Trying to add 3rd receiver to SWM dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ssmaniac

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
Hi guys, I hope this is a simple question...

I'm a Dish Network Satguy who is not too familiar with the D* equipment. I tried to search the forums for an answer, but found most posts too technical for a newb like me.

I'm trying to help a friend add a 3rd receiver to his 5 lnb swm dish setup. (Sorry if the lingo isn't right). He has currently 2 lines coming off his dish, each separately servicing a receiver. He upgraded to a new HR20, and was able to swap that out with his old H10 (I believe that is the model). He now wants to split one of the two incoming lines---one to service the HR20, and the other the H10. Can we just use a high frequency (2-2150 mHz) 2 way splitter (such as DIRECTV SWS-2 Satellite 2-Way Wide Band (2 -2150 MHz) Splitter (SWS-2) | SWS-2 [DIRECTV] | 2-way Wide Band Satellite Splitter, One Port DC Path (Indoor/Outdoor) )Distribution Components Splitters AMPLIFIER SWS-2 SWS2 SWS 2 sts2 SWm5 SWM-5 SWM SWM8 SW If I understand correctly, a swm switch is not needed (since the dish already has the swm switch in it, right?) If the 2 way splitter is all that is needed, great. If he needs a separate power inserter, or other hardware, I would appreciate if you could let me know, including a link to where he could buy the same (such as solidsignal). Thanks in advance.

(PS Running a third line outside from the dish to the receiver, is not a feasible option....)

If he actually has a SWM the H10 is not SWM compatible so it will never work.

It is my understanding not all of the channels would work...would some of the channels still work?

Thanks Boba

Let's assume he wants to buy and add a 3rd box (H20 or newer)....same question applies...can we just add the High frequency splitter (such as the link posted in my OP)? Or is other power inserter, etc. necessary? Thanks guys

If he gets a new receiver that is SWM compatible (H21 or newer, I believe) and he's already got the PI, then yes, that splitter you linked is all he needs. Just be sure if the PI is upstream from that splitter, it needs to connect to the red output and the feed from the LNB needs to connect to the red input.

He does not have a SWM dish. A SWM has only one wire coming from it. The dish he has has four coax outputs, supporting up to four tuners. He'll need to run an additional line from the dish.

If he needs more than four outputs, he'll have to run four cables from the dish to the appropriate multiswitch (a regular one or a SWM one).

He does not have a SWM dish. A SWM has only one wire coming from it. The dish he has has four coax outputs, supporting up to four tuners. He'll need to run an additional line from the dish.

If he needs more than four outputs, he'll have to run four cables from the dish to the appropriate multiswitch (a regular one or a SWM one).

(PS Running a third line outside from the dish to the receiver, is not a feasible option....)
I guess running the other lines has just become feasible. :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts