Trying the slimline to fta dish mod, have tilt?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ludude

Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Indiana
I've seen a few guys on here modding a old slimline to use with fta. I have been doing some tinkering, bought a spitfire lnb and bracket and mounted it to the slimline arm. After removing the old lnb of course. It basically looks like the one now i seen on member "tripl3s3v3n s slimline success post back in 2010". I have tried to adjust the height and point the lnb as closely as the old one was.

So on to my reason for posting is the Tilt setting.

I live here in Indiana and went to www.sadoun.com to get my information on setting the dish.
slimline setting previous elevation was 40.6 97w here needs 41.8 Not too far off for trial.
Az 208.8 97w needs 203.1 again real close for tweak purposes.
Skew 72.3 97w needs 13.5 Whoa, way off.

Slimline dish calls it Tilt and it was pointed one tick past 70 so i'm assuming thats 72.3. The slimline only goes down to 40 so I am stumped as to where to set it. Where I would guess it would need to go looks way funky of a tilt.

Going to try out this setup using an old coolsat 6000 or 7100 I found but until I figure out the skew I'm kinda stuck.

If anyone could help out or point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

We call a skew "zero", if the dish is level with the horizon.
Some satellite dishes are marked with "90" when level.
Could this be the source of confusion?

90 - 13 = 77
is that closer? ;)

Welcome ludude I am danristheman from Angola Indiana it always nice to meet a fellow Hoosier. With my slimline setup I used a superdish lnb and matched up the focal point from the directv lnb. If you have any questions feel free to ask we are here to help.

Dan Rose

Well thanks to Anole's info I managed to get it to work. Only thing is it took me forever to get the dang thing to work cause I never had any quality whatsoever. I know it was pointing at a satellite cause I had a signal finder that was beeping at me like mad. After some doing some online reading it dawned on me to do a blind scan! Low and behold there were 200+ channels so it must have not seen the coolsat's default transponder on that sat. It in fact was pointed to 97w just as my phone app directed me.

Now the real question? Is there anything out there worth pointing to without having to move the thing constantly? Or even with moving? All I managed to find is a few English speaking stations, mostly religious, and a ton of channels with those foreign Iran or whoever speaking people. Why would anyone spend all that $ on a FTA receiver, 36" dish, LNB's, Motor, etc. for a dozen or so religious and a ton of foreign channels? It would have to cost a couple hundred bucks for all that. I got $0 in a Coolsat 6000 receiver, $0 on the slimline dish as it was left on the house when I canceled DTV. $0 on wire also left over. $5 on a Sat Finder at a flea mkt. $13 on a Spitfire LNB and Bracket. So looking at $18 in this setup so far. With OTA I get like 27 or so channels, I spent under $40 on an antenna and get 3 different PBS stations that have like 3-4 channels each, ABC, NBC, CBS, FOX, CW, etc all with 2-3 channels each. So besides one heck of a challenge hooking one up and setting the receiver up what would you watch?

congrats on cheap entry level system!

FTA is great if your parent or grandparent are from "the old country"
A lot of countries & languages are represented! ;)

FTA is great for people who live in the boonies with little or difficult OTA.
If you have 27 OTA, you're not really huttin'. :)
Here in Los Angeles, we have 90, but there are still things I want.

FTA sometimes gets you feeds for sporting events.

The FTA community here are a fun bunch, who help and educate each other.
I can't tell you what a blast I've had, and friends I've made. ;)

Take the time to read some threads.
Read the forum on a tablet or phone instead of a book, when you go to the bathroom.
(yes, seriously!)
You might find a satellite more to your liking.

From your location, I suppose you can get Hispasat at 30 west.
It's all in Spanish, from Cuba, you say?
Look for a thread listing what recent Hollywood movies they show...
...in English, with Spanish subtitles. ;)

I'm sure others will list their favorite material.
Pay attention. You've just arrived at the party. :)

In addition, 97W has channels that come and go. Just like on a pay satellite system, you'll probably end up not watching most of them. But you can get a few surprises. You can find some stations that actually rebroadcast syndicated programs from the U.S., and they might be based in the middle east. I've just created a rough guide to that satellite that you might find of interest. The link to that thread is here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/300178-Galaxy-19-(97W)-Channel-Guide

97W is Globecast, a satellite service for ethnic programming customers in North America. It has, by far, more in-the-clear channels than any other satellite up there, but the programming is not for everyone. There are many other satellites with a handful of channels, some of which you may find more to your liking.

On Ku-Band, the big draw for me is the feeds. These are channels that come and go (some are almost always live on the same satellite at the same time of day), and are uplinked by broadcasters for recording or live transmission. You won't find these channels on FTA channel lists, and it is not allowed to discuss specifics about them in open forum. The reason for this is that many broadcasters, when they find out that the feeds have become public knowledge, encrypt them. You can find many things, from live, uncensored news coverage to sports events, by blind scanning various satellites. There's plenty up there!

What part of indiana are you from I can get hispansat 30w from my apartment and sometimes they have good english tv shows on them. i have my dish lock on to galaxy 19 at 97w you get some weird stuff to watch on that one. for example Knight rider in Turkish, camel racing, some decent news from over seas my favorite is watching road racing from over seas you never get that on speed channel unless its NASCAR. I ma up to 12 satellites that i have found with my dish so its always fun to see whats on.

Dan Rose

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)