Trying to find a reasonable way to get Dish at home and on the road

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Gracie Allen

Original poster
Jan 3, 2017
Minneapolis
Every couple years I talk to Dish to see if we can switch from Directv. Currently, home is Genie and a couple receivers. RV is Winegard 1518, HR24 and AM-21 (the thing that takes OTA channels and gets 'em into the DVR. Its not HD, but it works, EXCEPT…
Directv, as far as I know, is still making noise about getting rid of SD and has stopped supporting the AM-21, so since we just went through the annual *&^%$# where they increase the monthly rate I figured it might be a reasonable time to talk to Dish. Again.

And much like Directv, I get different answers depending on who I talk to. And frequently the phone answerers say things like "I THINK that'll work" or "that MAY be possible", which does NOT fill me with confidence. SO, here's what I'd LIKE to do:

Home: 3 tvs, Hopper 3 and a couple joeys (wired? Wireless?).

RV is all over the place depending on who I talk to.
I have 1 TV. I would LIKE to RECORD at LEAST 4 or more channels (5 like the Genie does, or more, would be good) of ANY COMBINATION of satellite, local and OTA channels. And watch one channel presuming they're not all busy recording...

The Hopper at home HAS to remain at home and functional. It CANNOT go in the RV.

I want to have one account. If I have to have a separate account for the RV, Directv is still FAR cheaper than Dish. I suspect, like Directv, Dish is going to refuse to allow DNS channels, nor will they allow me to change the service address when on the road WITHOUT totally screwing up the home DVR. So I need to get OTA channels to the recorder.

The Winegard 1518 SAYS it can do Dish in HD. There are 2 outputs from the dome. I’ve been told it actually DOESN’T work for any of the current Dish equipment to enable me to record two concurrent HD satellite channels. I’d have to put a $1600 dish on the roof to get the same automatic capability I currently have, and would lose the flexibility of being able to move the satellite dish to a different location when the rooftop one is blocked. Which given where we frequently stay, is quite often.

So, I’m looking for a reasonable method of getting Dish on the road, and recording some combination of satellite channels, DNS service if I can get it, and if NOT, OTA channels when we have them, and/or local channels when we have them. In any combination up to the number of concurrent programs that can be recorded. So, 1 or more OTA channels AND 1 or more satellite channels, while watching an OTA or satellite channel – up to the maximum number of channels that can be handled.

I’ve gotten a variety of contradictory information…

So, exactly what CAN I do with a Wally and the 1518 in the RV? How many inputs will it accept, and how many channels will it record? And how does it handle OTA channels?

I’ve been told the VIP722K can record 2 channels (with hard drive), but it WON’T work with the 1518 and would need a $1600 dish. To record 4 concurrent channels I’d need TWO VIP722 units, each with a hard drive, and two of whatever it is that gets OTA channels into the thing. And some way to manage them and get the recorded shows from the two DVRs to the TV.

I was told by one of the "mobile experts" that in order to get the OTA channels into the DVR (not sure whether that meant a Wally or a 722) I'd need an OTA tuner, BUT that with this device any/ALL the OTA channels would be concurrently available to the <whatever dvr ends up in the RV>. I was then told by a DIFFERENT expert that the "ota tuner" would only make ONE channel available.

And was told by the “mobile expert” that a Wally is JUST a one-channel receiver. With an attached hard drive, it can record at MOST, one channel. And that there is NO way with Dish to have a combination of multiple satellite channels and/or multiple OTA channels recorded using one or more Wallys.

I’ve been told by Dish that I CANNOT have two Hoppers on the account. And again, if I were able to put a Hopper in the RV, it would require the $1600 dish. Or a cheaper one that's back to manually trying to find the satellites like we did 10 years ago. In other forums I keep getting responses like “I have 3 Hoppers on my house account and take one with me”. But I never get a response to “HOW DID YOU GET THREE HOPPERS ON YOUR ONE ACCOUNT?”

SO, given all that, and my inability to determine which is real and which is utter BS, how do I get a simple setup at home that works and a simple setup in the RV that’ll handle recording a reasonable number of channels of whatever is available (satellite, OTA, local, possibly DNS) - at LEAST as much as I’m currently able to do with the existing Directv setup, and preferably as good as I'm able to do with my current, very basic, home setup?

First I will admit I did not read everything in your post, I skimmed and read the summation at the end. So hope this helps.
If you have a Hopper on the account the only two non Joey receivers you can add or add to put in an RV is the Wally and 211. The Wally now has a two tuners that can be turned into a DVR with an external hard drive added to it. You buy the external hard drive, you pay a one time fee to DISH to make it a DVR and you have no ongoing DVR fee. (Though it does not change the Hopper DVR fee) From what I read that would be your best and nearly only choice. (211 being the other that is a one tuner receiver) You can add the two tuner Over the Air tuner also.

DISH will allow you put this in your RV keeping your Hopper in your house. They also will allow you to change your location to where your RV is to get those locals from the Satellite if needed, though it changes the locals for your entire account. That could mess up recordings at the home receiver.

Say goodnight Gracie.

Reactions: HipKat
To expand, I would purchase a Hopper 3 for your RV, which will give you the tuners you need. The CSR misinformed you on the OTA capability. The adapter is a dual tuner, which gives you 2 OTA channels you can record at the same time. Someone smarter than me will come on and tell you how too either make that Hopper work with your Wineguard or convince you to buy a portable Dish you can set up and swap to either Western or Eastern arc, depending on your location

I never get a response to “HOW DID YOU GET THREE HOPPERS ON YOUR ONE ACCOUNT?

Here you go. I had three Hopper 2's -- two of them leased from DISH, and one I purchased. BTW, this only works with Hopper 1s or Hopper 2s, not Hopper 3s . . .

311_dish_threetvs_three_hoppers_single_network_hdhdhd720dpi.jpg

Reactions: charlesrshell
Thanks for the replies.

It sounds like the Wally doesn’t provide any more functionality than the VERY basic capability I currently have, other than being HD. If I use a Wally – it has TWO satellite tuners. And can be a DVR (Hard drives aren’t a problem. I’ve got at least a half dozen 1 – 2 TB, 7200 rpm, HDDs that are too small for image storage. And external USB3 carriers).

Presuming the Wally has built-in, or can have an OTA tuner connected that will provide at LEAST two concurrent OTA channels, will I be able to MIX in any combination recording from satellite, local (if available), and/or OTA channels?

WILL it work with the Winegard 1518 to provide two satellite and/or local channels for concurrent HD recording? If NOT, what portable (which leaves the Trav’ler out), automatic tuning dome or dish is available that will?

HipKat – you’re saying I can/should PURCHASE a Hopper 3. Am I correct this would give me a SECOND Hopper 3 on the single account? If so, will Dish care, or cause problems, with me having TWO Hopper 3s on the account? Am I correct they’ll charge a $15/mo (or whatever it is) fee for use of each of the Hopper 3 at home AND the Hopper 3 in the RV?

BUT, same question as the Wally… I’ve been told the Hopper 3 will absolutely NOT work with the Winegard 1518, which claims to provide HD with Dish. What portable, automatic tuning dome or dish is available that will provide the necessary signals to the Hopper 3 in the RV?

I looked at the diagram but it looks WAY too convoluted for a simple setup for 1 TV in an RV. I’m sure it has lots of interesting capabilities, but I don’t think I need whatever it’s trying to tell me… But is there SOME Hopper I can get (is there still a Hopper 2?) that ISN’T a Hopper 3, that WILL record at LEAST 2 and preferably more concurrent channels, and preferably work with the 1518 and provide HD? Or is the 1518 obsolete and a boat anchor at this point for Dish?

