troubleshooting PQ problems

ratam

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 11, 2004
San Francisco
There are many threads comparing PQ of Voom vs other HD providers. Luckily, my PQ seems OK at the moment but I was interested in how to make fair comparisons and to troubleshoote HD systems. Lets say that an HDTV is connected to Voom, D*, E*, and a 2nd OTA tuner. Any comparison may have to consider the sat dish aiming & cables, STB's, the DVI or component cables, and the TV's inputs and adjustments available for them. Any general suggestions on how to make fair comparisons and minimize these other possible sources of PQ problems?

It's unlikely your set has two DVIs, but it probably has 2 components inputs right? First make sure the user settings (contrast/brightness/etc) are the same. (Ideally, you should have had your set professionally calibrated or have done adjustments using a setup disc.) Then connect V* and E* or whatever you have using components. Watch the same channel (discoveryhd is a good one). Switch back and forth between the two inputs and see if there's any difference. Next, swap the outputs, i.e., take what you plug into the V* box and plug it into the E* box, and vice versa. Do the same comparison.

barth2k said:
It's unlikely your set has two DVIs, but it probably has 2 components inputs right? First make sure the user settings (contrast/brightness/etc) are the same. (Ideally, you should have had your set professionally calibrated or have done adjustments using a setup disc.) Then connect V* and E* or whatever you have using components. Watch the same channel (discoveryhd is a good one). Switch back and forth between the two inputs and see if there's any difference. Next, swap the outputs, i.e., take what you plug into the V* box and plug it into the E* box, and vice versa. Do the same comparison.

You have to recalibrate for each box. Each box requires, e.g., different color decoder settings.

Why doesn't VOOM take one channel for a hour each day and broadcast a HD test pattern so that we can adjust our sets? I believe one of the other services does this. Take HD News at 7AM or something.

I aleady have used the weather maps to adjust the picture size. It would also be handy if there was a test pattern built into the Motorola STB. I have a budget CRT so having a professional calibration seemed like overkill. Any good links on how to adjust (possibly ruin) my own set? :D

gutter said:
Why doesn't VOOM take one channel for a hour each day and broadcast a HD test pattern so that we can adjust our sets? I believe one of the other services does this. Take HD News at 7AM or something.
They do from time to time. Look for "Off Air" or "SIGN OFF" titles in the PG (on channels other than ESPN).

ratam said:
It would also be handy if there was a test pattern built into the Motorola STB.
Go to Installation Settings. Press 9-8-8. This will take you to a hidden Service menu. Option 2 is SD Audio & Video Test. Option 3 is HD Audio & Video test. Not much, but at least something. Make sure to turn your volume all the way down before you go there!

Ilya said:
They do from time to time. Look for "Off Air" or "SIGN OFF" titles in the PG (on channels other than ESPN).

Does this happen for HD channels specifically (I'm asking just to clarify 'cause you don't want to calibrate for the HD channels with an SD pattern, the black levels appear different on each signal type, which is why I watch SD through the S-Video input and use different settings).

If you're looking for tweaks/adjustment info on your set, you might want to hop on over to the Manufacturer's Spot on HomeTheaterSpot.com. Pay the $25 to become a "paid member" and that gets you access to the tweaks section, as well as the Ask a Calibrator section. They have info on almost every set out there...

Tell 'em Lobstah sent ya :)

Lob

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)