Trying to get Dish to send a new smart card

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
I know Dish is working the card swap, but is it possible to have Dish send you a new card now?

I have a 301 that I reactivated before x-mas and it has a blue card in it. I was checking out some channels yesterday and when I clicked on the channel, the screen said “you must have a new smart card before continuing”. This was on MLB EI (which I don’t subscribe to but thought the freeview was still on) and other channels (yeah, other channels) ;)

I called Dish to see if I could get a new smartcard and the guy in tech said it was a computerized system and I’ll be getting the new card when it came time. I know one of my relatives got a new card because they had Playboy :)

I was thinking of getting MLB EI, but until I have the new card, I have to wait. Also, since I have nothing to hide (not a hacker), I would like the new Nagra2 card just to say I am up to date :D
But it seems weird that Dish won't send one out until "my account comes up".

Iceberg said:
... This was on MLB EI (which I don’t subscribe to but thought the freeview was still on) and other channels (yeah, other channels) ;)

I tried to get to the MLB previews last week, but no dice. They were active the week before.

if one of your current receivers has the yellow card and you activate a old receiver that has the blue one, they will send a yellow card within the week. that is what happened to me.

had a 508 with yellow card....sold that and swapped it with the 301 that has a blue card (and 2 sets of locals on it) :)

I think it has to do something with what package you have...I know this is how ExpressVu is doing the card swap

korsjs said:
if one of your current receivers has the yellow card and you activate a old receiver that has the blue one, they will send a yellow card within the week. that is what happened to me.

Not true... I just recently(month ago) activated a receiver with a blue card (501) and haven't received a new one yet....

So I still have 2 501's with a blue card...

What channels is the 301 not allowing you to see? It seems to me that if it is blocking channels that you are paying for they'd have to send you new access cards! Call them up and see if you can get them to send you a new card based on the fact you can't see some of your channels. Don't just ask where's my card, tell them your service is being interupted because you don't have the new cards.

Good luck,

tonyp56 said:
What channels is the 301 not allowing you to see?

right now nothing (I have just locals) but was thinking of getting MLB EI or maybe some "other programming" ;)

Bummer, I have the card laying here in the mailer that I got from E* was suprised I actually got one, considering since I sub only to skyangel ( used to have AT180 but terminated that awhile ago) that I'd be one of the last ones to get the new card.. I guess having an older receiver (4900) some how played into this :) or I just got lucky and the computer picked me :) -- shame winning the lotto isnt this easy!

I recently sold a 501 with a blue card, and the buyer had to fight the E* idiots over the card - the wanted to charge him for it. @$$#0le$

Eventually, he beat them into submission - he's from my old stomping grounds near Philly. We do NOT take "no" for an answer. :D

Iceberg said:
...sold that and swapped it with the 301 that has a blue card (and 2 sets of locals on it)
be aware that a card swap will lose those extra locals. I had a 3100 (Expressvu version of 301) that had extra channels on it that it seemed couldn't be removed, but the card swapout "fixed" that.

I bet if you threatened to cancel your service and walk over to Dtv if they didnt send you the new card, they might have a different attitude. Try getting connected to the cancellation dept or retention dept.

I bought a 6000 with blue card awhile ago, and it took ALL DAY to play csr roulette to get them to send a new card. Heres the funny part. My sub is the HD pack. The csrs were oblivious to the fact I couldnt get video on anything besides the info channels. "Hmm maybe we need to reauthorize it". We know more about their system than their employees. I bet we can include Jim and Charlie in that too. :)

Iceberg, you ever try downloading your "other stuff"? It might save you some money ;)

Derwin0 said:
be aware that a card swap will lose those extra locals. I had a 3100 (Expressvu version of 301) that had extra channels on it that it seemed couldn't be removed, but the card swapout "fixed" that.

uh oh....maybe I don't want that then :)

With 2 sets of locals and 2 distant Fox nets on it, maybe I can forgo adding programming

Speaking of the new access Card, I now get channel 579 "CRDEX" Card Exchange Instructional Video"

:) Man why cant charlie add REAL compelling content :)

I got a thing in the mail when receiving a new card that if I did not send back the old card that I would get charged $49 for it. The CSR said this was not so and made notes on the account in case it did happen to where they would reverse the charges. I told them I would have to drive to the nearest town that deals with UPS in order to get it shipped out which costs me time and money (gas, etc).

Stargazer said:
I got a thing in the mail when receiving a new card that if I did not send back the old card that I would get charged $49 for it. The CSR said this was not so and made notes on the account in case it did happen to where they would reverse the charges. I told them I would have to drive to the nearest town that deals with UPS in order to get it shipped out which costs me time and money (gas, etc).

That's odd because with my Blue card, they said "distroy it" I have to admit the swap was plainless (I knew what to expect anyways) Only one glitch, I had to power off the receiver and back on after programming game back to get Skyangel to reappear in the guide. (was only seeing the international preview when the card authorized)

Dish has a sc replacement department that csr's can transfer you to. If you tell a csr that you want to order MLB EI but say you cant cause you dont have a yellow card, he can transfer you to the sc replacement team and they will get you out a card. They arent going to lose out on a $160 package over a SC. If it comes down to it, just ask to be transfered to the dept and talk to them.

Only one glitch, I had to power off the receiver and back on after programming game back to get Skyangel to reappear in the guide.

when you first install the yellow sc, it is a normal to have to do a front panel reset to get your locals to mapdown and/or other program to download into the yellow sc.

one good thing with the yellow sc.. The old blue cards when first put in, would sometimes take up to 24 hours for complete authorization (programing, epg time/info, blackout restrictions, etc)

with the new yellow card, the wait is 5 minutes...
that 5 minutes also goes for the built-in cards (311, 322, 522, 811)

Damian_1999 said:
Dish has a sc replacement department that csr's can transfer you to. If you tell a csr that you want to order MLB EI but say you cant cause you dont have a yellow card, he can transfer you to the sc replacement team and they will get you out a card. They arent going to lose out on a $160 package over a SC. If it comes down to it, just ask to be transfered to the dept and talk to them.

I told them (tech group...not CSR) I wanted to order a channel that had that message and they told me what I posted in 1st message. I might call them back today and see what they say :)

well last night went out and got the mail (and took out garbage) and lo and behold in my mail is my yellow card :)

Gonna get it working tonight (hopefully all my channels are there)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)