HipKat – you’re saying I can/should PURCHASE a Hopper 3. Am I correct this would give me a SECOND Hopper 3 on the single account? If so, will Dish care, or cause problems, with me having TWO Hopper 3s on the account? Am I correct they’ll charge a $15/mo (or whatever it is) fee for use of each of the Hopper 3 at home AND the Hopper 3 in the RV?
Exactly. The only way Dish will allow 2 Hopper 3's on one account is if one is purchased. I think this is the best way to go based on what you're looking for and if you look at the bigger picture, you can a, use an EHD to move recordings from one Hopper to the other or B, set your house up for a Dual Hopper 3 Install and use both in the house when you're not on the road, but I'm getting ahead of myself. With the Hopper 3 in the RV and a OTA/Dual Tuner USB Adapter, you have 16 tuners +2 OTA tuners and letting dish "change" your address when you're parked should give you access to those local stations anyway

None of the Hopper series receivers will work with your 1518, and there are no other automatic domes that will either. Your only options are a roof mounted open face automatic dish like the Winegard Trav'ler or a manually aimed tripod mounted open face dish, currently the 1000.2 model, with an eastern and western arc LNBF for switching as needed.

To expand, I would purchase a Hopper 3 for your RV, which will give you the tuners you need. The CSR misinformed you on the OTA capability. The adapter is a dual tuner, which gives you 2 OTA channels you can record at the same time. Someone smarter than me will come on and tell you how too either make that Hopper work with your Wineguard or convince you to buy a portable Dish you can set up and swap to either Western or Eastern arc, depending on your location

Why?

211 with an external hard drive should be sufficient if used with a tailgater

Because he said he records up to 4 channels at a time

It’s an RV for crying out loud.

I get it wanting a hopper, but to be honest you need something fast and easy to setup.

Besides you technically can’t record while your Dish is not setup.

I would only take the DVR if you wanted to watch stuff previously recorded. That’s why the 211 makes more sense.

Actually a DVR for an RVer makes a lot of sense as it provides the ability of watching show asynchronously from when they are aired. That gives the RVer flexibility to do outside activities and still follow shows. And four tuners provides for recording broadcast show that have time conflicts.

I always appreciate when a non-RVer comments on what an RVer should do.

It’s an RV for crying out loud.

I get it wanting a hopper, but to be honest you need something fast and easy to setup.

Besides you technically can’t record while your Dish is not setup.

I would only take the DVR if you wanted to watch stuff previously recorded. That’s why the 211 makes more sense.
Why are you shooting the messenger?

OR- Try Plan C:

Stay where you have a good Internet connection. Use Dish Anywhere and watch what is on the home Hopper 3.

Or Plan D:

Buy and use a Dish Hopper GO.

Or a combination of C and D.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

We have a Hopper 2 installed in our motorhome and another one in our lakeside vacation cottage in Upstate NY. The Hopper in the motorhome gets lots of use recording multiple channels while we're set up in an RV park. DA is used for those programs we record on the cottage Hopper while underway or on the rare occasions when we run out of tuners on the motorhome Hopper. We sometimes move as often as daily, and setting up the dish at a new location usually takes about 15 minutes including setup and aiming. Occasionally on quick overnight stops we don't set up the dish at all, and instead just use DA on our Firestick connected to our unlimited data AT&T or Verizon hotspots. We very rarely find RV parks with WiFi that will support reliable streaming...

Last edited:
We have a Hopper 2 installed in our motorhome and another one in our lakeside vacation cottage in Upstate NY. The Hopper in the motorhome gets lots of use recording multiple channels while we're set up in an RV park.
OP wants to record 4 channels at a time. Hopper 2 only has 3 tuners.

OP wants to record 4 channels at a time. Hopper 2 only has 3 tuners.

