Trouble with a complicated install

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bruckster

Original poster
Dec 27, 2008
I am brand new to satellie TV and I am having trouble installing my DirecTV Slimline5 dish with HR-20 receiver.

I live in an apartment complex with stringent rules about dish placement. I don't have a completely clear view of the southern sky, but from what I can tell with my compass, I think the dish should be able to see from 99 degrees through 119 degrees. The edge of my building might just cut off the 119 satelite, but I seem to be getting signals from it.

I live in 30345 - azim 212, elev 47, tilt 67, and in the setup I chose Slimline-5 as my Dish Type and SWM as my Switch Type (am I right?).

I have probably spent an hour pointed at satellite 101 transceiver 1 dithering the azimuth and elevation settings, but I can never get a very strong signal:
56 71 49 56 51 69 47 69
52 71 47 37 55 72 49 71
52 76 50 45 56 72 53 69
54 79 51 55 56 72 51 74

I also dithered the tilt on satellite 119 and this is the best i can get
72 53 69
53 79 50 59 55 72 51 75

Satelite 110:
71 73 39

What's worse, I don't seem to get any signal from 99(c) or 99(s) (what's the difference, anyway?) or on 103(s) or s03(c).

I don't understand why I am failing to get signals from 99 and 103, because as I mentioned, my building is very close to cutting off 119, but 99 and 103 should actually be very clear

My cable run is probably 15 feet and I have checked all of my coax connections. There is a lamp post that is sort of in the line of sight of the dish but it's not dead center and it's about 25 feet away. I got my dish on craigslist, so I don't know for sure if it is any good. Does it sound like possible bad LNBs?

Could a lamp post block out two satellites? What am I doing wrong? What should I do next?

First of all, you need to determine exactly what type of dish you got, and do you actually have a SWM installed because the SWM switch won't work with a standard 5LNB assembly.

Looking at your signal strengths, you appear to have an issue with your odd transponders. Please describe your exact setup, including dish, switch/groundblock, how many cables you ran, and how many you have connected to your receiver, and if you have the BBC's installed.

First of all, you need to determine exactly what type of dish you got, and do you actually have a SWM installed because the SWM switch won't work with a standard 5LNB assembly.

Looking at your signal strengths, you appear to have an issue with your odd transponders. Please describe your exact setup, including dish, switch/groundblock, how many cables you ran, and how many you have connected to your receiver, and if you have the BBC's installed.

I had to google SWM, but it looks like that is an external multiswitch? if that's what they mean by SWM, then that is NOT what I have. I ran the setup again with "multiswitch" selected, and I still do not get any signals from either of the 99 satellites.

101 looks about the same as previously posted.

Now I can barely see some (mostly odd) transponders on 103(s):
0 0 33 0 19 0
28 34
0 0 0 36 0 0 29 0

and I can see the odd and some even transponders on 103(c):
15 0 14 0 15 0 13 11
18 14 13 13 17 13

I do not get any signals from 110
I do not get any signals from 119

As for my setup, my dish is a Slimline-5. I need to get a ground block and so I do not have one installed as of now. I have 2 cables running from the switch through BBCs to my HR-20 into "Satellite 1 (FTM)" and "Satellite 2". I also have an HD antenna that is plugged into the "Off-air" input.

Do I need to find a way to ground my system until I get a ground block? My understanding is that the ground was for protection from lightning strikes, etc., but can it affect my signal integrity?

I had to google SWM, but it looks like that is an external multiswitch? if that's what they mean by SWM, then that is NOT what I have. I ran the setup again with "multiswitch" selected, and I still do not get any signals from either of the 99 satellites.

101 looks about the same as previously posted.

Now I can barely see some (mostly odd) transponders on 103(s):
0 0 33 0 19 0
28 34
0 0 0 36 0 0 29 0

and I can see the odd and some even transponders on 103(c):
15 0 14 0 15 0 13 11
18 14 13 13 17 13

I do not get any signals from 110
I do not get any signals from 119

As for my setup, my dish is a Slimline-5. I need to get a ground block and so I do not have one installed as of now. I have 2 cables running from the switch through BBCs to my HR-20 into "Satellite 1 (FTM)" and "Satellite 2". I also have an HD antenna that is plugged into the "Off-air" input.

Do I need to find a way to ground my system until I get a ground block? My understanding is that the ground was for protection from lightning strikes, etc., but can it affect my signal integrity?

Ground block will NOT effect your signal, but don't forget to install one and ground it properly.

Sounds like you do NOT have a SWM set up.
How many rec's are you using ?
The LNB head has a built in MS, you do not need an addl. MS till you get past 4 tuners.
Make sure youn have your BBC's installed.
Are you getting a picture at all ?
IF you cannot get your signal, look in the phone book and see if theres anyone local that can come out and point the dish for you.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)