Thanks!!!

I hooked up mine a month ago. Once you have a second line to Tuner #2 and access Options 6, 4, 7, you should see signal strengths on both tuners, after 10-15 seconds. If Tuner 2 is still zero, it may be tuned to a channel that is not active.
Kusat will walk you through the procedure ahead of actual activation to be sure you are good to go.
If they work like TVM, they will have you on the line at the same time they activate with SC.
The 530 is a great box. Not as sophisticated as a TiVo, but good enough for me.
Enjoy!

Update: KUSAT was able to activate Monday and things are great!

The first thing I did when I saw it was check the sat strength for the other SC sat. I get in the mid-50's for that sat, which seems okay because HD comes in clear, just as good as my comcast HD.

I don't want to mess with my dish in the fear I'll lose the signal again, so I'm content.

Recording so far is working good too...

Anyways, thanks to everyone for their help and support, and of course I'll be here able to answer SC questions for those who need help, etc, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)