Trying out DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

astrotrf

Original poster
Dec 27, 2004
I'm a long-time E* subscriber, *this close* to switching. So I decided to check out DirecTV - bought a system for my observatory in Middle of Nowhere, New Mexico, way down in the SW corner of the state. I got it from Best Buy, and I was careful to ask their "DirecTV expert" beforehand exactly what I could get for programming and his assurance that I could return the system without hassle if DirecTV didn't come through. So I feel like I am on safe ground, morally speaking.

I installed the nice triple-LNB dish and got everything up and running. Then I called DirecTV to activate and purchase programming. That all went well, except for broadcast network TV, of course, which is why I was careful to prime the Best Buy person in the first place.

As you probably guessed by now, DirecTV cannot give me the east/west coast network feeds. They're only too happy to sell me my "local" stations, though. The hitch is that Albuquerque is 400 miles away from here! Tucson is far closer, at 175 miles, but of course that's not available. But I don't care about either of 'em; I really wanted the coastal feeds.

Does anyone know who determines what my "locals" are, and how they make such a determination? Look at Montana; practically the entire state is outside the "locals" area; just a small box on the eastern border is in. But Albuquerque covers nearly *all* of New Mexico. What gives?

This stuff may go back to Best Buy if I can't get "Enterprise" without paying for useless Albuquerque locals ...

Am I just plain SOL here without moving to Montana?

Terry

Did you go to the D* site and see if you qualify for the feeds,sometime the CSR's don't know what they are talking about.At 400 miles away it seems that you should be allowed those feeds,not a lot of chance getting them OTA,just went to the site and I can't seem to find the link that tells if you qualify for HD locals from D* maybe some will jump in and tell you where the link is

Yeah, the ZIP code does make the major determination. FCC rules always apply but as branchbouncer stated, 400mi is not a reasonable distance, not is 125mi for that matter. How do you like the other programming on D* vs. E*? The nice thing about installing yourself and purchasing from Best Buy or other retailer is that you are risk free. If in the end you cannot get what you want (need) from the service, just make sure you return the system before the 30 day mark.

you can "move" find a address in Tucson it can be any address once you find a address call directv tell them you want to change your service address but keep your billing address the same and there you go.

As you probably guessed by now, DirecTV cannot give me the east/west coast network feeds. They're only too happy to sell me my "local" stations, though. The hitch is that Albuquerque is 400 miles away from here! Tucson is far closer, at 175 miles, but of course that's not available. But I don't care about either of 'em; I really wanted the coastal feeds.
However, the network affiliate boards really want you to watch your in-market affiliates. More on this in a moment...
Does anyone know who determines what my "locals" are, and how they make such a determination? Look at Montana; practically the entire state is outside the "locals" area; just a small box on the eastern border is in. But Albuquerque covers nearly *all* of New Mexico. What gives?
The Albuquerque market indeed covers almost the entire state of New Mexico, save a few counties along the eastern and southern border with Texas. The laws governing retransmission of local television channels dictate that if your market's locals are available via satellite, that you cannot get distant network service (DNS). There are a couple of exceptions to the rule, but as a new subscriber to DirecTV, you don't qualify for the exceptions.
This stuff may go back to Best Buy if I can't get "Enterprise" without paying for useless Albuquerque locals ...
On DirecTV, there is no way to get "Enterprise" without paying for locals. DirecTV does not offer the superstations.

branchbouncer said:
Did you go to the D* site and see if you qualify for the feeds,sometime the CSR's don't know what they are talking about.At 400 miles away it seems that you should be allowed those feeds,not a lot of chance getting them OTA,just went to the site and I can't seem to find the link that tells if you qualify for HD locals from D* maybe some will jump in and tell you where the link is

someone jump in here on me if I am wrong, but I believe they took that link down. Like I said I could be wrong, but I believe there were laws passed about the local and national...I dont think they do that much anymore expect for special circumstance or if you are in a o&O market, so no link, sorry.

Another DirecTV surprise

OK, so I've now watched the channel 201 "DirecTV Basics" stuff. At least twice, it says that the nightly phone call won't cost you anything.

T'ain't so. There is no local number in my area; I had to pick one out of Deming. And the on-screen guide says "you are responsible for any tolls".

So the phone line's unplugged. At 15c a minute, that little phone call is gonna cost me over $50 per year.

Greg Bimson said:
However, the network affiliate boards really want you to watch your in-market affiliates. More on this in a moment...The Albuquerque market indeed covers almost the entire state of New Mexico, save a few counties along the eastern and southern border with Texas. The laws governing retransmission of local television channels dictate that if your market's locals are available via satellite, that you cannot get distant network service (DNS). There are a couple of exceptions to the rule, but as a new subscriber to DirecTV, you don't qualify for the exceptions.On DirecTV, there is no way to get "Enterprise" without paying for locals. DirecTV does not offer the superstations.
actually greg I believe only Lea county gets the Texas feeds... and there is a local upn feed if you belive local as in Albuqurque...I live in Eddy County which is adjacent to ...and for history buffs Eddy, Lea and Chaves Countys were all part of Lincoln County (of Billy the Kid Fame...) And astrotrf I feel your pain as I am far, far away from Albuqurque who barely acknowledges any part of NM south of them...Of course you know that ... we have more in common with El paso/ Lubbock or Midland-Odessa than them... I am lucky as I have Had D* distants before feds screwed the laws up and also have E* as well...Btw... Enterprise has been canceled RIP...

astrotrf said:
OK, so I've now watched the channel 201 "DirecTV Basics" stuff. At least twice, it says that the nightly phone call won't cost you anything.

T'ain't so. There is no local number in my area; I had to pick one out of Deming. And the on-screen guide says "you are responsible for any tolls".

So the phone line's unplugged. At 15c a minute, that little phone call is gonna cost me over $50 per year.

You must have a Tivo. The calls referred to on channel 201 are in regards to the calls that the regular receivers make, and they are to a 1800 number. Tivos make those calls too, but also call Tivo, but that requires a different, and in some cases, toll call. You can leave it unplugged and let it go until it starts nagging and then connect it and call once a month or even less.

I may be wrong but I thought that Tivo would supply an 800 number if they could verify that there was no local number. It might be worth a call to D* and ask. If they say no the bitch a bit and see if you can get a credit on your account since the Tivo call really isn't necessary for the operation of your unit.

Tivo no longer offers the 1800 number. I don't know if DirecTV has a special deal to have a 1800 number, but its worth a shot to call up and see what they can do.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts