Trying to get a slimline installed

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dcwebman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 21, 2006
Spring, TX
I thought it was going to be a good visit from my local D* installer this past weekend but it turned out to be a disaster. I am upgrading from an HR10-250 to an HR20. I live in an apartment where they had trouble before getting a Phase 3 dish installed and this time they need to install a Slimline for the new HD channels.

They showed up with no dish on the work order. What? He had the HR20 in his hands but we went to discuss the dish mounting. He pretty much freaked out when he saw that he couldn't mount a Slimline on the building, outside pole, or anything. Sorry, nobody said your job was always going to be easy. He said that he didn't have a pole or anything to mount a Slimline so the appointment rescheduled but at least he had the receiver with him. I guess I totally misunderstood what he said at that point.

He gets on the phone to reschedule so there's a dish on the work order and he's watching me struggle getting the HR10-250 out of the entertainment center. I finally get it out, he gets off the phone, and starts walking out the door, HR20 in hands saying somebody will give me a call for the reschedule date. Huh? Fine, give me the HR20 so I can put it in. Oh no, since we rescheduled, that means I can't leave it. Why didn't he tell me that when he saw me struggling to get the other one out???

I called D* installation this morning to complain about this and get the "our systems are down right now so I can't look up anything. Try again this afternoon." So on a Monday, they can't do anything because their computers are down? Doesn't make sense to me.

Anyways, I guess I just wanted to rant and wonder if anybody else has had a problem getting a Slimline installed on an apartment balcony when it has to stay on the balcony?
Jeff

I thought it was going to be a good visit from my local D* installer this past weekend but it turned out to be a disaster. I am upgrading from an HR10-250 to an HR20. I live in an apartment where they had trouble before getting a Phase 3 dish installed and this time they need to install a Slimline for the new HD channels.

They showed up with no dish on the work order. What? He had the HR20 in his hands but we went to discuss the dish mounting. He pretty much freaked out when he saw that he couldn't mount a Slimline on the building, outside pole, or anything. Sorry, nobody said your job was always going to be easy. He said that he didn't have a pole or anything to mount a Slimline so the appointment rescheduled but at least he had the receiver with him. I guess I totally misunderstood what he said at that point.

He gets on the phone to reschedule so there's a dish on the work order and he's watching me struggle getting the HR10-250 out of the entertainment center. I finally get it out, he gets off the phone, and starts walking out the door, HR20 in hands saying somebody will give me a call for the reschedule date. Huh? Fine, give me the HR20 so I can put it in. Oh no, since we rescheduled, that means I can't leave it. Why didn't he tell me that when he saw me struggling to get the other one out???

I called D* installation this morning to complain about this and get the "our systems are down right now so I can't look up anything. Try again this afternoon." So on a Monday, they can't do anything because their computers are down? Doesn't make sense to me.

Anyways, I guess I just wanted to rant and wonder if anybody else has had a problem getting a Slimline installed on an apartment balcony when it has to stay on the balcony?
Jeff

Good luck with that balcony install. Do you fully comprehend how big that dish is? It is 32.5" wide!

And the LNB mount sticks out around 30" from the bottom of the dish as well. Then, remember, you need to stabilize the dish with 2 monopoles to keep it from vibrating in gusts of wind. Basically, this means that you have a tripod footprint for the mounting arm.

You said they had trouble getting a Phase III dish installed, but the Phase III dish looks like a toy next to a Slimline. Standing next to the Slimline dish I have, the top of the installed dish comes up to my solar plexus. Maybe you have a really, really big balcony. If you do, congrats.

But even if you can get that dish mounted, you won't have much space, if any, left on your balcony. (Hope you like the looks of the slimline, because that is about all you will see when you look out the balcony window or sliding door.)

I'd look very carefully at the space and mounting requirements for a Slimline dish before I'd go any furthur with your plan for a balcony mount.

Really odd

I had an install scheduled for 7/21 of a 5LNB in place of 3LNB and install new HR20. Directv truck and driver showed up within the window of install appointment. He then asked me what was wrong ! Nothing, I told him the install appointment was for dish change and HR20 install. He gets on the phone and then asks to see the dish. Right as he sees the dish, there are no dishes in the truck and gives me the phone to talk to the installer dispatcher. The dispatcher says, no info like that on the work order, have to set a new appointment 8-12 or 12-5. OK, set it up for 7/28 - maybe. Got a bit upset and asked to speak to DTV person (not CSR). Manager comes on and apoligizes (many times). I asked him if can spell COMCAST (no reply). Blames it all on the retailer. So I call the retailer, can't find the info on my purchase, has to wait for the CSR there to arrive and log in to the DB. Suggests maybe the install can be done Sunday (hahaha - really funny). Call back from Retailer CSR - nope no Sunday but monday. I don't get home from work until aftger 5PM and then she tells me oh, we can 4-8PM with the request to not show up until after 5PM. Accessed my DTV account and shows the install 12-5 today.
Retailer calls the installer company and their computers are down !!!!
New call back and retailer CSR confirms installer will be arrive between 5-8PM. Of course it is raining today ! Asked if the installer will have all parts needed, ' 0h yes.

We shall see what happens. The HR 20 box stays sealed until the dish is installed on the H20 receivers.

The sad story of DTV install (this is the 3rd time they have blown installs in some manner). Dish does not sound any better and FIOS seems a long way away as the US of Verizon don't like my town.....

Same thing happened on my install. Truck came in, driver found out I needed a new dish. Showed me it wasn't on the order. He did have a dish, but it was missing the necessary LNB/multiswitch assembly. He said he would put in everything but the assembly and come back the next day with the missing piece, which was fine with me.

When he came back with the LNB assembly, he said that all 3 DirecTV warehouses in the Twin Cities were completely out of AU9 dishes and weren't expecting any more until sometime this week. I got the last one. Good thing I got the one he had in his truck. The next install he had on his list had to be rescheduled.

sorry, you folks are having problems. i guess i was lucky i didn't.

if you both have established account numbers, i would email directv and tell them your problems. they are very quick to respond. i prefer this method because it gives you the infamous paper trail to cover your butt when or if directv tries to hose you! good luck....let us know what happens.

I finally got through to D* installation when the computers were up. Sure enough, she couldn't find on the work order that a dish was needed too. She put in the work request again and said I would receive a phone call within 24 hours from a manager to schedule it. Let's see, 6 hours left for that phone call.

Every time I have had this install company, there has been some kind of problem. Unfortunately D* says that's the only one they have I can use.

ShiningBengal, thanks for the advice. Fortunately I do have a huge balcony and have no plans on putting a table/chairs on there so if it's one huge dish picking up HD channels, that's fine with me. :) This installer told me to get a 1x4 to attach to the balcony railing and a couple pipe clamps so that when they come back with a 2" pipe, they'll be able to attach the dish. Perhaps I need to show a photo of my balcony. Regardless, if I want D* HD or any satellite for that matter, I have to do a balcony install in this apartment complex. Since this is my first apartment, that's the one thing I have learned that stinks about apartments vs. houses.

Last edited:
Just for grins, here's my current dish installation that I'm still waiting for D* to call to schedule the upgrade to the Slimline. The tripod's rear leg is screwed to the floor and the other legs zip-tied to the balcony and it doesn't move. The big problem I have is the eaves right above the balcony since I'm on the 3rd floor, so the 119 satellite is weaker but the other two come in great. That should mean if we can get the Slimline there, the 99 and 103 should come in fine too.
balcony.jpg

Just for grins, here's my current dish installation that I'm still waiting for D* to call to schedule the upgrade to the Slimline. The tripod's rear leg is screwed to the floor and the other legs zip-tied to the balcony and it doesn't move. The big problem I have is the eaves right above the balcony since I'm on the 3rd floor, so the 119 satellite is weaker but the other two come in great. That should mean if we can get the Slimline there, the 99 and 103 should come in fine too.
balcony.jpg

Now that deserves a "gotta get my HD" award. :up :p

Got a Slimline installed!

After much effort and ingenuity between a patient installer and me, we finally got a Slimline dish installed on my apartment balcony. All satellite signals are coming in fine now. The only problem is that the balcony railing is one of those vinyl ones so if a big wind comes, the railing is going to shake and I'm guessing my signal is going to be lost too. He said to call them if there's a problem so the only thing I think we can do better is to move the setup all the way to the left toward the wall so it's sturdier.
slimlinedish.jpg

Jeff

FWIW, when I was getting my HR20 and AT-9 installed, I too had an issue where they had to come back to do the dish install and I was told that they could not leave anything (dish or rec. ) unless the order was complete.

Jimbo

My suggestion for anchoring the install would be to do basically what you did before.

I would install two support legs to both sides of the fence post and anchor them to the deck and post.

I suggest that to secure to the post, that you not just use screws into the vinyl post. That would be too flimsy and would come loose in a short time. I would bolt through the post and secure both supports with some type of brackets with two bolts.

Anchor into the porch deck. Be sure to seal the fasteners penetrating the waterproofing membrane. Your neighbor would appreciate it not leaking onto his patio ceiling.

I'll post a link to a higher res photo tonight when I get home.

Right now, the 1x6 board is secured against the fence under a lip at the top and then at the bottom there are 2 angle brackets screwed into the porch. I can't screw into the vinyl fence so the 1x6 is zip-tied all over to hold it tight. It's really secure but the problem is if you shake the dish, it will move because the top of the fence will move. I can't really put any brackets on the outside of the fence because that really won't solve the problem of the top of the fence being able to move. I think I'll try it as it is but if I do have a problem, all I need to do is remove the zip-ties, unscrew 2 screws in the porch and move the whole assembly to the left toward the wall.

The patio walls and apartment building are supposed to be painted in the next month or two so I'm hesitant to move it right now because the dish would probably block their painting and then the complex may force me to remove it. After they're done painting, I just may move it toward the wall anyway just to make sure.

The two support legs from the top of the board to the deck might help with the top of the fence moving. I'll just need to find something that would work as support legs.

I recommend looking into a non penetrating roof mount. The slimline needs to be sighted in properly using the fine tune adjustments to insure peak reception from the 99 and 103 sats.(which will be far less forgiving than the existing birds) when they come on line. Though it may not be likely, I would sure hate to be the tech. that installed a 30-40 pound dish that broke free from a vinyl railing and landed on a child.

I recommend looking into a non penetrating roof mount. The slimline needs to be sighted in properly using the fine tune adjustments to insure peak reception from the 99 and 103 sats.(which will be far less forgiving than the existing birds) when they come on line.
Unfortunately impossible for my apartment complex as they won't allow mounts like that. I'm going to have to hope the support legs is the answer.

i mean for the non-pen to go on your deck, though that may be what you mean too.

I recommend looking into a non penetrating roof mount. The slimline needs to be sighted in properly using the fine tune adjustments to insure peak reception from the 99 and 103 sats.(which will be far less forgiving than the existing birds) when they come on line. Though it may not be likely, I would sure hate to be the tech. that installed a 30-40 pound dish that broke free from a vinyl railing and landed on a child.

I didn't know that they made a Non Penatrating set up for the 5 lnb set up.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)