Trouble Shooting PowerVu D9850

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dwboston

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 15, 2007
We've been buying used PowerVu's (D9850) off Ebay for some of our re-broadcast partners and have had pretty good success, but have run into problem with one unit that powers up and does little more than shows a blank green screen (on the IRD itself, not the monitor). We know that our incoming C-band MPEG/2 signal is fine because we are able to get several other IRD's to work fine, but this one does not want to even initialize when it turns on. Even units that aren't even connected to a dish will at least run through the initialization process and provide some kind of menu prompts when they first are plugged in, but not this one. Is this unit a great candidate for the dumpster or does anyone know of a quick fix.

Not having any specific knowledge of the unit, I'd first check all the power supply voltages.
I'm sure folks on here who use 'em would have better advice.

We've been buying used PowerVu's (D9850) off Ebay for some of our re-broadcast partners and have had pretty good success, but have run into problem with one unit that powers up and does little more than shows a blank green screen (on the IRD itself, not the monitor). We know that our incoming C-band MPEG/2 signal is fine because we are able to get several other IRD's to work fine, but this one does not want to even initialize when it turns on. Even units that aren't even connected to a dish will at least run through the initialization process and provide some kind of menu prompts when they first are plugged in, but not this one. Is this unit a great candidate for the dumpster or does anyone know of a quick fix.

Why don't you return it to the Ebay seller for a refund, and buy a different one? If you've been buying multiples, and this is the first time you've gotten a bad one, that's pretty good odds. Return it, and play the odds for a new one.

Ebay Returns

Two reasons we can't return to Ebay seller; most of these units are sold in "as is" condition; and we've had this one for several months now. It seemed to work fine when we first unpacked it, but we were just about to program it for a channel on AMC-1 and couldn't get it to even initialize.

a quick check is to take the cover off and look for bulged caps usualy a bad capaacitor is what goes wrong with 90% of my stuff

Seems to have fixed itself. Left it unplugged for a week; plugged it back in and voila! it works fine. The only thing I changed was plugging directly into a wall outlet rather than the surge protector. Perhaps the voltage coming out of the surge protector is off.

Do you half to subscribe to powervu channels like DG2? If so where? FTA is a new to me so im trying to learn as much as possible.

you cant subscribe to PowerVu channels. Those are for cable companies and you have to prove you are a cable company or sat company

you cant subscribe to PowerVu channels. Those are for cable companies and you have to prove you are a cable company or sat company

Thanks Iceberg. I just read a post you started on powervu, got some good information but ill just stick with finding another fta receiver. I didnt want to bring up the post again, just wondering if you ever got the other receiver?

Wow thats not good...The only problems ive gotton on ebay so far is getting the sellers to leave me feedback. Hopefully I can snag another fta receiver for $15, im thinking I just got lucky on my first one. Ive seen the powervu recievers go real cheap, but I just dont want to get technical about programing it. I like things simple!

when I spoke to the guy last week he was waiting on getting it back. He sent it to the wrong person. He told me he'd follow up in 5 days which is today

Unlike some ebayers this guy wants to make it right

Ive seen the powervu recievers go real cheap, but I just dont want to get technical about programing it. I like things simple!

couple thoughts
1. you need a remote...a universal might work
2. they aint easy to program and you have to program in ALL the info. Most boxes its frequency, polarity, symbol rate...this you need those + a few more things

honestly the only thing I like about it is it can hold the 7/8 FEC stuff really good whereas other boxes pixelate

I could probably figure everything out fine. I just do so many complex things thought my day I dont want have to get this technical about watching tv.

Well, you don't really have to prove anything. Most of the time you just have to abide by the agreement you sign and be willing to pay the price. Affiliate subscription costs are usually really high, calculated by the amount of "subscribers" on your cable network and the rate per subscriber. There is usually a fixed rate per subscriber and a minimum subscriber amount. For example, the Weather Channel's minimum subscriber count is 100. There are some people who have paid this crazy price for a commercial subscription, like me. But, I enjoy what I do, and I know how to handle my money. I love getting commercial feeds. I usually subscribe to only the channels I want.

Does Anyone have a D9850 Manual they might want to share ? Thanks

I have several if you still need it.

One should note that if you are going to try and subscribe to programming you need to make sure that the ID# is not locked to a programmer. Get the unit ID before buying it and contact the programer to make sure they can turn it on.

Some of these IRDs were provided by a programmer and are listed in the SA database as being owned by them so other programmers can not athorize them. they can only be used for FTA. Sometimes they have the programmer name printed on the front but sometimes they dont.

http://www.scientificatlanta.com/customers/source/7002752.pdf Specs

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)