Trucker considering a move to E* but have ?'S

mp3trojan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 23, 2006
I posted this in another post but it's getting no action. Sorry for the double but I desperately need some info on this.

I am a driver currently using a D* phase 3 but contemplating switching to E* because mounting that mammoth 5LNB dish on anything but a tripod much less pointing that thing in a short amount of time is nearly impossible. Wanting to get the new HD channels. I was wondering 3 things seeing that I know nothing about E*.

1. How easy is it to point a dish 1000.2 in a mobile configuration such as mine. My mounting foot is mounted on the mirror with U-Bolts.

2. Is there CONUS HD DNS networks available on E* on the 3 sats that the dish will be looking at.

3. Is LIL HD on these 3 birds? I do know that the D/FW SD locals are CONUS but what about HD???

Thanks in advance

As far as how easy it is, that will depend on your dish pointing experience.

What is HD DNS networks?

Last I knew dallas sd locals are not CONUS, they are spotbeam, same would apply to HD as well.

Denver/Los Angelas/Atlanta/Salt Lake City HD locals are CONUS available on 129... subject to change at anytime... though for some reason something tells me anything out of Denver will always be CONUS.

What is HD DNS networks?

Last I knew dallas sd locals are not CONUS, they are spotbeam, same would apply to HD as well.

Denver and Salt Lake City HD locals are CONUS available on 129... subject to change at anytime... though for some reason something tells me anything out of Denver will always be CONUS.

I think he may mean Distant Network Signals.

You really ought to look into getting a KingDome if you own your truck. I assume you use the satellite as a way to wind down after putting in your 10 hours. Time spent aligning the dish everywhere you go is time lost from sleeping, which could mean more down time at some off ramp somewhere because you are tired. Figure what a half hour of your time is worth and then you can determine if its worth the $1200 to get a kingdome. If you are an O/O, a half hour is a lot of money out of your day to be fiddling with dishes.

What is HD DNS networks?

Denver/Los Angelas/Atlanta/Salt Lake City HD locals are CONUS available on 129... subject to change at anytime... though for some reason something tells me anything out of Denver will always be CONUS.

I can point the D* phase III in less than 5 minutes. MUCH practice. Plus I used to be a tech for Pigasus.

D* has CONUS NYC locals ABC,CBS,NBC, and FOX that are available to sub's where the network in your home market are O/O's. In my case, Dallas. All are available except ABC which is owned by BELO.

According to this: www dot dishchannelchart.digiblur.com/channel.pdf
The Dallas SD locals are CONUS.

Thanks for the replies.

P.S Thanks for the reply Vegas but I do not own my truck.

I just looked at dishchannelchart they are on spotbeam. s next to a transponder is spotbeam.

If you can point direct in 5 minutes then you should have no problem with 1000.2

I guess the N/A next to what I saw means not anymore. I can deal with the no Dallas locals, like I do now when I'm not in the Dallas beam on D*. But If there is no HD DNS that is a deal breaker. Unless I want to have both. Both dishes will fit the same foot. But the west coast HD DNS on D* went KA MPEG-4 earlier this year, and I expect the east coast will go soon as will all KU HD.

Dang people, why all the acronyms for stuff, I get totally lost. DNS(explained in the thread, thanks), KU, D* phase III, O/O, KA. Is there a legend somewhere explaining these or is this site way too geeked out for me? I'm pretty geek on tech sh*t myself but am missing things here. Sorry.:confused:

Nick

You must not visit AVS much.

D*= DirecTV
E*= Dish
O/O= Stations owned by the network
Phase III= The one piece 3 LNB with 4 IRD outputs
And Ok IRD= Integrated receiver/decoder. or your STB.
Also STB=Set top box

If you live in LA/Salt Lake/Denver/Atlanta you'll have SD/HD Local's to take on the road with you... kinda like my CDL and maybe yours, my mailing address is different from where I live on my license.

That or maybe you just like watching KDFW in the morning for Megan Henderson. :)

Use caution is you buy a "dome" or VUCube

Many are not upgradeable to Direct's new sats.
Most will get HD from DISH but many are limited to locking on only 2 sat's. I almost bought the VUCube till I found out it would not work with Direct's HD. The VUCube is a less expensive option offered to truckers. It is semi automatic.

Many are not upgradeable to Direct's new sats.
Most will get HD from DISH but many are limited to locking on only 2 sat's. I almost bought the VUCube till I found out it would not work with Direct's HD. The VUCube is a less expensive option offered to truckers. It is semi automatic.

I looked into it and many drivers have them. But too much trouble when and if you have to change trucks.

You must not visit AVS much.

D*= DirecTV
E*= Dish
O/O= Stations owned by the network
Phase III= The one piece 3 LNB with 4 IRD outputs
And Ok IRD= Integrated receiver/decoder. or your STB.
Also STB=Set top box

AVS, nope. Thank you for the explanation, sir. I might check out AVS.

Nick

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts