Trying to figure out what I need, but Dish support is no help!

jasonmhorning

Original poster
Apr 11, 2012
Central PA
So I have been a Dish customer since 2007, and for the last 2-3 years I have had the "welcome pack" programming, which is all that I want. One tv, sd, and simple - until now. I just built a new house, and want to have two tv's - flat screens hanging on the wall nice and clean! I have not gotten around to finishing the basement yet, so I am currently still at one. I have been running the composite cables from the Dish receiver through an upscaler into my surround sound receiver so I could have one hdmi cable going through the wall to my tv. It is my understanding that if I had an HD receiver from Dish, such as the Vip 211k, that I would be able to do the same thing (have only one hdmi cable in the wall) without the upscaler, and with the added benefit of actually getting the local channels (that are broadcast in HD) in HD! Trying to talk to Dish is like running in circles, and the occasional brick wall. They confirmed that I would receive locals in HD without upgrading my programming, but were adamant that I could not actually upgrade the receiver without upgrading my programming... and went on about needing upgraded dish and wiring yadda yadda yadda. What do I need? Do I need a new dish also? what dish? What about adding the second receiver? Do I need two dishes? Do i just have a splitter in the line to go to the second receiver? I need some advice! How does this work?

jasonmhorning said:
So I have been a Dish customer since 2007, and for the last 2-3 years I have had the "welcome pack" programming, which is all that I want. One tv, sd, and simple - until now. I just built a new house, and want to have two tv's - flat screens hanging on the wall nice and clean! I have not gotten around to finishing the basement yet, so I am currently still at one. I have been running the composite cables from the Dish receiver through an upscaler into my surround sound receiver so I could have one hdmi cable going through the wall to my tv. It is my understanding that if I had an HD receiver from Dish, such as the Vip 211k, that I would be able to do the same thing (have only one hdmi cable in the wall) without the upscaler, and with the added benefit of actually getting the local channels (that are broadcast in HD) in HD! Trying to talk to Dish is like running in circles, and the occasional brick wall. They confirmed that I would receive locals in HD without upgrading my programming, but were adamant that I could not actually upgrade the receiver without upgrading my programming... and went on about needing upgraded dish and wiring yadda yadda yadda. What do I need? Do I need a new dish also? what dish? What about adding the second receiver? Do I need two dishes? Do i just have a splitter in the line to go to the second receiver? I need some advice! How does this work?

U will probably need a new dish if u r goin to HD. U will need separate lines from dish to each receiver. U will probably need to upgrade package to receive HD programming. Hope this helps.

3 Cables from the Dish to the potential location of the multi-switch or central wiring point. From the Central wiring point, run 1 cable to each TV.

If you want to future proof things, run 4 cables from the Dish to the central wiring point, and 2 coax cables to each TV. Run 2 Cat 5 cables, one for telephone and another for internet.

Couldn't you simply activate a purchased 211 without adding HD programming? HD programming via satellite would require a different dish to receive 3 sats.

From your report, I don't see that they were running you around at all. To upgrade you to a 211K (as opposed to you purchasing one), they will require you upgrade your programming package. Nothing shady there. Yes, for HD programming, you will need a new dish, but only one, and wired as Claude described. You might very well want to look into the new Hopper/Joey system.

Thanks! So I do understand that I cannot get HD programming without upgrading. I do not really care about the fact that I can't get HD programming. But being told that I can get the locals to come through in HD without upgrading is what I am trying to figure out. If I buy a 211k and plug it in will it work with the same old standard dish I have now? I don't want to buy the box for $120 and then have no picture at all because of some compatibility issue with the dish. And as far as the wiring goes, The dish has multiple outputs, even the standard dish, so I can run another line(I guess up to 4) from the dish?

Thanks! So I do understand that I cannot get HD programming without upgrading. I do not really care about the fact that I can't get HD programming. But being told that I can get the locals to come through in HD without upgrading is what I am trying to figure out. If I buy a 211k and plug it in will it work with the same old standard dish I have now? I don't want to buy the box for $120 and then have no picture at all because of some compatibility issue with the dish. And as far as the wiring goes, The dish has multiple outputs, even the standard dish, so I can run another line(I guess up to 4) from the dish?

The 211k will work with the dish that you have now. I'm guessing you have a Dish 500 looking at 119/110.

On your current receiver, press menu-6-1-3, and tell us what the Device says in field "H" so that we can get you more details. Also, please post your zip code so that we can let you know what dish/orbital you need installed to get HD locals.

You are correct, I see satellite 119 and 110.

Field H: DPP Twin

Zip: 17602

There is also a third satellite listed as X and it has a red box beneath it. The Status says warning, and when I look at the details it says "Switch Status: Connected to a DPP Twin with 3 inputs DPP Twin-1 119 Even, Odd 110 Even, Odd External LNB: No Connection"

The third slot has an X because you do not have a 3rd satelilte installed.

In order to get your locals in HD, you need to have the 61.5 satellite installed, so you would need an additonal, or a different dish (Eastern Arc dish if you want just one dish on the home).

The 211k can be connected to your 500 using just one cable from the LNB, straight to the "satellite in" on the receiver.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)