Troubleshooting 103(b) Signal Issues

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

wavelengths

Original poster
Sep 16, 2007
I have a re-alignment appointment scheduled for tomorrow evening, but I figured I would ask here to see if anybody could answer - are there any clear-cut indicators of a failed B-Band converter as opposed to a dish misalignment?

Also, 480 and 481 come in fine with confirmation messages. The odds are a little bit weaker in the signal meters as well, if that makes a difference.

(no, I don't have a second receiver to test a second BBC with - that's too easy!)

Last edited:
All I get is searching for signal zeros across the board on 103b. Any help would be welcomed. Thanks.
I have the correct multi-switch and bbc hooked up btw.

Not sure if you are running an OTA as well, but I forgot to remove one of my diplexers on another HD tuner and I was getting the same message (771 I think). Took it off and bamm there it is....HD goodness. Guess the HD tuners don't like them much now. Good luck.

If I have a diplexer where would it be. I don't think I have one hooked up but where would I look. I disconnected the OTA .

If I have a diplexer where would it be. I don't think I have one hooked up but where would I look. I disconnected the OTA .

If it was like mine then it should be a small metal device about the size of a matchbox and it was right behind the Directv HD tuner on the feed line. Who put up the OTA? If it was operational at one point then I would assume that the diplexer is still there unless the OTA was installed with a direct dedicated line.

I hooked up the OTA to the hd box myself (it is an indoor OTA just hooked up to the back of the hd box...I disconnected that) I don't see a diplexer on the back of the hd box. I called D* and they were no help at all saying some people are not getting the channels just be patience they will be up soon. Thats bull if a lot of the people on this board have the channels why don't I. I get more help from you good people on the board then any butt head at D*.

Along these lines, I was having a problem with one of the tuners on my HR20. I was getting signals of 85-100 across the board on one tuner, and similar signals on the other for all satellites except 103b. On 103b one tuner had zero signal on several transponders and low signal on the others. I swapped the inputs to check the tuners, and the signal issue went to the other tuner. Tried swapping the B-Band converters and found that the problem was on one of the cables coming from the multiswitch. As another test, I took the B-band converter and moved it just downstream of the multiswitch (about 60 feet of cable run to the HR20), and that fixed it.

The only thing I can think of here is that I have a bad cable run (poor insulation that can't handle the frequencies upstream of the converter?). Can anyone confirm that this makes sense, or offer another possibility?

Thanks.

Hello fellow HD addicts. I registered just so I could respond to this thread. I recently had a similar issue with one of the tuners on my HR20. The even signals came through with levels well above 80, while the odd signals were completely flat. It turned out to be a cable with a bad connector. Once the installer replaced the cable it started working again. He also told me that I needed a new multiswitch, in addition to the B-Band Converter modules, in order to receive the new HD channels. I've also heard that most diplexers are incompatible with the new HD channels and receivers. I hope this helps, and good luck!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)