AZBOX Trying To Connect AZBox Premium + To Verizon FiOS Router

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

MarkVA

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
Northern Virginia, USA
Folks -- I have a specific question along the lines of internet connectivity. Now that I have finally installed the 9.5402 firmware, I'm interested in using the YouTube capability as well as trying to play streaming radio broadcasts through my connected home theater.

I have the Verizon FiOS bundle (internet, telephone, and television) with a Actiontec wireless router. Since I first bought and installed the Premium Plus over 18 months ago, I've had no problem connecting the two through the WiFi, so I know I'm getting a signal. All of the settings have filled in automatically with a dynamic WiFi address clicked. FYI, laptops and smartphones work fine throughout the house. I have always done firmware updates via USB.

But, I still can't pull up a YouTube video and can only connect to a website very slowly. When I select the browser, the AzBox Canada site eventually comes up about 50% of the time. When I type in a search name in the YouTube setting, I get videos in the screen-captures, but, none of them will play.

I saw this post in another thread which has given me some clues: http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads...remium-Plus-Help-Needed?p=2947722#post2947722

You should never use 192.168.1.1 (i.e. don't use your routers LAN address) for your DNS server setting on the Azbox. That address worked on my Azbox but the network ran extremely slow. Anyway, you should use the DNS servers that are provided by your ISP - these can be manually entered if you're setting up a static address for your Azbox - be sure to setup the gateway address to point to the routers LAN IP address (usually 192.168.1.1). If your local network DHCP server (which is probably running on your router) was setup properly you should have got your DNS fields filled in correctly with your ISP's DNS server addresses. Don't get your ISPs DHCP server confused with the routers DHCP server. Your ISPs DHCP server provides the WAN address for your router while the routers DHCP server provides addressing for devices on your LAN. And you should avoid using Googles DNS service - your ISPs DNS servers will give better performance.

It seems as if I may have the same problems, so I will ask some FiOS-specific questions:

1. Should I set the system to a static versus dynamic address? If so, which one should I use and how can I find it? (I can log into my modem, so if it's behind the modem password somewhere, I can get to it.)

2. Is there something else I can do to troubleshoot the connection?

FYI, the computer is in the basement and the home theater is on the first floor, so running a cable isn't possible without a lot of collateral damage. Hard-wired would be my first choice.

If you guys would like to see my particular settings, I can post those when I get home tonight.

Thanks, as always.

I am assuming that your AZBox has some type of wireless network device installed.

1. Should I set the system to a static versus dynamic address?
I prefer static IP address. When the IP is static, you can communicate both directions without having to find the AZBox's IP first - AZBox to Internet & PC to AZBox via FTP
Use you PC for guidance - See what you PC's IP address is, then enter a IP into the AZBox that is almost the same......
example: PC ip address = 192.168.1.35, in AZBox enter 192.168.1.50. If you know how to "ping" an address from PC, then ping the number you wish to use in the AZBox prior to entering in AZBox. If it "fails" the ping, then it's safe to use.

As for Youtube, I don't think it's actually working, but I don't have that latest Firmware loaded.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)