Trying to get my SG-2100 motor installed with Viewsat Extream

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ken2400

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Central NY State
I bought a SG-2100 motor at a Hamfest for $15. It is missing the nuts and ubolts.
I plugged it in and setup my lat long. I messed around in the menus on my Viewsat Extream and it moved.

So after I bolt all this up.
What do I need to do?

I download the manual and I think Brasilsat B3 is my true south sat?
Zip is 13502

Thanks

Last edited:
OK from this page
NOAA's Geophysical Data Center - Geomagnetic Data
So set the pole plum
Mount motor to pole
Set my angle of the motor to my lat 43
Get the compass and pos the motor to mag south + 13,8'
Set the angle of the dish to 40-6.6. This is from the table in the motor book

So after this I go into the menu and tell it to move to a given sat after punching in the lat long?

Nice write-up in the other post. Thanks

Thanks

Once you have the angles set, and the dish/motor assembly on the pole , then have your receiver move the motor to the true south satellite, with an active transponder on the setup screen.
You will now move the dish assembly on the pole, just barely east or west, trying to get lock on the transponder.
Once you have some Q on your receiver, you can make tiny adjustments to the azimuth, and dish elevation setting, to optimize the Quality.
Then tighten everything snugly.
Set up another satellite, and send the dish over there with the receiver, again to a known hot transponder . If it finds it, you should be mighty close, and check across the arc.
:)

Set the angle of the dish to 40-6.6.

Haven't seen a SD2100 with a 40 degree tube in years.

Check the table in the back of the owners manual that was supplied with your motor. Most likely the dish angle calculation will be 30 degrees minus the declination, not 40 degrees.

I just switched from a SG2100 to a 9120B. The tube angle is identical and the instructions with the 9120 read that declination should be 40 - 6.7 or about 33 degrees (I'm 2 hours north of you ken). It ended up being 30 - 6.7 or thereabouts, so the manufacturer must be using the same table.

If you have a circular LNB (Dish or Directtv) it makes finding the arc a lot easier. That's what I ended up doing. You can slowly move it around in front of your dish and get a good idea where you are. It was a lot easier to fine tune once I found the D, E and Nimiq sats.

Your true south sat will be Horizons 2 at 74W. There are currently no steady FTA channels there, so you will need to use the data TP at 12060 V 27695 for aiming. I don't think Brasilsat covers North America.

When I bought the motor all the bolts and square u bolts were missing.
I am having trouble getting the right square u bolt. I can find a 3" x 7" BUT it is too long and does not have the part that bits into the pipe.
What should I use? How should I mod the square u bolts I found?

Thanks

Go to an auto parts store and find a muffler clamp that your 3x7 u bolt will fit. If your u bolt has threads enough to tighten the motor down, determine how just how long you need it, put a nut on it first, then cut it off to the length you need. By putting the nut on before you cut it will clean the threads when you take it off after you cut it. If it doesn't have enough threads, use lots of washers or bigger nuts to give you something to tighten to.

I have some spare parts left over, part of a kit I bought from Sadoun, for the SG2100 from 4 years ago. You can have them , if they'll do the trick. PM me , if they look tempting.

Attachments

• IMG_0412[1].jpg
    IMG_0412[1].jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 149
I would like to thank brentb636 for his offer. :up:up I sent PM.

In the mean time I will try some large hose clamps. I will move over to brentb636 parts when i get them.

Keep ya posted on how it all works out.

Making some progress.
30 deg is correct.

I was able to get 101W AMC4. While trying to find 97W.
Will keep updating.
Thanks

I did not bother with the hose clamps. I did it working somewhat with the 7" long square bolts but now new parts are in.

In the mean time I will try some large hose clamps. I will move over to brentb636 parts when i get them.

Parts from brentb636 show up on Sat. Will find time in next week or so to install. Will post pics too.

Thanks

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts