Trying to add 5th Receiver

C1787GJ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 19, 2005
MASSACHUSETTS
Hello All, I'm wondering if anyone could offer some help. I am trying to add a 5th receiver to my house. I have a DishPro Quad LNB now. 4 wires come off the dish now, 2 go to a 322, and 2 go to a 522 receiver. Everything there works fine. I was under the impression I could use a DP34 switch and take 2 of the lines going into the 322 and put them into the DP34. Then run 2 lines out of the DP34 into the 322 leaving 2 empty spots on the DP34 to add a 5th and 6th receiver if i wanted. When I do this something funny happens, not funny ha ha either. ;) It tells me my switch is not operating properly or wires aren't connected. If I run a check switch on one of the tuners it only picks up one location, and on the other tuner it picks up 110 and 119 but has a third spot just marked with an X. Am I doing something wrong or do I need something else. Let me know I would greatly appreciate it.

Chris :)

I went through the same experience. The problem is the you need the right two lines from the quad, not just any two lines. The quad when connected to the DP34 does not transmit 119 and 110 down each feed. When connected to the switch it only transmits 119 down one feed and 110 down another. You must have two 110 feeds or two 119 feeds connected to the dp34. Its really hit and miss. When I had my 61.5 installed for Voom, things got much easier. The installer removed the quad, replaced it with a twin, and ran the twin's two lines to a dp34 which was connected to another dp34. Thus, eight outlets for three satellites.

I have no explanation for your one receiver you have picking up both 110 and 119, except perhaps the internal switch in the QUAD is confused by the configuration. The third "X" is normal if you don't have a second dish for the wings.

C1787GJ said:
When I do this something funny happens, not funny ha ha either. ;) It tells me my switch is not operating properly or wires aren't connected. If I run a check switch on one of the tuners it only picks up one location, and on the other tuner it picks up 110 and 119 but has a third spot just marked with an X. Am I doing something wrong or do I need something else. Let me know I would greatly appreciate it.

You're trying to add a 3rd receiver for a 5th TV. You didn't say what receiver you were adding. Personally, if it is a single tuner, I would run the 522 and 322 off the DP34 and the single tuner off the DP Quad. It will make you wiring easier to troubleshoot.

When using a DP34 with a DP Quad, the 3rd location will sat N.C. and have an X since it is Not Connected. As for your problem with the setup, you may need to unhook EVERYTHING from power to reset the switch. Connect the receiver to the DP34/DPQuad FIRST and run the check switch. Some people think you have to connect the DP Quad to either ports 1/2 or 3/4, but this is not the case. The DP34 LOCKS the lines from the DP Quad at 119 abd 110. Doesn't matter which lines you use. E* says that any dual tuner receiver should use either ports 1/2 or 3/4 on either a DP Quad or a DP34. Also, try using a diffeernt set of ports on the Quad/DP34. And ALWAYS check your connections.

"Some people think you have to connect the DP Quad to either ports 1/2 or 3/4, but this is not the case"

I'm not an installer so I don't know if that statement is true. I'm speaking from my experience and from what E* suggests.

According to this document that statement is not correct but like I said I've never tried it. The document clearly states that ports 1 and 3 will have 119 and ports 2 and 4 will have 110.

Attachments

• DishPro_Quad_Examples.pdf
    113.9 KB · Views: 270
RandallA is correct.

The issue arises because the DP34 doesn't always initialize correctly.

It's much safer (more reliable) to hook an odd numbered (119) port of the Quad to Port 1 of the DP34, and an even numbered (110) Quad port to DP34 Port 2. For ease of wiring - especially when using dual-RG6, and for future troubleshooting, I'll use 1/2 or 3/4.

I never seem to have a problem with it, so whatever you wanna do. I do gennerally try to hook things up to ease troubleshooting, but not always depending on what the situation is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)