Trying to connect two TV's to TV2

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

satpunk72

Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Pluto
Any help at all would be most appreciated...

Here is my setup:

1. 625 Dual Dish DVR Receiver (TV1 and TV2 output).
2. A 301 Dish Receiver (No DVR).
3. A TV on the upstairs floor next to the Dual Dish DVR Receiver connected as TV1.
4. A TV downstairs connecting through coax to TV2.
5. A TV on the upstairs next to, and connected to, the 301 Dish Receiver.

My objective is to connect the TV connected to the 301 Dish Receiver to TV2, I would only do this, when I wanted to playback recorded shows on the DVR, or perhaps when that TV was not in use.

I have tried tunning the TV connected to the 301 Receiver to TV2, by disconnecting the coax cable feeding the Receiver, and plugging it directly into the TV, and changing the channel to 73. This had no success.

But I read some posts that mentioned something about splitting one of the cables... I'm not sure which cables to split and what they would plug into. There is also the possibility that the TV connected to the 301 Dish Receiver is not on the same circuit, perhaps the fact that it has it's own receiver can help determine whether or not it is?

Thanks so much.

Last edited:
On the back of the Dual Tunner receiver their is a connection labled TV 21-69 out....That is the connection that should be run to this additional TV you wish to hookup...You can safley put a splitter after that connection...but MAKE SURE to put the splitter right after the output and not after a diplexer.

… I have tried tunning the TV connected to the old Receiver to TV2, by disconnecting the coax cable feeding the Receiver, and plugging it directly into the TV, and changing the channel to 73. This had no success. …
Old TV’s could tune to channel 73, but newer ones don’t go above 69. Have you tried using a lower channel number?

Any help at all would be most appreciated...

Here is my setup:

1. Dual Dish DVR Receiver (TV1 and TV2 output).
2. An old Dish Receiver (No DVR).
3. A TV on the upstairs floor next to the Dual Dish DVR Receiver connected as TV1.
4. A TV downstairs connecting through coax to TV2.
5. A TV on the upstairs next to, and connected to, the old Dish Receiver.

My objective is to connect the TV connected to the old Dish Receiver to TV2, I would only do this, when I wanted to playback recorded shows on the DVR, or perhaps when that TV was not in use.

I have tried tunning the TV connected to the old Receiver to TV2, by disconnecting the coax cable feeding the Receiver, and plugging it directly into the TV, and changing the channel to 73. This had no success.

But I read some posts that mentioned something about splitting one of the cables... I'm not sure which cables to split and what they would plug into. There is also the possibility that the TV connected to the old Dish Receiver is not on the same circuit, perhaps the fact that it has it's own receiver can help determine whether or not it is?

Thanks so much.

sgalovan,

I think I might be able to help. First, I need to know some more information. Specifically, what type of receivers do you have (625, 722, 501, etc.)???

As for connecting them, let me explain how we have it setup at our house, and if you have questions, then you can reply.

We have a 722 and a 625. Both are 2 tuner DVRs. The 722 has a coax labeled "Home Distribution." Once the modulation is set, both tuners feed out from this coax port. On the 625, there is a tuner 1 output and a Tuner 2 Output. With the 625, we take a splitter (like you can buy at Wal-mart or anywhere else) and a wire coming from Tuner 1 and one from Tuner 2 into the splitter (this will combine the signals). Then we run the 625 signals (from that splitter) to another splitter and on the second side, we put the coax from the 722 (this gives all 4 tuners output onto one cable).

Next, we run the output into a splitter to give us the signal on the number of TVs we have (we have it split so 5 TVs can see the signals).

In essence, we are using 3 different splitters (2 -one input to two output splitters, and 1-one input to 5 outputs).

As for Modulation, we have it setup so that the tuners are on the following channels:
625 Tuner 1 = Channel 4
625 Tuner 2 = Channel 85 (Cable)
722 Tuner 1 = Channel 75 (Cable)
722 Tuner 2 = Channel 73 (Cable)

We had to use cable as one of the TVs will not pick up Cable and Antenna signals at the same time and the Tuner 1 for the 625 will not let us change the type of output. One thing to remember is that if you are using OTA, you will want to modulate the channels to at least 1 channel away from any of you OTA channels (for instance, if you get channel 3 OTA, you would not want to use channel 4).

To set the modulator, you will need to go to Menu, then press 6, Then press 1, then Press 5. This will allow you to change what channel the Tuner is output on.

This setup will allow you to keep it hooked up and only change the channel on the TV to see the other Tuners. Hope that helps,
Geoff

The receivers I'm using are a 301 and a 625. Also, I can't change the modulation to output TV2 to a channel lower than 73. Although, the TV I'm trying to connect to TV2 with goes all the way up to 125.

I'm still confused.... Note that the TV connected to the 301 receiver, and the TV connected to TV2 downstairs are in different rooms in my house, and are not close enough to the 625 receiver to just run a cable to it.

The TV connected to TV2 downstairs, connects through the coax jack in the wall... That's how I want the TV connected to the 301 receiver to connect to TV2, that's why I had some question as to whether or not the TV's were on the same circuit.

look behind the 625... is there a Diplexer behind it in the line? (probably after the Separator)
If so, where is the other Diplexer? Outside? Basement? Attic?

If you can figure this out for us, i'll draw you a schematic on how this whole thing should be wired to get what you are wanting

There is a Diplexer behind it like you mentioned, and it comes after the separator also... it's this one. I also found the exact same Diplexer downstairs in my basement.

Alright, once I found the second Diplexer in my basement, things started to become a bit more obvious :rolleyes:... I've successfully split the TV2 signal to the two desired TV's.

But now comes the next issue... How can I receive both the signal for the 301 Dish Receiver, and the signal for TV2. Is this doable? Would it require a separator?

Thanks again.

Alright, once I found the second Diplexer in my basement, things started to become a bit more obvious :rolleyes:... I've successfully split the TV2 signal to the two desired TV's.

But now comes the next issue... How can I receive both the signal for the 301 Dish Receiver, and the signal for TV2. Is this doable? Would it require a separator?

Thanks again.

you need 2 more diplexers. The diplexer is used to combine the satellite signal, and the regular video signal into the one line, and then seperate them back apart at the reciever

so in the basement, at your splitter, you will need to put another diplexer there to combine the signals, then a second diplexer at the receiver to split them back apart

I have had success combining signals by just turning a splitter around and combining signals. When I was pre-HD I had both TV1 and TV2 on the same cable. I combined the 2 coax lines and when i tuned a tv to channel 4 i got tv1 and when i tuned to channel 62 i got tv2.. as long as you set different channels coming out of the tv2 on the 625 and the output of the 301 you should just be able to combine the signals and tune your tv to the corresponding channel to get the 301 or tv2 from the 625.

you need 2 more diplexers. The diplexer is used to combine the satellite signal, and the regular video signal into the one line, and then seperate them back apart at the reciever

so in the basement, at your splitter, you will need to put another diplexer there to combine the signals, then a second diplexer at the receiver to split them back apart

THis is the way you need to do what you want. Once you split the signal back out where the tv is, satellite will go into the 301's input. The TV out from the diplexor will go into the ant/cable connection on the back of the 301. THen all you have to do is turn off the receiver and change the channel on your tv.

One last question here... With this all setup, I'll be going through 4 Diplexers and a Splitter... Which would result in a loss of about 15db right? Will I need to amp my signal at all?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)