4 or 5 tuners, depending on which OTA adapter is installed. And the same setup could be used with either a Hopper 2 or Hopper 3. I could upgrade our setup to Hopper 3's with just a receiver swap and a couple of DPH42's. And using DA with the remote Hopper effectively doubles the tuner count either way.

Again, the service address CANNOT be changed unless Dish can do it such that it DOES NOT adversely affect the Hopper at home… Since I’m periodically gone for 6 – 8 weeks while the spouse is at home, I CANNOT do anything to mess up the home system. So far, no one has indicated I can have Dish change the service address to get local channels in East Overshoe WITHOUT totally screwing up the recording at home.

Thus, the batwing, and the hope that there are OTA channels to record and a method to have the <whatever Dish device is used> record them.

So buy a hopper 3 and have more channels than I’ll every likely need. Or a Hopper 2 that can record 3 +2 OTA. And they BOTH make the current dome obsolete (as it sounds like so do the 722 and Wally?). So, other than most likely being a few bucks cheaper, WHY would I get a Hopper 2? Does it do things the Hopper 3 doesn’t? Is it less painful to hook up to the satellite signal and/or require fewer add-on devices?

Am I correct that there are advantages to at least a Hopper 2 over the 211 or 722 or Wally? The others are limited to a TOTAL of 2 concurrent recordings, correct? Are OTA channels in addition to the 2 satellite channels on the other DVR devices or is it two total?

Can recordings be transferred from a Hopper 3 to a Hopper 2 or is it only possible between two Hopper 3s?

Can someone explain the “eastern and western arc LNBF”? Does this mean the 1000.2 won’t work in one part of the country or another? Do I have to change something if I’m in Death Valley as opposed to Savanah, GA?

Thank you Brussam for getting the different goals when traveling… We time shift pretty much everything. Especially when traveling. Out doing stuff, programs get recorded and get watched at night when we’re done or on rainy days (In the UP a couple months ago, we had 10 straight days of rain. And cold. Since I was in a workshop for 7 days and we couldn’t leave sooner, it was very nice to have a bunch of series and movies to watch.

I’m sometimes off for several hours (to all day) while the domestic associate is at the RV. Having the ability to watch live or recorded shows helps keep her happy.

Again, as Brussam said… GOOD Internet connection and pretty much ANY campground I’ve EVER been in do NOT go together. Many of the nice, woodsy, out-of-the-way campgrounds have NO wi-fi, often no OTA tv, and sometimes no Verizon (or ATT or T-Mobile or Sprint) cell signal. I’m reluctant to hope we consistently have a GOOD Internet connection OR good cell connection… This certainly hasn’t proven the case in this or past years.

My experience aiming a manual dish was with Directv. So, with the 1000.2, I’m traveling ALONE in the middle of some forested area, and I find a spot I THINK will see the Dish satellites. Does the 1000.2 have something that will make it DRASTICALLY easier to aim than the total pain in the behind the Directv dish was? That was the biggest reason we went to the 1518. Drop it in a place that can see South, plug it in, and it does its job. So, when you’re by yourself, and the only TV in the RV is inside the RV attached to the wall, and you’re 50 feet away from there, HOW, in that 15 minutes, do you set up the 1000.2 and KNOW you’ve got all the right signals so everything will work?

Always used a meter at the dish. Sometimes I was 200' away, very hard to hear the receiver at that distance.

Using DPP technology dish, a lot of reasonable priced meters handle aiming the dish. For Hybrid Hopper 3, the meter choice drops to very limited pricey options. Tools make the difference. In my heyday, a daily stop of aiming a Hughesnet internet dish, and a DPP 1000.2 tripod for Dish was a matter of thirty minutes including tripod setup.

Aiming through the trees with a dome is no simpler than with a tripod. At least with a tripod, you can have an idea of the hole you are trying to shoot through. There is no magic to a dome of shooting through trees.

Just like enough bandwidth internet, campgrounds are very often not near OTA towers to get good signals with the antennas RVs come with.

Reactions: NYDutch

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts